Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How To Clean Barrel Porting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rdcisneros3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdcisneros3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Clean Barrel Porting
    Posted: 09 February 2006 at 12:52pm
This is kind of a silly question, but I need advice. I have a J&J Ceramic barrel and it has some paint in the porting towards the shooting end of the barrel. The inside of the barrel is clean so it's just a little bit of paint in the ported holes. Any good ideas that I can try for cleaning these bits of paint out?

Edited by rdcisneros3 - 09 February 2006 at 12:53pm
Donny Cisneros
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 12:54pm
Try running water through it. If that doesn't work because the paint is dry, take a paperclip or something of that nature and poke it through the holes.
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 1:13pm

Even if the paint is dry, hot, hot water will clean it right out.  I, also, am hooked on the Rain-X in the barrel thing.  It makes shooting out breaks much more efficient. 

After cleaning the barrel with hot soapy water, run a saturated towel through the barrel.  Let stand for a minute or so, then run a small, soft cotton rag through the barrel to pick out excess Rain-X.  Have the rag be just big enough to fit down the bore without being a tight fit, but enough to clean the walls.  (Very loose fit.)

Bango View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Rugged Individualist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 4:16pm
Hot water. Or pipe cleaners.
Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 10:23pm
i like that rain-x idea...

especially because i have a teardrop, which if you dont know is IMPOSSIBLE to shoot through a break with.
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
whack-a-mole View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Member of the "I Have No Life Club"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whack-a-mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 10:27pm
yeah, water should do it. If just running water over it doesn't work, plug one end and run water through the other.
NASA and the Americans spent millions of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a pen that would write in space.....The Russians used a pencil.
rdcisneros3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdcisneros3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 9:12am

If I run a towel through it to dry the water on the inside, won't that mess up the "special coating" that J&J Ceramic's have on the inside?

Donny Cisneros
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 9:22am
Nope. There's no special coating.

The Teflon is impregnated into the aluminum pores of the barrel during construction. That's where the slickness comes from.

Wadded paper towel or tissue will be fine.

Hot water, dawn dish soap, wadded tissue run thru with dowel rod or cut straight piece of plastic hanger... that's what I used. Then run a couple pieces of dry tissue thru to dry.

Rain-X works great. I use it on most of my barrels... exception being the J&J Ceramic which I felt was slick enough, therefore negating the need. But it can't hurt, so long as it's applied properly.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 9:32am
Hmm, I have never tried the Rain-X thing on my barrels. Ill have to do that to my Bigshot.
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Hmm, I have never tried the Rain-X thing on my barrels. Ill have to do that to my Bigshot.
Yup. Great results with my Lapcos.

Soak a tissue wad with the stuff... run it thru the barrel a couple times. Wait for it to dry to a haze... run a clean dry tissue thru.
Run another clean dry tissue thru.
Repeat until all the Rain X has been buffed out.

Mr. White View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2006 at 3:51am
Great idea. Will try
Where's the strongbox you sidewinder you!
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2006 at 4:17am

Originally posted by rdcisneros3 rdcisneros3 wrote:

This is kind of a silly question, but I need advice. I have a J&J Ceramic barrel and it has some paint in the porting towards the shooting end of the barrel. The inside of the barrel is clean so it's just a little bit of paint in the ported holes. Any good ideas that I can try for cleaning these bits of paint out?

Hot water and an old tooth brush. I would avoid anything metal when cleaning the holes as it might damage the inside edge of the porting hole.

pwned!!! View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Rudeness 6/30

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwned!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 8:01am
the only way to properly clea barrel porting is to run it under a tap and gently wipe it to make the paint come off, barrel squeegies or swabs dont get the paint out of the porting
ollieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 9:12am
Would there be any benefit to coating a flatline with Rain-X?
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 9:37am
Originally posted by ollieb ollieb wrote:

Would there be any benefit to coating a flatline with Rain-X?
I can't vouch for whether it would do any harm, or help. My gut tells me that no, it would not be beneficial. The flatline has a rough internal surface... which is necessary to create the backspin. Rain-X cannot be applied properly to a non-smooth surface.
Crossfire636 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crossfire636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:15pm
use hot water...white vinigar will do if but idk if it will eat u r barrel...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic