Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bored barrels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kalieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bored barrels
    Posted: 24 March 2006 at 12:52pm

Why has no one tried to bore a barrel yet? I know why with the metal barrels but why not bore the carbon fiber barrels. They won't lacerate the paintballs like a metal barrel? has no one tried this yet?

-Caleb-

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 12:53pm
Huh?
the flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 1:08pm
????????„Ő„Ő„ŐąŻąŻąŻąŻąŻąŻąŻąŻ

perhaps the greatest movie ever
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by kalieb kalieb wrote:

Why has no one tried to bore a barrel yet? I know why with the metal barrels but why not bore the carbon fiber barrels. They won't lacerate the paintballs like a metal barrel? has no one tried this yet?

-Caleb-

Do you even know what you just said? The bore is how large this space is inside the barrel from one side to the opposite side. So I'd kinda like to know what your talking about.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
g0dam0ng1n53ct5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g0dam0ng1n53ct5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:13pm
To my knowledge, boring carbon fiber would be like pulling out fiberglas insulation or breaking a carbon arrow in half. You can machine steel so it's smoother than marble. Carbon fiber is wrapped to a specific diameter at the factory. That said, I agree with the preceding statements: why do you want to bore anything? 
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:31pm
X
zak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
ive been called plenty of things on here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2006 at 1:19am
he means rifle
Wubadoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wubadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 2:03am

Originally posted by zak zak wrote:

he means rifle

and it would be pointless because the projectile isn't conical (cone shaped) like a normal rifle bullet.  if it isn't conical then it wouldn't have a front and so it would jsut spi in all sorts of directions, it would basically have the same effect as when you have a cheap gun and you turn the velocity up too much and they go 30 yards and spin 8 yards in any direction

Wubadoo
kevinthegreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinthegreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Wubadoo Wubadoo wrote:

Originally posted by zak zak wrote:

he means rifle

and it would be pointless because the projectile isn't conical (cone shaped) like a normal rifle bullet.  if it isn't conical then it wouldn't have a front and so it would jsut spi in all sorts of directions, it would basically have the same effect as when you have a cheap gun and you turn the velocity up too much and they go 30 yards and spin 8 yards in any direction

some barrels have straight rifling
it doesn't negatively affect the ball's flight at all
I've found that it can help
Tippmann A-5
Polished internals
4.2 inch rifled barrel
Destroyed OD paintjob
Love
paintballinbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballinbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 12:07pm
carbon fiber is basically carbon nanotubes (very small strands or cables of carbon atoms) that are woven, and encased in a polymer matrix. if you tried machining that, you'd ruin the material.
98 Custom
milled;painted;J&J Ceramic;X-Chamber;R/T;Cyclone.
stealthy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stealthy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 6:57pm
Rifling can be effective with sphyrical objects too. Paintballs being round isn't the reason it wont work. Those same reasons will apply to a carbon fiber barrel as well.
sparky_#2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky_#2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 10:39pm
It doesn't have to be conical at all, early rifles had a round ball and it increased accuracy. Also doesn't the Flatline work? You don't need to have a front or back to give a paintball accuracy.
Wubadoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wubadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 10:44pm

Originally posted by sparky_#2 sparky_#2 wrote:

It doesn't have to be conical at all, early rifles had a round ball and it increased accuracy. Also doesn't the Flatline work? You don't need to have a front or back to give a paintball accuracy.

Yes the flatline works, i happen to have one.  but rifling a paintball doesnt but a consistant backspin on the ball.  the flatline works by having the ballspinning backwards only. the curve in the barrel is what spins the ball, not rilfing.

Wubadoo
sparky_#2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky_#2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2006 at 10:28pm
I know that a flatline is curved, but having a consistant rifling spin should improve accuracy. Early rifles used round bullets how do you explain their accuracy?
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:32am

I know that a flatline is curved, but having a consistant rifling spin should improve accuracy. Early rifles used round bullets how do you explain their accuracy?
the bullets wern't filled with liquid......
X
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:09pm

First of all, you dont, early bullets sucked, why do you think they soldiers stood in big lines shooting volleys... Its not just because they're stupid, the few guns that did use this idea with a round ball was like the kentucky long rifle, the barrel was freakishly long because it needed all that length to get the round bullet to fire accuratly.

And for the flatline rifling thing hat wouldnt work at all. The rifling would cause the back spin to spin all differant parts of the ball, not just that one area. thus killing ALL accuracy

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 1:43pm
riffling can effect round bullets... just not paintballs.  I suppose if you had a long barrel and wasted lots of gas, the riffling would eventually spin the paintball as well as it's contents, but I don't think anyone has tried or will.  Makes sense though?
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
sparky_#2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky_#2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 9:26pm
Has anyone tried to use a shorter barrel with a round projectile? The reason they all stood in line was that they had smoothbore muskets, not rifles, muskets were not precisely made so bullets were undersized so they could go into the gun. This made them bounce off the sides of the barrel, killing any chance a accuracy. I never said to rifle a flatline, someone stated you need a front and back to a paintball to make it spin correctly I am just saying that by using rifling you are giving a consistant spin to the paintball. Using a rifled barrel may not give paintball accuracy because they are paint filled,but I am going to see how much rifling improves, or decreases as soon as I can find time to do it to my stock barrel. I'm probably wrong about some of this stuff, but point it out and I'll try and find out for sure.

Edited by sparky_#2 - 16 April 2006 at 9:32pm
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 11:21pm
A real bullet is trying to expand against the inside of a barrel, and the rifling can bite into the hot lead or whatever the bullet is made out of. Hopefully the shell of your paint isn't hot, expanding against the inside of your barrel, or made of metal, so the rifling is ineffective.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic