Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Crap Marines!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HOInfantry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Crap Marines!!!
    Posted: 19 April 2006 at 5:51pm

Hey,

Never mess with a Mark 19. And those little 40mm grenades...from 20m away, those don't look too little.

We were on the range firing off our MK19s and the tripod that the thing was mounted on gave out completely. So, the gunner, my buddy Miller, was in the middle of his 8-12 round burst and you see each and every round come closer and closer and closer to us.

Luckily, we had packed sandbags on each end of the tripod so it didn't go flat or we would probably be hurtin' but I've never seen so many Marines hit the deck that quickly. At any rate, we had debated removing the sandbags because it didn't seem to help much, but thank God we didn't.

So, be careful.

Good luck!

"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
MP Sniper View Drop Down
Strike 1 Language. 1/22/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MP Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:00pm

those guns are nasty

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:05pm
wait... what happened?  you where shooting stuff, a tripod broke, then somehow a big ass gun was shooting at you?  i'm confused.
X

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:07pm

The tripod gave out on our automatic grenade launcher.

This made the gun shoot incredibly low. As it slowly gave out, the shots got lower and then it suddenly gave out completely and the weight tipped the gun so it shot downwards and fired a 40mm grenade about 20m-25m away from us.

"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
chronic future View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I’m not back in 5 mins.. Wait longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

wait... what happened?  you where shooting stuff, a tripod broke, then somehow a big ass gun was shooting at you?  i'm confused.

thats how i understood it

Jack Carver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:08pm
So burst is like an automatic firing mode? You can't stop in the middle?

I think the barrel started pointing down, and the thing shoots grenades so they were exploding closer and closer to where they were shooting from.

Edit: ok yeah.

That'd be scary as heck. Glad nobody got hurt.

Edited by Jack Carver - 19 April 2006 at 6:08pm
plasoccri View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Stupid Filter Dodge 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plasoccri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:12pm
That sucks. Thank god for sand bags. I own an MK 19. Its plastic and 1:6 the size of what you were shooting.
You can go far with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.

noob rymes with boob(noobest responce ever)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:12pm

No, it's just that when firing the weapon, you don't usually stop in the middle of a burst because you are more focused on seeing where the rounds land, and it's bad for the weapon itself. Those rounds get fired in 1.5 seconds and that's not a whole lot of reaction time to get a cease fire command and react to it.

"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by HOInfantry HOInfantry wrote:

The tripod gave out on our automatic grenade launcher.

This made the gun shoot incredibly low. As it slowly gave out, the shots got lower and then it suddenly gave out completely and the weight tipped the gun so it shot downwards and fired a 40mm grenade about 20m-25m away from us.

oh ok.  wow, you'd think they'd make a tripod that would actually hold the gun.....  that's our military for ya
X

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:23pm

The tripod was meant to support the weapon, it just...didn't. It was locked down, PSO/RSO (range safety/leader people) made usre it was all locked...random fluke I guess.

"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
pbdude985 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbdude985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 6:32pm
wow that is some scary stuff atleast no one got hurt
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 7:02pm

Originally posted by pbdude985 pbdude985 wrote:

wow that is some scary stuff atleast no one got hurt

yea, its definitely good that no ones hurt....gotta love blowing stuff up though...

was there a superior there to tell you to keep going or something? i know marines have a hard core attitude, but safetys safety

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 7:05pm
Nope, we called a cease fire, but the reaction time was less than 1.5 seconds. The last four or five dropped, so like .5 seconds from the first round dipping and the last round fired. Not much time to see the problem, give the command to ceasre fire, and then the gunner reacting on the command.
"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by HOInfantry HOInfantry wrote:

The tripod was meant to support the weapon, it just...didn't. It was locked down, PSO/RSO (range safety/leader people) made usre it was all locked...random fluke I guess.

i know.... i meant you'd think that wouldn't happen though...
X
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 7:09pm

true...ive never fired anything near that thing, but from the way it sounded i thought you meant you kept going anyway, sorry bout that..

gotta love command in general though, eh?

Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 7:25pm
I'll keep that in mind. I go to ITB on Monday. So I'll be sure to remember that when we shoot them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOInfantry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 7:32pm

AHHHHH!!!

ITB, have fun. ITB sucks. Worst time in the Corps I've had, not that I've had a lot. Work hard on the tests if you want 0351 Assaultman. If you want 0331 or 0341, just put it down and you'll probably get it. May get 0352...go for it!!!

Hopefully you won't be in Alpha or Charlie. Alpha has no Friday Libo. Charlie is boot camp. Bravo is...well...breezy Bravo. Delta, not sure about.

Best of luck. Stay well, stay motivated.

Good luck!

"HO is right..."

- Procarbinefreak
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 8:21pm
Didnt the gunner realize the weapon was falling and think to let go of the trigger?
///AMG What?
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 8:24pm
No problem, 20m windup range to arm 40mm grenades, back in the day the funnyist I saw was the old 90mm Recoiless Rifle and Puerto Rican National Guard. We were summer training the PRNG and they had to familiarize on the 90mm RR. My gun had a miss-fire, they followed procedure, opened breech, closed and locked, ateempt to fire, Nada, again. So we go to next misfire procedure, open breech, pull round about 4 in out and slam foward and close breech, attempt to fire, but now the round is swelling and getting hot.....we got a slow burn, so the assistant gunner tries to slam round into breech, it was too swelled and the trooper removed his helmet and tries to hammer round in breech with his helmet, as I rolled back over the sandbags waiting for the big BOOM and body parts.

Thank god it did not go BOOM, it stopped swelling, did some spittin and sputtering and EOD had to come out and blow the gun in the pit. A 90mm HEAT round makes a pretty big hole after 3oz's of C4 helps it along.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

No problem, 20m windup range to arm 40mm grenades, back in the day the funnyist I saw was the old 90mm Recoiless Rifle and Puerto Rican National Guard. We were summer training the PRNG and they had to familiarize on the 90mm RR. My gun had a miss-fire, they followed procedure, opened breech, closed and locked, ateempt to fire, Nada, again. So we go to next misfire procedure, open breech, pull round about 4 in out and slam foward and close breech, attempt to fire, but now the round is swelling and getting hot.....we got a slow burn, so the assistant gunner tries to slam round into breech, it was too swelled and the trooper removed his helmet and tries to hammer round in breech with his helmet, as I rolled back over the sandbags waiting for the big BOOM and body parts.

Thank god it did not go BOOM, it stopped swelling, did some spittin and sputtering and EOD had to come out and blow the gun in the pit. A 90mm HEAT round makes a pretty big hole after 3oz's of C4 helps it along.

Heh... Sounds like the 84mm Carl Gustav...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic