Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning threads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mulepower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mulepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning threads
    Posted: 11 February 2006 at 7:28am
I was just wondering if anybody had some good ways to clean the threads of the gas hose or the two valve lock bolts.
cus98tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cus98tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2006 at 8:46am
A mettle pick or small screw driver ( like for eye glasses) works well. Try not using knife .
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2006 at 11:56am
Or if you have the proper size tap and die, you could run that through to clean it up.  Just don't go so far as to cut the threads and use oil....But only do this if you're comfortable, because you can screw the threads up.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2006 at 9:01pm
I use a dentist's pick for such things.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2006 at 1:58am
wire brush?
not2messwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote not2messwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2006 at 9:33pm
yes dental pick works great - also a must have for removing o-rings.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2006 at 3:24am

Originally posted by mulepower mulepower wrote:

I was just wondering if anybody had some good ways to clean the threads of the gas hose or the two valve lock bolts.

At any welding supply store, most Home Depots and most good hardware stores carry wire brushes that look about the size of tooth brushes. Usually you can find both steel or brass bristles. Either will do a pretty good job on hardened LocTite and shredded Teflon ribbon stuck in the threads. Plastic bristles just aren't tough enough (such as an old tooth brush). Brass and stainless bristles are a good choice since over time they won't rust

If you don't think that works well enough then Spudcrazy's suggestion of using the correct die to clean the threads is an absolute best solution to the dirty thread problem. I have dies that fit those fittings and use them that way occasionally. They are just a little pricey. The least expensive ones you can find will work for cleaning threads. Also find them in Home Depot. (Man, I recommend HD so much, maybe I should buy stock)

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2006 at 8:40am
Pick up a 1/8 NPT thread die, you can find them at any hardware store.

That is absolutely the most thorough way to clean threads. Just be careful not to crossthread the fitting. A neat trick is to press the fitting and die together, and turn the fitting counter-clockwise until you feel a click. That click is the threads meshing together, then begin to turn the fitting clockwise and it will thread into the thread die and get cleaned off nicely.

That backwards turning trick is handy for any threaded object that has a tendancy to crossthread, especially things like 98 valve bolts.
Monkey Dust View Drop Down
Total Idiot - Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2006 at 9:52am

Why don't you uses just water thats what i do.

Is this bad?

a new breed of dracula!!!!!!

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2006 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Monkey Dust Monkey Dust wrote:

Why don't you uses just water thats what i do.

Is this bad?

Yes, your gun will explode next time you do that.  Use common sense.  It shouldnt harm anything, just it may not get all of the debris stuck in your threads.

Edited by Yomillio - 14 February 2006 at 3:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic