Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vertical adapter leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Xscout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vertical adapter leak
    Posted: 14 March 2006 at 1:00pm

I've got an old-school 98m with an expansion chamber...love the marker, and just repairing stuff as it falls apart.

I've got a leak at the weld where my vertical adapter meets the valve...I replaced the valve thinking it was stropped at the threads, but immersion of the whole thing cleared that misconception up when the CO2 was escaping from the red circled area (see below)

I'm currently looking for a sealant/tape combo that will let me play this weekend without too much air-loss...it's a bad place to blow a weld...can you guys suggest a quick-fix for the weekend?  Or maybe a long term "el-cheapo" fix?  Thanks for your time.

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2006 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Xscout Xscout wrote:

I've got an old-school 98m with an expansion chamber...love the marker, and just repairing stuff as it falls apart.

I've got a leak at the weld where my vertical adapter meets the valve...I replaced the valve thinking it was stropped at the threads, but immersion of the whole thing cleared that misconception up when the CO2 was escaping from the red circled area (see below)

I'm currently looking for a sealant/tape combo that will let me play this weekend without too much air-loss...it's a bad place to blow a weld...can you guys suggest a quick-fix for the weekend?  Or maybe a long term "el-cheapo" fix?  Thanks for your time.

This is a problem that does not have an easy fix. Yes, there may be some sealants that will hold for a while (the cracked area actually flexes just a bit leading to re-opening). It would be best if you could find a local welding shop who can braze or high strength silver solder it.

If you do try to use a sealant it needs to be applied on the inside rather than the outside of the tube...difficult! JB Weld will hold for a while if applied to clean surfaces...it will be virtually impossible to clean those inside surfaces to get good adhesion.

A visit to the paintball store for a new adapter is in order.

Xscout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2006 at 3:48pm

Thanks, thats what I was figuring.  Found it for 19 bucks online, so thats not so bad.  Sealant applied in layers with additional tape as a "frame" ought to hold it long enough to play 6-7 hours this weekend, as long as I don't mind the hissing sound.

JB Weld is ok, but under high pressure it isn't reliable imo (many many times using it on auto repair on the hoopty)

Thanks for confiorming what I was thinking.

Mr. White View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2006 at 2:33am
Damn, your willing to play with some ghetto sh#@.
Where's the strongbox you sidewinder you!
Xscout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2006 at 12:22pm

[QUOTE=Mr. White]Damn, your willing to play with some ghetto sh#@. [/QUOTE]

This is true...why replace when you can repair?

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2006 at 12:43pm
Mr. White, aiming for a strike are we?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic