Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sniperball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
g0dam0ng1n53ct5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g0dam0ng1n53ct5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 1:07pm
Here's a decent definition of simunitions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_bullets

Note the price: 3x the cost of live ammo
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
dead-eye_tippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dead-eye_tippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 4:40pm

Originally posted by g0dam0ng1n53ct5 g0dam0ng1n53ct5 wrote:

Here's a decent definition of simunitions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_bullets

Note the price: 3x the cost of live ammo

Exactly what I was thinking.  It's all great, but even the rubber Reballs are super expensive, MSRP-$150 for 500.  Imagine how much something with rifled technology and flights would cost?  I'm thinking $300 a 500 case.

Gear:
Smart Parts Ion
Tech T Bolt
CCM Feedneck
NDZ Roller Trigger
CP Razor Drop Forward
Virtue Board
CP ASA On/Off
Freak Kit 14"
360 QEV
Shocker Regulator
danieljk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieljk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 7:47pm
Thats RIDICULOUS, WHY that cost more makes no sense.  gar gar gar gar
O look, there's nothing here!
sparky_#2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky_#2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 8:48pm
Why can't they dimple paintballs like golfballs?
If they put deeper dimples on opposing quarters it would go straight.
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:39am
Originally posted by sparky_#2 sparky_#2 wrote:

Why can't they dimple paintballs like golfballs?
If they put deeper dimples on opposing quarters it would go straight.
because golf balls arn't propelled by air normally.  if there where dimples, the air consistancy might be thrown off.  good thinking though.....
X
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:59pm
that wouldn't work so well...
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
ImminentThreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImminentThreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 10:57pm
Police and Military "Force on Force" training is done with weapons firing a compressed soap round from a standard cartridge with a substantially reduced load to decrease velocity of the round. I can't see of any way of improving on the design of the painball.

MS Baller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MS Baller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 11:39am
it would work if their was a gun made for it but i dont think it would fit in the gun, or feed right, but it sounds like a good idea
darkmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 4:21am
the dimples on a golf ball are meant to reduce drag on the ball by turbinating the the stream line thus reducing the trailing side low pressure pocket, and replacing it with a fixed pocket vortex. a fixed pocket vortex will affect less drag on the ball and allow it to retain more energy for a longer period of time. It really wouldnt affect accuracy all that much.
Dopa mi la tempesta
(After me, The storm)
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 6:34am
Darkmaster,

Why did you feel the need to resurrect this almost 2 month old post?
Ghost-Rider View Drop Down
Strike 2, Filter Dodge 8/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost-Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 3:21pm
People just need to stop posting anything sniper on here it wont work.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 4:31pm

As long as paintballing exsists, idea's like the sniper bullet, the flamethrower, the bayonet, the sniper, the artillery cannons, and the shotgun are goin to all keep coming up and keep being shot down.

Its just the cycle of paintball...

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Zer0 K@y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zer0 K@y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2006 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by darkmaster darkmaster wrote:

the dimples on a golf ball are meant to reduce drag on the ball by turbinating the the stream line thus reducing the trailing side low pressure pocket, and replacing it with a fixed pocket vortex. a fixed pocket vortex will affect less drag on the ball and allow it to retain more energy for a longer period of time. It really wouldnt affect accuracy all that much.

there is an idea, paintballs with golf ball dimples

ridesnowbrdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridesnowbrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2006 at 7:30pm
go fall in a hole.
UV Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UV Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2006 at 7:45pm
Okay, Here's my two cents:

Fin stabilized ball:  Would help an arced ball (you know the whole 'aim higher' technique) be a little more accurate in terms of shot to shot deviation in the left to right (up/forward and down/back is caused primarily by FPS variations).  No extended range since the fins wouldn't generate significant lift.

Spin-stabilized (aka rifling, or meaning it spins like a bullet) Ball:  No benefit in accuracy for paintball for two primary reasons. One: They have seams, and the orientation of the seam relative to the flight path is different from shot to shot.  Two: They are not perfect spheres therefore, their center of gravity is in a different location from shot to shot.  Ever tried spinning an un-balanced top, or driven on an un-balanced tire?  Same thing...  The object wants to deviate from spinning on it's axis if it is out of balance.  Spin-stablizing does nothing for range.

Backspinning Ball: Generates lift (very well) but, with the seam and center of gravity varying from shot to shot, the accuracy suffers.  Personally, I don't believe anyone who says that at 75ft, a flatline (or a set Apex) is as accurate as a matched 'kit' barrel (i.e. Freak, Evil Pipe, etc) with the same paint, same gun.  I'll believe it when I see a video of a shoot-test.

Dimpled paintballs:  Interesting idea, the size and number of dimples are related to the speed a golf ball moves, and they work.  So, is it practical to make dimples that would work on a paintball?  Can you make a uniformly dimpled paintball given the fact that you require a seam? I dunno.  I did see one brand of paint in a sporting goods store that claimed to have "micro-dimples" but, they were too small for me to see, and I never heard of the brand so, I avoided them.  Time will tell on this one.  But, the concept has been around for ages.  See my topic on "Extended-range, Improved accuracy" paintballs to be posted in a few.

Bullet-shaped paintball: Not practical to manufacture, and the drag effects for having a flat back-end are worse at the speeds paintballs move as compared to the speeds firearm projectiles move.  Additionally, a paintball with a "point" would be more resistant to breakage than one without, unless you did something else, see my topic for that something else.

M98C- W/QwkStrpCut
Comp Air & Palmer Fatty Stab
Gas-Thru Stock
Lapco Sight Rail W/ADCO 30MM EDOT
Qloader W/ CMS
Freak SS W/Stif-Tip * Flatline * Armson Stealth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic