FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Propane launchers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane launchers?
    Posted: 25 February 2006 at 5:48pm

Alright, this is something I don't get.

For years, fields have not allowed combustion fired spudgun type launchers for scenario games.

But since the C-3 has legitimized propane as a fuel, shouldn't it be totally acceptable to use it in properly-constructed launchers that consistantly meet a certain velocity? I mean, if it isn't going to explode, and it's ot going to have velocity spikes, why not allow it? It'd be a lot easier to deal with the fuel source considering most scenario launchers use CO2 or HPA at a rediculous rate. This would make a paintball mortar, tank or howitzer a lot more feasable.

Just figured I'd toss it out there.

Ashdawg View Drop Down
Official Forum Drama Queen of the Night

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2006 at 6:09pm
I'm all for it. I think it would be great, especially if I had one!
"Too close for missles, switching to guns..."
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2006 at 10:12pm
if you have ever been to Hell Survivors, they have used a propane powered launcher for years. They turn it down to launch t-shirts and stuff in the dMZ. They turn up the flow to fire a loud bang to start big games.
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 12:26am

tippmann has researched propane for a while now...  most other people havn't gone that in-depth with it and don't know it's dangers...  it would be neat though.

X
Mr. Heckler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Heckler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 12:50am
T'would.
The Tippmann Forums.....My Anti-Drug.

-98Custom
-Flatline
-6-Position Collapsible Stock
-32 Degrees Remote Hose
-Crossman Red Dot
MT. Vigilante View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 12:28pm

Just don't get to close to an open flame while firing your marker! LOL.

(I can't beleave my profile still works after this long)

Edited by MT. Vigilante - 27 February 2006 at 12:29pm
Join the XP Re-Revolution!
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by MT. Vigilante MT. Vigilante wrote:

Just don't get to close to an open flame while firing your marker! LOL.

(I can't beleave my profile still works after this long)

No. The propane is combusted inside the marker, therefore there would be no unburnt  propane to come out of the marker after its fired.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 12:36pm
Oh, thats good. That seemed to me to be the only drawback, but now that you have cleared that up I ask; Why did tippmann put that system in a pump and not a semi-auto marker?
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 12:43pm
Because of heat dissipation. The heat would not dissipate fast enough on a semi shooting 15bps, wheras you are ok shooting 2-4bps with a pump.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 1:15pm

So does the new marker actually internally cumbust the propane in order to propel the paintball, if so how do they keep the paint from melting.

( Sorry for all the stupid questions, I havent done much reaserch on it.)

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 1:28pm
Yes, it is internally combusted.

How it doesn't melt the paint, IDK... Ask a mod.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 3:25pm

The problem with other propane powered launchers, especially spud gun type....is velocity regulation. This is my guess anyway. You're able to regulate the velocity on a C-3, and unless you can do the same with a home made launcher, I don't see it being allowed. This is the only real problem that I can see.

Has anyone heard of any fields that don't allow the C-3? 

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 7:25pm

I was considering the feasability of constructing a system similar to the C3 as far as velocity regulation. It's easy enough to regulate the amount of fuel used. It shouldn't be too hard to find a way to restrict chamber voulme if not going through the whole spring loaded piston thing.

Either way, I'd love to see a Mk 19 type automatic launcher some day. It'd be great for getting people out of bunkers and moving.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 9:51am
If you can limit the fuel use for the velocity regulation, then yeah, you should be all set, and these things should be legal. Theres no reason for them not to be, now that its been proven to be safe and effective.

spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 10:01am

I forgot where I read it, but I believe Bruce A. Frank has a post somewhere on the complete workings of the C-3. 

BUT, Snake6 is right, the combustion is contained in the combustion chamber, however, it does vent the spent gas (it has too, otherwise it wouldn't shoot again).  I believe (don't quote me on this) but when you pump the gun, it does two things, vents prior spent gas AND releases another burst of propane, to be mixed in the combustion chamber.  Also, as far as not melting the paint, it's a burst flash combustion, not a sustained fire.  So it won't get hot enough to melt the paint.  If you look on my webpage, I have built propane spud launchers and have never had a problem with heat and melting the PVC or the paint (although I should at a rate of about 1 projectile per every couple of minutes).

junojpeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junojpeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 2:38pm
I have a spud launcher, and in the scenario of the game, we accidentally put too much scotch gard in the chamber, we shot it at their base, and it went through the fresh wood we used to build it. But we still use it anyway. We use it to make them get behind their bunker so we can move up.
Woodsball:
Tippmann A-5
Responce Trigger
Flatline Barrel

Speed/Airball:
Tippmann A-5
Responce Trigger
14'Empire Twister Barrel
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by junojpeg junojpeg wrote:

I have a spud launcher, and in the scenario of the game, we accidentally put too much scotch gard in the chamber, we shot it at their base, and it went through the fresh wood we used to build it. But we still use it anyway. We use it to make them get behind their bunker so we can move up.

You want power (not recommended for paintball, however), try ether.  But be very, very careful.  I put no more than a half second squirt in a 4" x 10" combustion chamber, and I can poke a hole through 1/2 plywood, with a nerf football....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic