Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BATF on Silencers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
STANGER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BATF on Silencers
    Posted: 07 April 2006 at 6:17pm

I have done some research on "Silencers" for paintball markers/guns. Here is what I found on the BATF website specifically about "Silencers and paintball markers/guns"

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a9

Very interesting and hopefully this will help everyone maybe understand what is legal and not, here in the US.

You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 6:58pm
I've posted that info many times. Anyone who wanted info on it could have just searched the forums.

But eh, who cares. As long as the word is getting out.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
the flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 7:37pm
i want silencers to be leagle!

perhaps the greatest movie ever
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 7:49pm

Originally posted by the flanker the flanker wrote:

I want silencers to be legal!

Talk to your congressman.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 7:50pm

STANGER,

I know that YWSM had posted it before, but I didn't have the site address available. Thank you for posting it!

chronic future View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I’m not back in 5 mins.. Wait longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Originally posted by the flanker the flanker wrote:

I want silencers to be legal!

Talk to your congressman.

and learn to spell.

daveb333 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language & Attitude 6/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveb333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 11:58pm

LMAO  Your so stupid!!  This says paintball silencers, being of their nature and cause.. have been called FIRE ARM silencers!!  DOESNT MEAN PAINTBALL GUN SILENCERS ARE ILLEGAL!  It means that some silencers that have been made can be used with a real firearm, therfor illegal!

It also says you need to pay 200 dollars in order to MANUFACTURE and REGISTER a silencer to make it legal.

A PAINTBALL GUN IS NOT A FIREARM!!

Why not you may ask? 
 Firearm - A weapon, especially a pistol or rifle, capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant!

A paintball is projected by compressed air, not an explosion.  Therefor the BATF does not make the laws of paintball guns/Markers.

Any further questions, dont ask cause ur making urself look stupid by dragging this on further

DjB
JediJak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:31am
Originally posted by daveb333 daveb333 wrote:

LMAO  Your so stupid!!  This says paintball silencers, being of their nature and cause.. have been called FIRE ARM silencers!!  DOESNT MEAN PAINTBALL GUN SILENCERS ARE ILLEGAL!  It means that some silencers that have been made can be used with a real firearm, therfor illegal!

It also says you need to pay 200 dollars in order to MANUFACTURE and REGISTER a silencer to make it legal.

A PAINTBALL GUN IS NOT A FIREARM!!

Why not you may ask? 
 Firearm - A weapon, especially a pistol or rifle, capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant!

A paintball is projected by compressed air, not an explosion.  Therefor the BATF does not make the laws of paintball guns/Markers.

Any further questions, dont ask cause ur making urself look stupid by dragging this on further

ummm... most places consider paintball guns to be firearms but regardless any silencer you can use on a paintball gun, you can also use on a real gun even if it will only last one shot. this is an old argument.
Tippmann Chameleon M98

Upgrades:

14in. Teardrop Barrel
GTA Expansion Chamber
20oz. Co2
Pollished Internals
Tape Mod
Spring Mod

Pic:
http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tippy3qe.jpg
daveb333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveb333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:37am

lol, how are you going to fit the silencer onto the gun?  and no one considers a paintball gun a firearm except little kits on forums like these for one reason - its not one.

I dare you to find a real suppresser for a real gun, that will fit a paintball gun.  The same exact bore!  Visa versa.

Edited by daveb333 - 08 April 2006 at 12:38am
DjB
daveb333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveb333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:41am

The law really only applies to the airsoft guns with more universal sizes such as .45 caliber which matches quite a few guns such as the standerd rifle for the us military - M4 and M16A1 the previous standard rifle for the us military.

Ive done my research, but have you truly done yours?

This includes the research in your brain required to understand information that is given to you.

Edited by daveb333 - 08 April 2006 at 12:42am
DjB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:43am
shut. up. there have already been countless threads on this.
JediJak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:44am
Originally posted by daveb333 daveb333 wrote:

lol, how are you going to fit the silencer onto the gun?  and no one considers a paintball gun a firearm except little kits on forums like these for one reason - its not one.

I dare you to find a real suppresser for a real gun, that will fit a paintball gun.  The same exact bore!  Visa versa.

wow ur ignorance shows in every post.  fitting a silencer that fits on a paintball gun onto a real gun is extremely easy. Ur thinking screw in silencers, many fit on the exterior of the barrel. Paintball and real guns have simmilar exterior barrel diamators(yes i know spelt wrong). Any way a silencer does not fit the the diameter of the projectile completely it is larger than it. The way a silencer works is it catches and muffels the sound from the excaping gasses so the bores do not need to be the same.

And who considers paintball guns fire arms? THE GOVERMENT DOES. You can have fun screwing with them if you like.
Tippmann Chameleon M98

Upgrades:

14in. Teardrop Barrel
GTA Expansion Chamber
20oz. Co2
Pollished Internals
Tape Mod
Spring Mod

Pic:
http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tippy3qe.jpg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 2:04am

I really enjoy the nitpicking that goes on when those have little knowledge and no experience try to bully everyone who disagrees with them. I'll try one more time.

It makes no difference whether a paintball marker is considered a gun, a firearm or a ping-pong paddle. BATF could not care less on to what you install the silencer.

The BATF regulates silencers. The law is clear and specific. Silencers designed to muffle a paintball marker will work quite well on a hand gun or rifle. As JediJak said, people are mistaken to think the James Bond type screw-it-into-the-barrel is the way they are all attached. In fact, few semi-auto handguns can function with a silencer attached directly to the barrel. Most are either a friction fit or use a series of clamps to hold them in place. Most handguns have to be heavily modified to accept a screw-on style of silencer.

A few years ago someone developed a fitting for the end of several rifles and pistols. This fitting was clamped on the end of the barrel and allowed one to screw a 2 liter plastic soda bottle over the end of the barrel...making an extremely effective silencer. The BATF ruled that possession of that fitting was the same as owning a illegal silencer.

One last time, the BATF regulates the devise designed to muffle a weapon. Since a silencer designed to muffle a paintball marker can be applied to a firearm, it is still a regulated devise.

And I just cannot let it pass, if your definition of a firearm is one that requires the ignition of a combustible product to propel the "bullet," Tippmann certainly has blurred the line with the C-3.

Fact is it requires little modification of a paintball marker to turn it into a lethal weapon. Heck, there have already been people killed with standard markers when hit in the eye.

Through the centuries there have been several examples of hunting weapons that used pressure chambers to store compressed air to fire a standard lead bullet. That is just a point of interest, since it has no impact on the regulation of silencers.

Silencers are regulated. Not silencers on firearms, not silencers on paintball markers, not silencers on BB guns or on Airsoft guns. Silencers are regulated.

ETRNL2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETRNL2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 2:20am
hmm..nice thread, but im still gonna use mine... poof, poof, wiz, splat...  all ya hear
"so u say your Japanese?? We Converted..."

"Live for something rather than die for nothing."-George Patton
http://www.WWIJAA.com
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 2:42am

Heck, there have already been people killed with standard markers when hit in the eye.

Really?  I was aware of the tank deaths, but not this.  Do you have more information about this, or a link?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 4:47am

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

was aware of the tank deaths, but not this.  Do you have more information about this, or a link?

Victoria Snelgrove was killed when hit in the eye by a Boston policeman firing pepperballs to control crowds. October '04

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/22/fan.death/

The products:

http://www.pepperball.com/home_a.asp

http://www.pepperball.com/le/products.asp

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 08 April 2006 at 4:51am
dead-eye_tippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dead-eye_tippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:34am

And I just cannot let it pass, if your definition of a firearm is one that requires the ignition of a combustible product to propel the "bullet," Tippmann certainly has blurred the line with the C-3.

I was just about to bring up the C-3, but you beat me to it.

Gear:
Smart Parts Ion
Tech T Bolt
CCM Feedneck
NDZ Roller Trigger
CP Razor Drop Forward
Virtue Board
CP ASA On/Off
Freak Kit 14"
360 QEV
Shocker Regulator
daveb333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveb333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:51am

Ok, this is my final post cause no one has listened to me yet.

A paintball gun uses COMPRESSED AIR (or nitrogen)!
A firearm uses EXPLOSIONS

The BATF sets the laws on ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS

So yes, they do care that a paintball gun isn't a firearm, the only person who doesn't is you.

bruce a... have you been listening????  I said it is projected BY COMBUSTION not a combustable product you dummas!  STAY ON TOPIC!

BATF regulates silencers on FIREARMS... end of story!  Paintball guns are not firearms, therefor the BATF does not make laws about paintball guns!  Maybe you dont understand this buy BATF makes laws about silencers on firearms!  They dont make it on cars, or motorcycles, or boats, or EVEN PAINTBALLGUNS!  It is strictly FIREARMS.  Which is why its called BATF and not BATFPM (Beuro of alchol tobacco firearms and paintball markers)

How bout you guys read and understand everything before you post.

Edited by daveb333 - 08 April 2006 at 11:54am
DjB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 11:56am
Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C., Section 921(a)(24). An individual wishing to manufacturer a firearm silencer must receive prior approval from ATF by submitting an ATF Form 1 and paying a $200 making tax.

dave you lose. stop posting. 
daveb333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveb333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:13pm

Let me break it down for you. 
THE TERMS FIREARMS SILENCER AND FIREARM MUFFLER MEAN ANY DEVICE FOR SILENCING, MUFFLING, OR DIMINISHING THE REPORT OF A PORTABLE FIREARM INCLUDING ANY COMBINATION OF PARTS, DESIGNED OR REDESIGNED AND INTENDED FOR USE IN ASSEMBLING OR FABRICATING A FIREARM SILENCER OR FIREARM MUFFLER, AND ANY PART INTENDED ONLY FOR USE IN SUCH ASSEMBLY OR FABRICATION.
This is the most important statement.  This says that the silencers that they are talking about is a firearm silencer and a firearm muffler... OH BUT WAIT A SEC... Didnt dave prove to us all that paintball guns arnt firearms?!  OMG!
It also says that SOME PAINTBALL SILENCERS HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED A FIREARM SILENCER!  It says that inside of here!  Can you believe it?!  If you dont just read it!

NUMEROUS PAINTBALL SILENCERS TESTED BY THE FIREARMS TECHNOLOGY BRANCH HAVE BEEN DETERMINED TO BE, BY NATURE OF THEIR DESIGN AND FUNCTION, FIREARM SILENCERS.  This means that some silencers designed for paintball guns have been tested to work on real guns, and therefor are illegal
AN INDIVIDUAL WISHING TO MANUFACTURE A FIREARM SILENCER MUST RECIEVE PRIOR APPROVAL FROM ATF BY SUBMITTING AN ATF FORM 1 AND PAYING A $200 MAKING TAX.
This is a very misunderstood statement to you all!  This says that anyone who wishes to MANUFACTURE a silencer must be tested by atf, and if you want to manufacture you need $200 tax fee.  Why would they say you need a tax fee of 200$ to make a silencer if silencers were illegal?!  Simply because not all of them are, the ones that will fit the firearms are illegal.

So will you all stop dragging it out, suck it up, and admit that i am right.  Just say it!: Oh, i misunderstood this law and it is true that SOME paintball silencers are illegal only because they are compatable with FIREARM silencers.

Edited by daveb333 - 08 April 2006 at 12:22pm
DjB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic