FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

People in/was in Armed Service. *update*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2006 at 6:10pm
The bonuses and programs in the military vary on a nearly daily basis. The demand for a particular MOS determines the standards for bonuses, added to the particular enlistee's education and test scores.

When I enlisted I wanted to be in the infantry, and it wasn't available! Who would have thought that in the entire history of the Army that one couldn't get into the infantry?

I had a good score on my ASVAB, and some college under my belt, but infantry was not an option. I ended up becoming a medic, which was for the best anyway, my medical training has come in handy on many occassions.

For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
WUNgUN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
100% Bonafied Jar Head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUNgUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2006 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by TRAVELER TRAVELER wrote:

The bonuses and programs in the military vary on a nearly daily basis. The demand for a particular MOS determines the standards for bonuses, added to the particular enlistee's education and test scores. When I enlisted I wanted to be in the infantry, and it wasn't available! Who would have thought that in the entire history of the Army that one couldn't get into the infantry? I had a good score on my ASVAB, and some college under my belt, but infantry was not an option. I ended up becoming a medic, which was for the best anyway, my medical training has come in handy on many occassions.

Doesn't that contradict your previous post about bonuses?
[IMG]http://hometown.aol.com/hlwrangler/myhomepage/revised5_copy.jpg">
""...the Marines we have there now could crush the city and be done with business in four days."--LtGen Conway on Fallujah
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 12:21am
Welp, I'm Basically all signed in all I have to do now is take my physical, and get sworn in and I'm property of the Government. 

Edit: Yea, MP is looking for spots, but if for some odd reason I can't get that I asked for Cavalry Scout.

Edited by Panda Man - 08 March 2006 at 12:34am
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 12:30am
I went about the recruiters today. The whole bit was actualy kinda funny.
warman View Drop Down
What the duece happened

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 1:59pm
Explain to me how you think you are gonna start as an
E-4, unless you have a college degree you arn't gonna get higher than e-3, and in order to get e-3 your gonna need some referalls(ie talk some other suckers into enlisting)

Edited by warman - 08 March 2006 at 2:02pm
N is for nowledge

warman View Drop Down
What the duece happened

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 2:01pm
and i don't think the reserves has cav scouts, I know the National Guard has cav scouts.
N is for nowledge

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by dodan44 dodan44 wrote:

SEALs rule. the training is great if you can take it. me and my uncle were in in. well worth the time. obstacle courses suck. if you survive hell week you can survive it all. be prepared for sleep deprivation. during hell week i think i got around 5 hours of sleep in 7 days. the training is worth it though.
I didn't know 15 was the age to be able to go into the SEALs.
chronic future View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I’m not back in 5 mins.. Wait longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

SEALs rule. the training is great if you can take it. me and my uncle were in in. well worth the time. obstacle courses suck. if you survive hell week you can survive it all. be prepared for sleep deprivation. during hell week i think i got around 5 hours of sleep in 7 days. the training is worth it though.

seriously, dodan stop hurting the forum.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by warman warman wrote:

Explain to me how you think you are gonna start as an
E-4, unless you have a college degree you arn't gonna get higher than e-3, and in order to get e-3 your gonna need some referalls(ie talk some other suckers into enlisting)

Yea, I AM an E3, I just got an Extra bonus for having an Aquantince of mine sign up, he tolled me we'd "bump you up" but I didn't think he was thinking a Pay bonus at the start, I thought he meant promotion.

Cavalry Scouts are aviable for Reserve, but they usally close this off unless there is a Shortage. plus I think I'm basically stuck as an MP.
Pump Scout View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pump Scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 3:55pm
Yep, available Guard and Reserve. It's just a matter of finding a unit close to you with an opening.

BTW, be prepared to get stuck being platoon guide or squad leader at basic, at least initially. Read that as "until your Drill Sergeant decides you've screwed up". We had an E3 that started as PG because of his rank, and was quickly replaced with an E1 who had a much better grasp on being a soldier.

If you can find a way to go Cav, it's a lot of fun. Tough job, since you have to be everything armor, forward observers, infantry, and several other MOS's are. However, it's really rewarding when you do the job, and do it right!
warman View Drop Down
What the duece happened

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 4:06pm
My bad i wasn't aware of any reserve units with 19d. Just a warning about the reserves, right now i am getting screwed out of my tuition assistance, because the federal government can't afford to pay up. But at least i still am getting the GI Bill + Kicker
N is for nowledge

TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by WUNgUN WUNgUN wrote:

The bonuses and programs in the military vary on a nearly daily basis. The demand for a particular MOS determines the standards for bonuses, added to the particular enlistee's education and test scores. When I enlisted I wanted to be in the infantry, and it wasn't available! Who would have thought that in the entire history of the Army that one couldn't get into the infantry? I had a good score on my ASVAB, and some college under my belt, but infantry was not an option. I ended up becoming a medic, which was for the best anyway, my medical training has come in handy on many occassions.

Doesn't that contradict your previous post about bonuses?

No it doesn't. Bonuses are not granted with every job. If you want to be a Ranger, or in the Special Forces, you will get no bonus.

Nowadays you'll get a bonus if you enlist in the regular infantry, when I first tried to enlist, I couldn't get infantry, let alone a bonus to go with it.
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 7:23pm
19D is not a high speed MOS. One of my friends just graduated  basic training and is getting ready to start the Cav scout training at Ft Knox. He had an ASVAB score of 34, and he enlisted on a waiver. Under normal circumstances (non wartime) they wouldn't have allowed him to enlist.

BE CAREFUL what job you choose. Nothing, and I mean nothing is final until after your physical. After you pass your physical an NCO will show you a list of the jobs that are available to you. After you choose your job, you'll be asked to sign your life away and take the oath.

If you aren't offered the job you want, WALK AWAY, do not sign or swear to anything. You can always go back when the job you want does become available.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 9:01pm
Lets see as an old 11B Airborne Ranger type we can look at the following

1. Good- falling out of a perfectly good aircraft at high altitude.....
1. Bad- Parachute malfunction.

2. Good- Travelling to exotic lands
2. Bad- getting shot at by the locals

3. Good- Dangling from a helicopter from a rope 110 feet in the air
3. Bad- Helicopter flying too low, too fast making you a human hedge clipper

4. Good- Finding that proper position for a night inadvertant water landing.
4. Bad- Releasing main 20feet in air expecting to hit water but hit a black topped road in the woods (they do look alike at night ask any paratrooper)

5. Good- The memories of times and comrades
5. Bad- losing track of those freinds as the years pass.
Gpacker4686 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, 9/22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gpacker4686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 9:36pm
well i joined the PA National Guard. Like someone else said the signing bonus in the guard is $20000. I don;t know about any other state but here in PA we get 100% collage tution, $4500 fedural tution assistance, up to $3000 for the palgrant(i think thats what it is). Every month in collage you get your base pay for drill, plus 297(i think thats what its up to(its 290 something), and if you score above a 50 on the asvab you get an extra $200 a month. My MOS is 92 alpha but i am going to have to get it changed to 63 Bravo after the new m-tow goes through.
www.putfile.com/sockfootball21
Pump Scout View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pump Scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 12:07am
Here's something else to bear in mind - unless the rules have changed since I "retired", when you're Guard or Reserve, the GI Bill works different than it does for active guys. Guard/Reserve troops can only use the GIB while they're serving. Once you're out, you lose the benefit, along with the tuition reimbursement (100% in Wisconsin), and any other benefits. You also can't use some state VA programs, although once you hit 6 years of Guard/Reserve service, you're eligible for federal VA things.

More of the small print that nobody mentions until you find yourself really counting on things.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 9:16am

If you aren't offered the job you want, WALK AWAY, do not sign or swear to anything. You can always go back when the job you want does become available.

I'll remember that. Thanx alot

pump - Well I'm going Active for 4 years, then once thats finished and I still enjoy it, I'll probably be signing a few more years with the Reserve, and if everything keeps going to plan I'll just keep signing more years.

Edited by Panda Man - 09 March 2006 at 9:18am
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 1:50pm
I just took my ASVAB yesterday, finished in 45 minutes... With a score of 83, The MI branch looks at a different score the score they pay attention to i got a 129 or something, i needed a 115 to qualify.

I smoked that damn test.

So easy.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 9:46pm
ugh... I just go back from MEPS, and some other training... I'm pretty tired from doing all this military crap this weekend.   

I came up posotive for Diabities so I need to give them another blood sample on the 21st, and MEPS was thee lamest 9 hours of my life. I made weight(barley) but I had a little help from some 'fleet' that "cleaned" me out.  I'm basically all signed on for 4 years as a MP, but... I need to varify I'm not diabetic.   I'll be stationed in Kansas City in August where.. the fun will begin, just can't wait to finish Basic so I can start my 'actual' training. Though... I have to learn to train a friggin dog though which is going to kinda suck.  

and today, for me to get as a E3 I had to do my little marching/map reading training which was easy, but standing at parade started to hurt my shoulders after 35min of just standing there.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by chronic future chronic future wrote:

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

seriously, dodan stop hurting the forum.

Ya srsly, you just lamed this thread up.

Quit watching the Military Channel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic