FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help mehs out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help mehs out!
    Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:26am
I just built a new computer, and it works and everything, BUT IT DOENS'T WORK AT ALL WITH ANY VIDEOGAME, IT FREEZES, AND I HAVE TO PRESS THE RESTART BUTTON, ALL OF MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE, AND I DID ANYTHING I COULD TO FIND THIS PROBLEM, BUT SO FAR NOTHING HELPED, WHAT IS WRONG OMG.

Also, scatan,  YOU SUCK.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:26am
Originally posted by Mehs Mehs wrote:

I just built a new computer

Found the problem
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:27am

Computer specs-?

Video Games-?

Koolit32 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language in link 4/10/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koolit32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:27am
double check how your video card is seated, and check for damage all over the thing

check the video settings in the game also..
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:42am
This sounds like your new computer rig needs a few health jolts of static electricity or some magnets hung from the disk drives.

I just love how there was a huge internet trend to build custom computer riggs and now the trickle down effect has finally hit the people that dont know what they are doing and the trend is making their lives miserable.

Looks like you should have spent all the money you saved up for this rig on a Dell. At least it would have worked out of the box.

Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:48am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Computer specs-?

Video Games-?

ATI x1600 pro, 256 mb of ram

1 gig of Kingston Value Ram

A8NE mobo

one 250 gig harddrive, one 40 gig harddrive

and the games are Battlefield 2 in full settings, Call of Duty 2 it just dies in the menu, and in Quake 3, it just dies randomly.
Squeeze Box
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:51am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

This sounds like your new computer rig needs a few health jolts of static electricity or some magnets hung from the disk drives.

I just love how there was a huge internet trend to build custom computer riggs and now the trickle down effect has finally hit the people that dont know what they are doing and the trend is making their lives miserable.

Looks like you should have spent all the money you saved up for this rig on a Dell. At least it would have worked out of the box.

The computer works great actually, I don't think it's a hardware problem at all, maybe a messed up install of windows.
Squeeze Box
mjicmike View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjicmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:55am

are there any patches for the games ?

A5 Rfs Dwg triggr
Ricochet R5
8"Lapco Bigsht/14"CP Classic
Palmers Stab.
Lapco uni-mount
DOP bullet drop fwd
PMI 88/4500

Woods
Flatline/14"Lapco Bigsht
CMI Thunder pig reg.
Remote adj. stk
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 2:58am
Originally posted by mjicmike mjicmike wrote:

are there any patches for the games ?

Yeah, everything is up to date.
Squeeze Box
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:00am

BF2 is pretty darn taxing on your system, and I've never played Call of Duty 2 but I know it's supposedly pretty taxing too. A couple of random checks-

As Koolit said, check your seatings.

Make sure if your anti-virus program is running a firewall that you preset those games as acceptable programs. Otherwise software like McAffe will popup and freeze your game during the loading process to ask you if you would like to allow it.

Also, since I got my new rig, I've noticed it randomly locks up sometimes. Not sure why yet, I'm still trying to figure it out, but if I let it sit for a couple of minutes, it resumes what it was doing. So depending on how long you're waiting and what way the game's freezing, you might even try that.

*edit* just read that you updated your games

Edited by stratoaxe - 26 February 2006 at 3:02am
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:07am

BF2 is pretty darn taxing on your system, and I've never played Call of Duty 2 but I know it's supposedly pretty taxing too. A couple of random checks-

As Koolit said, check your seatings.

Make sure if your anti-virus program is running a firewall that you preset those games as acceptable programs. Otherwise software like McAffe will popup and freeze your game during the loading process to ask you if you would like to allow it.

Also, since I got my new rig, I've noticed it randomly locks up sometimes. Not sure why yet, I'm still trying to figure it out, but if I let it sit for a couple of minutes, it resumes what it was doing. So depending on how long you're waiting and what way the game's freezing, you might even try that.

*edit* just read that you updated your games

I ran a burnin program for about 8 hours straight, and everything was consistent, I just don't know what it is.  Also, I have no firewall, and anti-virus software was not installed when I tested to see if it would freeze.
Squeeze Box
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:20am

Computer specs-?

Video Games-?

ATI x1600 pro, 256 mb of ram1 gig of Kingston Value RamA8NE moboone 250 gig harddrive, one 40 gig harddriveand the games are Battlefield 2 in full settings, Call of Duty 2 it just dies in the menu, and in Quake 3, it just dies randomly.

Power supply?
mjicmike View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjicmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:23am
you can use momentarily the built-in firewall in Windows XP if you do not have a separate firewall program.
A5 Rfs Dwg triggr
Ricochet R5
Palmers Stab.
Lapco uni-mount
DOP bullet drop fwd
PMI 88/4500

Woods
Flatline/14"Lapco Bigsht
CMI Thunder pig reg.
Remote adj. stk
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:31am
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Computer specs-?

Video Games-?

ATI x1600 pro, 256 mb of ram1 gig of Kingston Value RamA8NE moboone 250 gig harddrive, one 40 gig harddriveand the games are Battlefield 2 in full settings, Call of Duty 2 it just dies in the menu, and in Quake 3, it just dies randomly.

Power supply?

430 watt Thermaltake PSU

This could also be the problem, I'll have to look through everything tomorrow.
Squeeze Box
mjicmike View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjicmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:38am
clean up your system before you check on your power supply.  Run the defragmentation program first, then the error checking last.  The error-checking takes the longest, maybe an hour or two and it will only commence when you restart your computer.  This way your computer runs slightly better and more efficient.

Edited by mjicmike - 26 February 2006 at 3:39am
A5 Rfs Dwg triggr
Ricochet R5
Palmers Stab.
Lapco uni-mount
DOP bullet drop fwd
PMI 88/4500

Woods
Flatline/14"Lapco Bigsht
CMI Thunder pig reg.
Remote adj. stk
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 3:45am
Originally posted by mjicmike mjicmike wrote:

clean up your system before you check on your power supply.  Run the defragmentation program first, then the error checking last.  The error-checking takes the longest, maybe an hour or two and it will only commence when you restart your computer.  This way your computer runs slightly better and more efficient.

Should I bother if it was a fresh install of XP??
Squeeze Box
mjicmike View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjicmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 4:03am
it wouldn't hurt it, just help it, defragging a drive reduces access time and makes the harddrive work more efficient and slightly faster.  Everytime you load/delete, install/uninstall,  a program it takes space in your harddrive.  Sometimes they leave empty spaces and that increases the access time, making it slow.  By defragging, it compacts information closer together making the drive access faster.  You can skip the error-checking.

Edited by mjicmike - 26 February 2006 at 4:04am
A5 Rfs Dwg triggr
Ricochet R5
Palmers Stab.
Lapco uni-mount
DOP bullet drop fwd
PMI 88/4500

Woods
Flatline/14"Lapco Bigsht
CMI Thunder pig reg.
Remote adj. stk
mjicmike View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjicmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:57am
are you running (2) sticks of 512MB kingston memory or just (1) 1GB ?  most games perform better when you take advantage of the dual channel feature.  And you would need (2) sticks that are identical with each other in order for the dual channel to work properly.
A5 Rfs Dwg triggr
Ricochet R5
Palmers Stab.
Lapco uni-mount
DOP bullet drop fwd
PMI 88/4500

Woods
Flatline/14"Lapco Bigsht
CMI Thunder pig reg.
Remote adj. stk
Funky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Pants? I dont need no stinking pants.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 11:08am
Since it's only games, we can pretty much deduce that it's the video card, unless some backround program is causing some issues.

Regardless, check support forums for your line of video or perhaps the motherboard.

I know with my computer, I have my videocard set to AGP 4x because it crashes at 8x, so perhaps lower the speed on your AGP/PCI-E slot?

Otherwise, to the computer forums!

"Don't you hate pants?"
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 11:13am
stop looking at pr0n. im thinking video card.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic