Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

breaking balls, A-5 super RT, need help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHUNGENILE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUNGENILE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breaking balls, A-5 super RT, need help!
    Posted: 29 April 2006 at 5:52pm

My friend has an A-5 and is breaking balls like crazy. I check everything and have no clue what could be wrong with it. The gun in completely taken apart right now and any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated.

Here is his set up:
A-5
Super RT
QEV
X-chamber (I know he doesn't need this but he use to shoot CO2)
HPA
Double Trigger
Flatline

Here is what happened so far. I took the gun apart and replace the o ring on the front bolt and the rear bolt(yes I put a few drops of oil on it). Replace the power tube with a new one. Put in a brand new sear and blue spring. I have taken this gun apart completely 5 times to clean it out already. Each time after putting it back together I tried something else with no success. I thought it might be the paint so we got a case of marb and it was still breaking. The paint wasn't defective because it shot fine in my gun and I was shooting  my WAS board at 21 bps. Its also not the barrel because I let him use my barrel kit and we matched the paint to bore. Lastly I was thinking that the RT might be pushing the bolt faster than the cyclone so I tried to equalize the pressure. I turn the velocity screw and RT screw all the way down. I than Chrono it to 270fps. Than opened up the RT to get about 12 bps. Played a game and it broke a ball at the beginning of the first game. He bought the gun used so anything could be wrong with it.

Updated 5/8/06:
Alright so I just change out the front bolt, barrel adaptor, ball detent and ratchet. And guess what, no luck. It still chops the balls. It seems like the internals are not moving at a consistent speed.

Edited by CHUNGENILE - 08 May 2006 at 6:28pm
A-5
egrip WAS BOARD
QEV
Palmers Stab
LPK
Ricochet Hopper
Polished Internals
Crossfire 68 4500
Lapco Bigshot
JCS Trigger

Remoteline
red dot
Apex
Empire 11 piece barrel kit
Adj stock
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:11pm
you left out the one detail that's important:

is the gun breaking balls in the barrel, or on the bolt?
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:16pm

i was gonna say that the super r/t outshoots the cyclone but since u tuned it down and still chops i can only think its a poor paint-bore match and its too tight.

didnt realise u had a flatline. My freind used marbs in his flatline i forgot how it performed.
sry i cant help anymore  im stumped

Edited by DsXz - 29 April 2006 at 9:19pm
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 10:17pm
I'll bet your friends cyclone is being starved for air or the ratchet is worn . try your E grip on his marker that would be a good test to rule out the SR/T or remove the "t" banjo fitting and try it stock.
iceman1186 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceman1186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 1:27am
If the cyclone ratchet isnt worn and hes getting air to the cyclone, make sure that the ball dentent isnt in backwards, or even not there.
a5king View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a5king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 4:47am
Try to put the marker back to stock.. and see what happens.
shut up..or i'll blast ur a$$....

DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 1:23pm
i can only guess u got some paint in ur cyclone and its coating all the rest of the balls..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUNGENILE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 1:53am

RavenGuard:

I think it is breaking on the bolt and splattering up into the cyclone because there is paint in there too. When I take the gun apart paint is everywhere, in the cyclone, all over the front bolt, all in the barrel, some on the front of the power tube, its just a big mess.

DsXz:
i was gonna say that the super r/t outshoots the cyclone but since u tuned it down and still chops i can only think its a poor paint-bore match and its too tight.

didnt realise u had a flatline. My freind used marbs in his flatline i forgot how it performed.
sry i cant help anymore  im stumped

It is not paint to bore and it is not the flatline because I tried my barrel kit with it.

cus98tom:
I'll bet your friends cyclone is being starved for air or the ratchet is worn . try your E grip on his marker that would be a good test to rule out the SR/T or remove the "t" banjo fitting and try it stock.

That was going be my next test but I was trying to avoid that if possible.

iceman1186:
If the cyclone ratchet isnt worn and hes getting air to the cyclone, make sure that the ball dentent isnt in backwards, or even not there.

I wouldn't have made a careless mistake like that.

a5king:
Try to put the marker back to stock.. and see what happens.

I don't think that semi fire with the stock version of the gun is fast enough to break balls. Plus I would have to add on one part at a time and test it to rule it out. This would take a lot of time, paint and air.

Any other thoughts on what it could be?

A-5
egrip WAS BOARD
QEV
Palmers Stab
LPK
Ricochet Hopper
Polished Internals
Crossfire 68 4500
Lapco Bigshot
JCS Trigger

Remoteline
red dot
Apex
Adj stock
boom-boom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boom-boom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by CHUNGENILE CHUNGENILE wrote:

RavenGuard:

I think it is breaking on the bolt and splattering up into the cyclone because there is paint in there too. When I take the gun apart paint is everywhere, in the cyclone, all over the front bolt, all in the barrel, some on the front of the power tube, its just a big mess.

If you have a lot of paint in the cyclone, that's the source of your problem. It will throw paint everywhere else. I had the same problem with mine. Your cyclone is either starving for air or there's a problem with the ratchet (make sure it's the newer upgraded one - Soft, clear plastic, not hard and black). Rambino had a great post on cyclone breaks.  http://tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=62300&a mp;PN=1 He's the 2nd post.

Hope this helps.

I'd rather be playing paintball than sitting here talking about it.

GIDEON'S ELITE: Never heard of us? It's cause we're not any good.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 3:31pm
Smells like ratchet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUNGENILE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by boom-boom boom-boom wrote:

RavenGuard:

If you have a lot of paint in the cyclone, that's the source of your problem. It will throw paint everywhere else. I had the same problem with mine. Your cyclone is either starving for air or there's a problem with the ratchet (make sure it's the newer upgraded one - Soft, clear plastic, not hard and black). Rambino had a great post on cyclone breaks.  http://tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=62300&a mp;a mp;PN=1 He's the 2nd post.

Hope this helps.

I read his entire post and I do have the clear ratchet and the updated bottom plate with the "A" on it. I also checked my ratchet and it looks fine to me. I just so happened to have an extra ratchet in my Tippmann A-5 extra parts kit. I will change it out anyways and post an update. Thanks for the insight.

Anyone else have any other suggestions on something to try before putting the gun back together?

A-5
egrip WAS BOARD
QEV
Palmers Stab
LPK
Ricochet Hopper
Polished Internals
Crossfire 68 4500
Lapco Bigshot
JCS Trigger

Remoteline
red dot
Apex
Adj stock
jjclown23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
No idea what’s inappropriate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjclown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 10:55pm
Try putting the gun back together, putting a few paintballs in and cocking it.  Is there a problem with the any of your parts in the cyclone entering the gun?  This happened to  be before, took me hours to figure out the problem.
A-5
Response Trigger
DOP Blade Trigger
Polished Internals
X-Chamber
Custom Paint
14" J&J
boom-boom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boom-boom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 2:55pm

I just so happened to have an extra ratchet in my Tippmann A-5 extra parts kit. I will change it out anyways and post an update. Thanks for the insight.

Be careful. Some of the parts kits don't give you the newer upgraded ratchets. If it's not soft, clear plastic, don't waste your time. Just take it all apart, clean it and give it a good oil. That is, if it in fact IS the ratchet...

I'd rather be playing paintball than sitting here talking about it.

GIDEON'S ELITE: Never heard of us? It's cause we're not any good.
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 4:06pm
Sounds like your paint sucks, there's something up with the detent, or there's a burr on the front bolt or somewhere that the front bolt rubs the balls against.  Check the very back of the barrel for little burrs, the barrel adaptor, and all along the front bolt.  Also check the inside of the reciever where the balls fall.

By the way, if you CHOP one ball, paint will more than likely go into the cyclone, getting paint on all the other balls, and causing them to break too.  Try removing the cyclone and feeding the balls one at a time to see what's really going on.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUNGENILE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 11:27pm

Originally posted by jjclown23 jjclown23 wrote:

Try putting the gun back together, putting a few paintballs in and cocking it.  Is there a problem with the any of your parts in the cyclone entering the gun?  This happened to  be before, took me hours to figure out the problem.

I dont think there is a problem there. What was your problem and how did you fix it?

Edited by CHUNGENILE - 03 May 2006 at 10:48am
A-5
egrip WAS BOARD
QEV
Palmers Stab
LPK
Ricochet Hopper
Polished Internals
Crossfire 68 4500
Lapco Bigshot
JCS Trigger

Remoteline
red dot
Apex
Adj stock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUNGENILE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by boom-boom boom-boom wrote:

I just so happened to have an extra ratchet in my Tippmann A-5 extra parts kit. I will change it out anyways and post an update. Thanks for the insight.

Be careful. Some of the parts kits don't give you the newer upgraded ratchets. If it's not soft, clear plastic, don't waste your time. Just take it all apart, clean it and give it a good oil. That is, if it in fact IS the ratchet...

It is the newer updated ratchet. I'll be sure to oil it too. Thanks

A-5
egrip WAS BOARD
QEV
Palmers Stab
LPK
Ricochet Hopper
Polished Internals
Crossfire 68 4500
Lapco Bigshot
JCS Trigger

Remoteline
red dot
Apex
Adj stock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUNGENILE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 11:42pm

Originally posted by RavenGuard RavenGuard wrote:

Sounds like your paint sucks, there's something up with the detent, or there's a burr on the front bolt or somewhere that the front bolt rubs the balls against.  Check the very back of the barrel for little burrs, the barrel adaptor, and all along the front bolt.  Also check the inside of the reciever where the balls fall.

By the way, if you CHOP one ball, paint will more than likely go into the cyclone, getting paint on all the other balls, and causing them to break too.  Try removing the cyclone and feeding the balls one at a time to see what's really going on.

Its not my paint because I tried it with Marballizer last weekend. My detent, front bolt and barrel adaptor looks fine. But I will go ahead and change those out as well just in case.

Feeding the ball one by one will not tell me anything. The gun works fine when I shoot single shots. I can even do small strings with no problem. It never breaks a ball when chronoing or target practicing. Its only when in a game that we encounter the problem. Maybe because we are trying to sustain longer strings.

A-5
egrip WAS BOARD
QEV
Palmers Stab
LPK
Ricochet Hopper
Polished Internals
Crossfire 68 4500
Lapco Bigshot
JCS Trigger

Remoteline
red dot
Apex
Adj stock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUNGENILE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 6:26pm

Alright so I just change out the front bolt, barrel adaptor, ball detent and ratchet. And guess what, no luck. It still chops the balls. It seems like the internals are not moving at a consistent speed.

Any other ideas or should I just send it back to Tippmann?

A-5
egrip WAS BOARD
QEV
Palmers Stab
LPK
Ricochet Hopper
Polished Internals
Crossfire 68 4500
Lapco Bigshot
JCS Trigger

Remoteline
red dot
Apex
Adj stock
irish_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 4:22pm
I'm having the same prob with my 98... It's like the paint is only being fed half way into the gun before the front bolt nails it. I called tippmann and they said they are sending me some new part for the cyclone, (not the ratchet). Let me know if you fix your problem cause it might help me on my way as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic