Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann A5 - Air/CO2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
draconas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draconas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann A5 - Air/CO2
    Posted: 04 April 2006 at 9:22am
Hi all

I'm a woodsball and scenario player in the UK, up until last year I've been a student and so always used the site guns as I couldn't afford one of my own and to keep up the habit. 

Now however I have a job, some friends who play and our local siste is also the local site for a lot of more serious players than my student one - the sites battered 98's are being outranged and outclassed, that and I seem to spend more time unjamming them or cleaning breaks than actually shooting. 

So I've been looking to invest in my own gun - my current favorite is the A5 as I am used to tippmanns and most of the sites I know of in the UK use them so its going to be familar turf all round - that and i much prefer the general style of the tippmans over most other guns that look like odd scifi pistols to me. 

My question is about CO2/High Pressure Air/Low pressure Kits:
This issue and specifically the A5's compatability with them confuses me, I know it runs of CO2 happily out of the box - the blurb from the A5 says its fully Compressed air compatable but the place i am ordering it for says i need a low pressure kit for the A5 so my question is thus:

Beyond an extension hose - do I need any other parts/accessories to fire my A5 on air? and by extension if i do need to add new parts how reversable is it if i am going to a site that only has CO2. 

I am completely new to all the issues involved with owning your own gun so some advice in simple terms would be very much appreciated. 
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 11:18am
The field is lying to you to get you to buy the low pressure kit.

The A-5 will work fine on a screw in co2 tank.

What you have to understand about compressed air, is you can have high pressure output, and low pressure output.  To run a tippmann with a low pressure output tank, you ofcourse need to get the low pressure kit.  To run the A-5 on a high pressure tank (800-850 psi output) you simply screw it in like a co2 tank.

If I were you, I'd let them know they lied and I would no longer be a customer there unless you had no choice.

In my experiance, I know more about my A-5 and my girlfriend's custom pro than the guys from the proshop down my street.  He even took out the buffer o-ring when I wasn't there and handed it to my girlfriend, saying "you don't need to have this in there".

Anyways, high output tank will screw in, no modifications :)
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
moshman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 7:58pm

You dont need to get a low pressure kit.  That dude is just tryin to get more money out of u.

Tippman A5
Lapco Bigshot 14 inch Barrel
Lapco 14 inch Air Cooled Barrel Shroud
draconas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draconas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2006 at 11:22am
Thanks guys.

Initially I am going to be running with CO2 as its cheaper in the short term. 

So when I want to convert all I need is an air cylinder with a High pressure regulator capable of giving me an 800 psi output?

Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2006 at 6:24pm
Yup.
Welcome to the forum, and (sort of) welcome to paintball.

Happy hunting Wink
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
p-ball_lover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p-ball_lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2006 at 4:34pm

sweet i am glad i searched and found this because i am looking to get a CA tank for the A-5 and i was worried i would have to spend like $400 for the tank,regulators and low pressure kit but thanks to you guys you probably saved my a few hundred bucks.

one question though. is there a performance increase by using the low pressure system or is it wasted money. i HEARD that you use the lower pressure so the paintballs dont break because of the high pressure but that doesnt make sense because most of the CA tanks have regulators that are about 800 or so and C02 operates at like 1100(or close to that(i think lol) and the Co2 never really breaks balls so the CA shourl actually be way better for the balls and the gun

Edited by p-ball_lover - 09 April 2006 at 4:35pm
nightfox9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightfox9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2006 at 5:04pm

Originally posted by RavenGuard RavenGuard wrote:

The field is lying to you to get you to buy the low pressure kit.

The A-5 will work fine on a screw in co2 tank.

What you have to understand about compressed air, is you can have high pressure output, and low pressure output.  To run a tippmann with a low pressure output tank, you ofcourse need to get the low pressure kit.  To run the A-5 on a high pressure tank (800-850 psi output) you simply screw it in like a co2 tank.

If I were you, I'd let them know they lied and I would no longer be a customer there unless you had no choice.

In my experiance, I know more about my A-5 and my girlfriend's custom pro than the guys from the proshop down my street.  He even took out the buffer o-ring when I wasn't there and handed it to my girlfriend, saying "you don't need to have this in there".

Anyways, high output tank will screw in, no modifications :)

Yeah they were pulling a fast one on you. My friend has an A-5 and all he runs his on is CO2

-Tippmann 98 Custom
-20" J&J Ceramic Barrel
-Rocket Cock 2
-32 Degrees Remote Coil
-20oz Pure Energy Tank
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2006 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by p-ball_lover p-ball_lover wrote:

one question though. is there a performance increase by using the low pressure system or is it wasted money. i HEARD that you use the lower pressure so the paintballs dont break because of the high pressure but that doesnt make sense because most of the CA tanks have regulators that are about 800 or so and C02 operates at like 1100(or close to that(i think lol) and the Co2 never really breaks balls so the CA shourl actually be way better for the balls and the gun

The performance gain is not worth the money. All you really get is less noise and less kick.

the flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2006 at 6:34pm
^^^ there isnt any kick to begin with. How can there be less kick?

perhaps the greatest movie ever
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2006 at 8:10pm

Ever seen the APE video with the 25 bps part?

PaintCheck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintCheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 12:17am
I go threw Co2 way too fast, i had to fill up 3 times in 4 games. will the Air
system improve this.
A-5:
E-Grip
20in
Car Stock

Next Upgrades:
Remote Air
Flatline
Double Trigger
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 7:36am
Originally posted by the flanker the flanker wrote:

^^^ there isnt any kick to begin with. How can there be less kick?

i agree.

Originally posted by PaintCheck PaintCheck wrote:

I go threw Co2 way too fast, i had to fill up 3 times in 4 games. will the Air
system improve this.

yes.

Edited by RavenGuard - 10 April 2006 at 7:36am
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 1:01pm

Again, watch the APE video. I don't care that it's at 25 bps; it still shows that there is kick.

And an HPA system will only improve air efficiency over a 20 oz. if you get a tank bigger than a 68/4500.

Firemansam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firemansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 3:23pm
Just to help, iam from the UK and i own an A5 with flat line barrel and i just use the sites air tanks, i dont have the low pressure system and the marker works just fine, the tanks are about 2000psi and that works fine, as for starting with Co2, you will have to take into account the weather over here as cold will affect just as hot weather, also most of the sites in the UK are starting to go over to air as it is easy to use. I have used both Co2 and air and as said above the air last longer and keeps a more consistant shot. but whatever you do have fun and enjoy.
nightfox9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightfox9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 4:10pm

I can use one 20oz CO2 tank for a whole day of woodsball and never run out.

Edited by nightfox9 - 10 April 2006 at 4:11pm

-Tippmann 98 Custom
-20" J&J Ceramic Barrel
-Rocket Cock 2
-32 Degrees Remote Coil
-20oz Pure Energy Tank
Firemansam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firemansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 4:18pm
ok, but how much paint do you go through and how long is your day, and as i also own a Co2 20oz tank it is able to get about 400 to maybe on the out side of luck 600 shots then needs to be refilled i cant see how you can use a 20oz for a full days paintballing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic