Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann barrel
    Posted: 01 April 2006 at 12:06am
Ok, so i just got my first paintball gun, a tippmann 98C, and i would like a longer barrel. I was looking around on the forum and didn't see anything on tippmann barrels, a lot about J&J barrels and Bigshot or something. I was just wondering if i should buy a tippmann sniper barrel, like a 14incher, it has the ported last 2 inches or whatever and it seems like a nice barrel. Advice please?
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 12:29am
Tippmann's Sniper barrel is unfortunately not a good barrel, especially when there are many other barrels in the same price range that will outdo it significantly. Do a search and you'll find the hundreds of options out there.
Wess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 12:30am
Ok, thanks
FyreFly View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FyreFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Wess Wess wrote:

Ok, so i just got my first paintball gun, a tippmann 98C, and i would like a longer barrel.

The length of a barrel has little to nothing to do with the accuracy or distance of your shot.  Anything over 8" will shoot just fine, however, a VERY long barrel(usually over 16") WILL reduce velocity and air efficiency.

System X NME LE
WGP Orracle Cocker
Tippmann A-5 E-Grip & LPK
Tippmann 98C Flatline & LPK
Mc Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mc Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by FyreFly FyreFly wrote:

The length of a barrel has little to nothing to do with the accuracy or distance of your shot.  Anything over 8" will shoot just fine, however, a VERY long barrel(usually over 16") WILL reduce velocity and air efficiency.

here you are ever so slightly wrong the maximum effective length for a barrel is 14" after that it starts to require more air to push the paintball through the barrel at the same speed so get no longer than a 14" barrel probly the best one for you would be the Lapco Bigshot

Edited by Mc Wolf - 01 April 2006 at 12:41pm
Mc Wolf

Mess With The Best Get Shot Like The Rest!!!
phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 2:27pm

I agree with Mc Wolf who said:

"effective length for a barrel is 14" after that it starts to require more air to push the paintball through the barrel at the same speed"

Although the problem is your C02 tank or compressed air tank only let's out so much C02 or Compressed air per shot.  So you you wont be losing more C02 or compressed air with a longer barrel but your ball wont go as far.

Here's how it works: in the first 8 inches of the shot the ball flyes about 50 000 feet per second (which is incredibly fast) but after those 8 inches and especially once the ball leaves the barrel it drops to about 300 fps.  So if the barrel is longer than about 14 inches than the ball will lose velocity because the ball will be touching the inside of the barrel - (friction makes things slow down of course). 

To some up the more time the ball has to bounce around inside the barrel the less accurate it will be and the slower it will be.

It is a so have a longer barrel doesn't make more accurate or make it go farther which is what some people think.

I think you should go with something like a Lapco Bigshot, or a J & J Ceramic but only 12 or 14 inches.  Or even better go with a flatline barrel just make sure it's set up properly. 

hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by phil_stl phil_stl wrote:

Here's how it works: in the first 8 inches of the shot the ball flyes about 50 000 feet per second (which is incredibly fast) but after

Uh huh.... where'd you get that statistic?

Wess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 4:05pm
Alright, should i get a 12inch bigshot or a 14 inch? Using for woodsball
SuzukiRider987 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzukiRider987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 4:39pm

Originally posted by Wess Wess wrote:

Alright, should i get a 12inch bigshot or a 14 inch? Using for woodsball

Either one. It's personal preference. Although I prefer the 12" for woodsball, because the extra 2" is just more to get caught up in brush and such. And the shorter barrel helps you move around more easily.

Wess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 4:52pm
cool, thank you very much
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic