Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Model 98 barrel question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
siscokid269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscokid269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 98 barrel question
    Posted: 31 March 2006 at 6:07pm

I have an original Model 98 (non-C) that I bought several years back.  My buddy's quit playing paintball until 2 weekends ago and now we all have the itch.  I don't want to spend money on a new gun in fear they will stop playing again, but I want more distance out of my gun.

I was reading in another thread that the flatline will work on the Model 98.  However, I read other stuff on the internet that contradicts this statement.  So I guess I have a some questions.

1. Can I buy a Flatline for my Model 98?
  2. Any other recommendations on barrells.  Possibly less expensive?
  3. If the Flatline will work will I need any other mods?  Currently the gun is stock.  I read quality paint is a must, recommendations?
  4. Should I just consider getting a different gun?  Keeping in mind this one has only been used about 5 times.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by siscokid269 - 31 March 2006 at 6:08pm
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2006 at 6:22pm
you should check with various websites, ive seen some who have sections for model 98 and 98custom barrel threads, if i can find any of them ill put up the link.....welcome to the forum, just ignore the general BS, theres a ton of info on here if you look hard enough, theres also a search button at the top of the screen to aid you if you need help and no ones responding

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscokid269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2006 at 6:32pm

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.  I've been searching quite a bit but haven't found much related to my gun.  Most are talking about 98C's.  Any links would be great.

These forums seem great!  Seems like most everyone has a wealth of knowledge.  I'm just excited to start playing PB again.  I'll throw paint if I have too........

Edited by siscokid269 - 31 March 2006 at 6:32pm
FyreFly View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FyreFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2006 at 8:09pm
I don't see any reason why the flatline wouldn't fit on an M98.  When Tippmann changed the barrel threading of the 98's I thought they said that new barrels would work in either the old threaded receivers or new threaded receivers.

Yes, quality paint is a must for the flatline.  If you want to get a straight barrel many people recommend the Lapco Bigshot and the J&J Ceramic.

System X NME LE
WGP Orracle Cocker
Tippmann A-5 E-Grip & LPK
Tippmann 98C Flatline & LPK
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2006 at 8:50pm
you could look into an apex if you don't want to have a paint picky barrel.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siscokid269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 9:20am

Thanks for the information Fyre & Raven.  I think I'm going to call Tippmann on Monday and confirm the barrel threading is the same.  I think I'll start barrel shopping in the meantime.

If the threading is different maybe this will work.

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/product_detail.asp?S KU=221+0015&CAT=110211

I've read a lot of good reviews about the barrels you recommended.  Do they add as much distance as the Flatline?  I'm willing to scarifice some distance to avoid balls blowing up in the barrel.

Edited by siscokid269 - 01 April 2006 at 9:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic