FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Immigrant Boycott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

what, put up a massive steel/concrete wall like the magriot line(sp?) like the french did to the germans(learned about it recently in Western Civ.)

that might work, it would have to be massive though

hahahaa, yeah, that worked well for the frech since the germans just went around it.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

what, put up a massive steel/concrete wall like the magriot line(sp?) like the french did to the germans(learned about it recently in Western Civ.)

that might work, it would have to be massive though

hahahaa, yeah, that worked well for the frech since the germans just went around it.
But it DID work well for Israel...

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

OT, but Caly, where in Michigan do you live?

And people in Michigan have a lot of knowledge when it comes to immigration--- we deal with Canadians everyday and Dearborn (15 minutes away from me) is the LARGEST population of Arabs outside of the middle east.
So linus, what are the figures on Canadians immigrating to Michigan?
Too many

But in all seriousness, I dont know. All I know is that half the people i know are Canadian and they live here, and that there are a lot of Arabs in Dearborn (It IS the largest Arab population outside of Middle East... which means they IMMIGRATED here...)

daniero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:19pm
I've been reading most of your conversation guys, I would like to just add some thoughts. As you can see I'm mexican. I don't really know what will happen with that thing going on in the house of representatives (that's how it's called right?) right now, but I don't support illegal immgration, and I don't think that boycott thing would be something positive for mexicans looking to become citizens, in fact I think is the other way around completely, since if they want to live over there, why would they need to do such a thing?

I've thought about going to live over to US, but not ilegally, but I don't think I'd like to go live over there, but then again I'm not in a desperate situation like others in my country.

Someone mentioned some women go over there pregnant and that way they can't be deported after giving birth. A couple of weeks ago , in the news there was the story of a woman who had 2 small girls (2 months and 3 years old each) and she was caught and sent to Mexico. Now tell me, will she just leave those 2 babies over there? no, she desperately looked for any means possible to return, during a week she was returned twice, and on the third time, she was almost caught when a pickup truck was passing by close to the group of people with whom she was walking with to go across the border, and what she did is she dropped to the ground and took some brushes to hide, but the pickup truck passed right over her legs. Some how she managed to return, got medical care and is living with her daughters (right now in their 20s).

Well, you could probably say none of this would have happened if she hadn't gone over there in the first place. And the debate is there. The most troublesome part is that men usually travel to find jobs and send money to their families, and a lot of them stop caring about their families and simply live their lives from there. At this moment these mothers with children have to make a choice... look for their husbands, or go across the border to support their kids.

There are so many things that happen around those people that make them take those decisions. Still I don't support that people go illegally to the US. Let's see what happens with the resolutions

If I had a chance to go to work over to the US, I would certainly take it. I mean, I could earn a full year's worth of earnings in 4 months working over there, but then again, I won't do it the improper way.

Just my $0.02
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:41pm
Again, I will be right upfront in saying I haven't really read anything before page six, or after halfway thru page 7... and am not getting involved in the debates... just piping in with my one cent...

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

And the issue largely isn't about citizenship - citizenship is just the last step in a tortured path towards full legal status.

Most of the proposals involve guest worker programs of some kind or other.  We already have guest worker programs, but most illegals do not qualify under existing categories.  What a new guest worker program would do would be to expand on this system, and create new categories that would envelop domestic/agricultural workers.

This would make these people "legal", but nowhere near citizens.

Agreed.   I am wholeheartedly in favor of a "Guest Worker" program. I am wholeheartedly in favor of expanding current quotas on work visas, etc. Granted, I know that under any "Guest" program... you'll have people stick around when it's their turn to leave... but oh well.   To say that it needs expansion especially in the agri/domestic industry is an understatement... it needs to be jacked up exponentially.

I'm all for the fence. I'm all for tighter border security. But I'm also all for a substantial Guest Worker program. It won't meet the needs of everyone... but it would meet enough of the needs of many immigrant workers, and their employers, to get by.

Edited by ShortyBP - 03 May 2006 at 7:41pm
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:43pm

Originally posted by daniero daniero wrote:

A couple of weeks ago , in the news there was the story of a woman who had 2 small girls (2 months and 3 years old each) and she was caught and sent to Mexico. Now tell me, will she just leave those 2 babies over there? no, she desperately looked for any means possible to return, during a week she was returned twice, and on the third time, she was almost caught when a pickup truck was passing by close to the group of people with whom she was walking with to go across the border, and what she did is she dropped to the ground and took some brushes to hide, but the pickup truck passed right over her legs. Some how she managed to return, got medical care and is living with her daughters (right now in their 20s).

Something about that story doesn't sound right.

The rule is that you can apply for a green card through adult children (18+) that are citizens.  Having citizen minor children doesn't give you any rights.  But when they deport the mother, they send the children along, citizens or otherwise.  They certainly aren't supposed to keep the minor children while sending the mother back.

The way the scam works is that the pregnant woman sneaks across, gives birth, gets birth certificate for her child, gets deported or leaves, and then comes back 18 years later.  It requires a bit of patience.

daniero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Something about that story doesn't sound right.

The rule is that you can apply for a green card through adult children (18+) that are citizens.  Having citizen minor children doesn't give you any rights.  But when they deport the mother, they send the children along, citizens or otherwise.  They certainly aren't supposed to keep the minor children while sending the mother back.

As of the rule, may be she now has the green card, but this happened when neither of the girls were 18+ (born in the US, I didn't state that). At that moment she was deported, no questions asked.
American Hero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American Hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 9:06pm
There is no way we should let them in the country, they're called ILLEGAL immigrants for a reason, they should be deportated because they are criminals.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic