FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally, we can rest easy at night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally, we can rest easy at night
    Posted: 26 February 2006 at 8:48pm

...because underage kids can't get their hands on Halo.

Or at least the few that buy their own games.

HB 2921, known as the "The Child Protection from Violent Video Games Act," would levy fines for sale of violent or sexually-explicit games to minors: $1,000 for first-time offenders and $2,500 for subsequent offenses. The bill would also require that games rated "M" or "AO" -- Mature and Adults Only -- be kept behind a retailer's counter.

tecumseh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I Wanna Title!! Waah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tecumseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:25pm
hahahaha i was waiting for them to lock up games like that
what?
pbdude985 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbdude985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:42pm
lol so many people are going to get mad
lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:45pm
there used to be this cool store that would let kids get whatever they wanted, i was like 10 and rented GTA3 no problem, to bad they closed
Jack Carver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:46pm
You know those signs they have for buying tabacoo products:

Originally posted by Sign Sign wrote:

You must have been born on this day or before in 19XX to buy cigarrettes.

Yeah now they're gonna have em at Best Buy for video games.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:49pm

Good.

People under 17 don't need violent games.

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:50pm
For the past few years here in NC they carded almost everyone buying anything above M rated.  This is nothing new to me.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:52pm
I'm 18, I dont care.
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:03pm
i dont play video games much, plus i'll be 18 in july.
piranhakiller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piranhakiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:08pm

Originally posted by cadet_sergeant cadet_sergeant wrote:

i dont play video games much, plus i'll be 18 in july.

Ya same sept March but I think thats crap. Its honestly not that violent....

~Marker setup~

2K1 Autococker
Rt Feed
12in Freak
ANS 3-Way
Black Houge Grip
Shocktech Drop Forward

TippmannA5                 
16in J&Jceramic
r/t
2X trigger
Blue Dye c4
XenoSabre View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
o@_ _ _ <-- Snail with diarrhea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XenoSabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:40pm
I work at a Video Game Store. I once had a 12 year old attempt to prove how mature he was to me by cussing me out because I wouldn't sell him San Andreas... I did have a ball dragging his butt out the door though.
Good times.
[IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/Xeno-Sabre/kutaragi.png">
http://xeno-sabre.deviantart.com/
Oedipus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oedipus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:52pm

This matters very little for two reasons. First, Utah is loaded with people that are scared of anything except having twelve kids and giving up ten perecent of their income.

Second, Kansas? Whoopity doo this new law thingy will afect like nine kids statewide.

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Good.

People under 17 don't need violent games.

nor do they need to be mislead into doing dangerous things with their paintball gear because they read some of your posts in the new players forum. 
X
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 11:01pm
so what...if the parents think their child is mature enough to handle a violent game and know the differences between fantasy and reality then they'll buy their kid the game..the ones that shouldn't be playing the games are the only ones affected by this law and that's a good thing

TruePaintballer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Spam 11-19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruePaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 11:04pm
I think it is a good idea to keep young minds away from thinking about games they shouldn't be playing, but I think it could grow hasselsome for myself and others that want to buy games that are rated M
Outlaws
*Sponsors*
Abrika
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 11:21pm

I'm not an avid gamer, but most of the games I own are "M" rated. Granted I'm 19, but I've played "M" games since I was about 11. I don't "feed off the violence", and I've never been unable to distinguish between reality and fantasy. I think that's purely up to the parents' discretion, and IMO this is all a load of BS. The ones that are playing them now aren't going to stop, because if you're under the age of 17 your parents are more than likely buying your games for you anyway.

The only exceptions to the rule I could see are Rockstar's line of games with major questionable ethics, like GTA and Manhunt, one of which rewards for hookers and whacking your fellow hoodies, and the other is just flat out grotesque murder.

I think the responsibility with this lies in two places-the ESRB, and the parents. The game manufacturers aren't to blame, and the retail buisnesses for sure aren't to blame.

Even without the explicit scene in San Andreas, I think that game should have garnered an AO rating, and so should Manhunt, Soldier of Fortune, and all of the various games of such. Remeber-the M rating is for 17+. Besides, AO gives the parents more of a red flag. Maybe when they see Adults Only on a game, they'll think "Hey, junior doesn't need this." But everything is rated M now. I didn't find Halo gory at all, yet it's rated M. Games like Far Cry and Half-Life 2 fall firmly into the "M" category, but I don't see those causing any harm to kids playing them.

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 11:54pm
^Agreed. I wish you had to be like 17 and older to access xbl. Little kids are exposed to a lot of racism and swearing through it. Additionally, little kids are just damn annoying in general on games like Halo2.
blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 1:26am
glad i dont live in utah...im 16...and i own a ton of rated M games...now im not imature and my parents and friends know that...so my parents dont have problems with me owning games rated M...and i agree with Benjichang that there should be an age limit on xbox live...little kids suck, there voices are so annoying and high pitched...

Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 6:21am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I'm 18, I dont care.
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 6:55am
Who even buys video games?
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic