Poll Question: what gas do you use or prefer in your A-5
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
20 [58.82%]
2 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
moondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what gas do you use/prefer in your A-5
    Posted: 30 April 2006 at 9:27pm

Go ahead and give an explanation if you would like.

I really just want to know what's best to use with my new A-5, and I'm sure it will healp others

Balor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 9:34pm
Cheap, cheap, inexpensive, cheap. Other than that it doesn't require the little additions that CO2 does and I have no experience with N2.
A-5
E-Grip w/ WAS board
JCS Jet Click Ratchet
CAR Stock
12" Palmer Brass Barrel
Remote
68/4500 Crossfire HPA
Polished Internals
Maddmann Spring Kit

http://www.a5og.net/

iceman1186 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceman1186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 9:45pm
HPA
TJ-AmbushSniper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ-AmbushSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2007 at 12:39pm
HPA for sure. It holds pressure longer, the fill cost is about the same, its more stable, temp doesnt bother it much, i can use as well in 30 degree weather as in 90 degree weather. Tanks are about double the cost of CO2 but it is worth it. Someone told me you could use N2/Nitrogen in a HPA tank but that is unconfirmed by me yet. I have a 48ci Draxxus air tank that is aluminum and works well, if you have the money, i guess a carbon fiber tank would be lighter but i think the aluminum ones are fine, i got my 48ci 3000psi tank for about 65 bucks so its not too bad.
-Tippmann A-5
Double Trigger
X7 Hopper to replace A5
-Draxxus 48ci 3000psi HPA
-Proto Switch EL Camo

Lost Kaim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2008 at 6:35pm
I use Co2 for now simply because I don't really have the money to buy a good HPA Tank just yet but sooner or later I will get around to it.
Tippmann A-5
14" Lapco Bigshot
Opsgear G36 Stock
32 Degrees Coiled Remote with Slide Check
JT 3-point Tactical Sling
Co2 Tank - 20oz
GXG Tactical Vest
VForce Profiler
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2008 at 7:27pm

/Facepalm

Alright, here's the low down:

For all intents and purposes, HPA and N2 act exactly the same. They're interchangeable in the tanks and have no real advantage over one another. The only reason N2 was even used (and it's very rare to find an N2 fill these days) is that N2 is inert while the oxygen and other components in the air we breath aren't. In a atmosphere of pure Nitrogen, it is impossible to make something catch fire. The concerns with early HPA systems and lack of knowledge on the end-user part prompted the industry to initially use N2 to keep any accidents from occurring should someone accidentally put oil into their tank one way or another. With N2, the oil wouldn't do anything under pressure. With HPA, it acts like diesel fuel under pressure and ignites which can cause damage to the tank.

That said, HPA has the advantage over CO2 of not reacting adversely in cold weather. The drop in temperature needed to form liquid N2 or to make some of the gases in HPA liquefy, you'd need immense pressure and temperatures that would freeze you solid almost instantly. This means that you have a constant pressure per volume unit of output. CO2, on the other hand, can be tricky as it takes longer for it to "boil off" when it is cold out, so it can cause issues with poorly engineered markers and wreak havoc on your consistency and velocity. Per volume unit of measure, you get more shots per tank of CO2.

They both have their pluses. They both have their minuses. Just depends on the needs of you and your marker.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2008 at 10:09pm
HPA, just because it's more consistent and less weather dependent. However, Tippmanns run perfectly fine with CO2, so it's entirely up to you. If you run CO2 with a Palmers Stabilizer (or other CO2 compatible reg), you can get comparable consistency to HPA.
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
aceoverdrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceoverdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 5:33pm
defintely hpa because the a-5s are gas hoggers and with co2 u dont last nearly as long as u do with hpa
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by aceoverdrive aceoverdrive wrote:

defintely hpa because the a-5s are gas hoggers and with co2 u dont last nearly as long as u do with hpa

And again....

HPA has less energy per unit than CO2. A 68ci/4500psi tank will only get you around 600 shots through an A-5. A 20oz CO2 tank will get you almost as many shots with half the needed volume. This is due to the fact that CO2 can be compressed to a liquid far more readily than HPA (which would precipitate out over a range due to it's multi-elemental makeup).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 6:37pm
600? That doesn't sound right... My CPro gets over 1000 easy from a 68/45... are the A5s really that different? I was under the impression the gas efficiency was about the same. Though your right about the CO2/HPA comparison bit.

EDIT: 1000 posts . Didn't notice until I saw 2 stars in my post...

Edited by Ilford Rule - 15 January 2008 at 6:38pm
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 6:41pm

No A5's arent as bad on CO2 and HPA as many people believe it would be.  These guys did some testing and said it finished dead middle which would still give you at least 1000 shots.

http://www.scubatoys.com/paintball/paintballshots.asp

Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 7:14pm
I was basing the figure off of the standard CVX valve performance at 70*F and no regulation (850psi input or higher).
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 7:35pm
I, personally, prefer CO2 with all my Tippmanns.

For whatever reason, I get better performance with CO2. I definitely get more shots per tank with CO2.

From a logical perspective, HPA/N2 would be the better choice. Not affected by weather, faster recharge rate given it's already in gaseous form, etc.   But despite that, I use CO2... and leave my HPA tanks for the Timmy.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I was basing the figure off of the standard CVX valve performance at 70*F and no regulation (850psi input or higher).

I'm using the standard valve with no post-tank downstream regulation... 850 PSI labeled output of the tank...

14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
Tang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 11:37am
think tallen702 is realy talking aboot a 68/3000 tank...
smg-60
sl-68
68 special
A-5
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Tang Tang wrote:

yeah.... I put 68/4500 didn't I? Anyway, it still stands.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by ShortyBP ShortyBP wrote:

I, personally, prefer CO2 with all my Tippmanns.
For whatever reason, I get better performance with CO2.

Same here.  Since I only play in warm weather, CO2 works fine for me.  Plus I have an older A5 (SN 372) that really hates compressed air.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Tang Tang wrote:

yeah.... I put 68/4500 didn't I? Anyway, it still stands.

OK, now I'm not confused
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
Stormy Knight View Drop Down
Deactivated by request

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormy Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 4:58am

I've always had good results with C02 on my A-5.  I can get a little over half a case of paint on a 20oz bottle.  I switched over to HPA because I tend to play early and late in the season where I don't get as good performance on C02.

A-5
Armson DOT Sight
Armson Raised Sightrail
DOP Bullet Drop
DOP RVA
DOP X-Core
DOP Vertical Adapter
E-Grip(APE)
Flatline Barrel
HPA
JCS Duel Trigger
Lightening Bolt
QEPH
Vortex Mod
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 12:27pm
compressed air will ALWAYS do better than CO2, you can get them for really cheap on Ebay when people are just trying to get rid of thier guns and throw thier tanks in for "free"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic