FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Converting to sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 4:11pm

I'm not going to get into the sniper debate part of this.  So I'm going to assume that 621 wants to play a marksman/ambush style of paintball and offer the following advice:

• Barrel
    • No experience with the Apex
    • Based on a lot of Flatline experience I consider the Flatline to be much more effective as a suppressive tool rather than a "sniping" tool
      • The nature of the ammunition makes single shot accuracy difficult at the longer ranges the barrel provides
      • The flatter trajectory is a distinct advantage when playing in terrain with thick growth-it can allow successful engagement of opponents that can't return fire because overhanging growth prevents arcing of rounds
    • Personal recomendation is a J&J (Bigshots are good also, but I prefer them on A5s and J&Js on 98s)
  • Sights-I like red dot sights, they are very handy for guaranteeing first shot hits if the dot has been adjusted to the impact point of the marker (assuming the marker is consistent)
  • HPA vs. CO2
    • CO2 is cheap (as are the tanks) and provides more shots for the weight carried (in good weather)
    • HPA provides better consistency year round
      • Good consistency is a major factor in accuracy (it's nice to know that the rounds will always go to the same place) 
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 4:18pm
But even with all that stuff, you are not a Sniper. Anyone can run around in the woods with all the gear mentioned. Carrying that type of gear does not make you a sniper. Just like a Iraqi carrying a Dragonov around does not make him a Sniper.
JediJak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 6:18pm
ok one of the moderators should compile a list of all this information on "snipers" and sticky it. then we can just refer people to the sticky and let them make up their own mind.
Tippmann Chameleon M98

Upgrades:

14in. Teardrop Barrel
GTA Expansion Chamber
20oz. Co2
Pollished Internals
Tape Mod
Spring Mod

Pic:
http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tippy3qe.jpg
VimyRidge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VimyRidge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 6:19pm
Alot of good suggestions here. You mentioned a weapon considering cost. Coming from a 98c owner, I would suggest making your marker more consistant with its shots, and add range. Consistancy can be gained by adding a plamer stabilizer and HPA. As for range, I`ve used the BT Apex barrel and I was not impressed. Go with a Lapco bighsot 14" and a small hopper, such as a tac cap loader.
"The key in war isn't to die for your country, but to make the othe bastard die for his".
MoNkeY Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNkeY Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 8:39pm
  Remember that any one can creep up and peper you. It's a joy to sneak up on "Snipers" and give em a good bonus ball to the back with the good ol RT.
Rock Slide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Well, my player card says Iím an <KRL> !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Slide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2006 at 9:56pm

Or step on one...  But they tend to get startled and shoot you in the neck at point blank range. 

The body has yet to be found...

I bring annihilation

and cheap red wine!
sniper621 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper621 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 12:40am

ok snake i thing you are getting a little too hot headed about the sniper thing. 

For one you can be a sniper in paintball as well as a marksman. the reason is a marksman like u said chooses targets of opptunity, thus in paintball which is pretty much anyone who doesn't see it coming. though a marksman will have a target of value to eliminate, he is most likely to eliminate this value target and anyone who happens to cross the business end of his rifle

While  a sniper, like you said takes out target of value.  which in paintball is a person with the mose experience on the opposing team, the one shouting orders, or someone you just dont like.  he is most likely not to enguage targets that dont c him, or he might chose to, to lure the target of value out into the open.

so as you can c the way i explain it is both can be in the game of paintball. 

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:12am
Originally posted by sniper621 sniper621 wrote:

ok snake i thing you are getting a little too hot headed about the sniper thing. 

For one you can be a sniper in paintball as well as a marksman. the reason is a marksman like u said chooses targets of opptunity, thus in paintball which is pretty much anyone who doesn't see it coming. though a marksman will have a target of value to eliminate, he is most likely to eliminate this value target and anyone who happens to cross the business end of his rifle

Exactly. You are tracking perfectly here.

While  a sniper, like you said takes out target of value.  which in paintball is a person with the mose experience on the opposing team, the one shouting orders, or someone you just dont like.  he is most likely not to enguage targets that dont c him, or he might chose to, to lure the target of value out into the open.

Somone you just dont like doesn't make him a target of high value. Also a sniper enages targets from beyond the effective range of return fire by the enemy, with a single accurate shot. This is physically impossible to do in paintball because, all straight barrels have the same range, and the Flatline/Apex Systems dont have the accuracy at beyond the effective range of return fire. Even if you could get an accurate shot off at 150 with a flatline, the chances of it breaking are slim to none becuase the ball loses velocity at the same rate as a normal ball. The only way to have a ball not lose velocity art the same rate as normal ball would to have it fired with a higher muzzle velocity.  That is illegal in paintball.

so as you can c the way i explain it is both can be in the game of paintball. 

Therefore I return to my Garbage truck anology.

warbeak2099 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
So I said, "That is my foot!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbeak2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:31am
^QFT. You can't be a sniper in paintball with the available technology of today. No company has released a consistant, accurate, range increasing upgrade. The Apex and Flatline shoot farther, but they are just inferior to other barrels when it comes to accuracy. And you can't be a sniper with a normal barrel, because you're still in range of the enemy. The definition of a sniper puts him out of effective range of the enemy.
MIDN 2/C, US Navy

LCE-SpyderMag | G-Force Pneumatic Mag | '99 RF Sniper II
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:34am
I just cant figure out why noobs cant understand physics? I mena I have a D in my physics class and I understand it perfectly fine.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbeak2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 4:19pm
It's because they like to think of themselves as all knowing. They're noobs, but they are somehow more intelligent and informed on the topic than we are. They don't understand that we're trying to help them whereas the companies who offer "sniper" products are trying to screw them. They switch it around and make us the bad guys even though we have more experience under our belts and know what we're talking about. I say fine, if they want to remain ignorant than I'm not going to waste my time with them. I'm going to help out the noobs who will listen to me.
MIDN 2/C, US Navy

sniper621 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper621 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 8:33pm

Snake and warbeak I am not a noob i mostly likely have a better understanding of paintball then both of you    While you seem to be full of your selves from what i have read.  just because a sniper in military terms does not meet what can be physically be achieved in paintball due to the rounds lack of aerodynamics.  Which it is not the shape of the round that does not make it aerodynamic while it does play a role, its the liquid inside and it would lose velocity a bit quicker than a normal ball because of the weight of the liquid inside the paintball.  It does not mean a person cannot be a sniper in paintball.  it called doing what you can with what you got.   

JediJak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 8:36pm

Snake and warbeak I am not a noob i mostly likely have a better understanding of paintball then both of you    While you seem to be full of your selves from what i have read.  just because a sniper in military terms does not meet what can be physically be achieved in paintball due to the rounds lack of aerodynamics.  Which it is not the shape of the round that does not make it aerodynamic while it does play a role, its the liquid inside and it would lose velocity a bit quicker than a normal ball because of the weight of the liquid inside the paintball.  It does not mean a person cannot be a sniper in paintball.  it called doing what you can with what you got.   

if its not the same as a "sniper" then why do u call it a "sniper"?
Tippmann Chameleon M98

Upgrades:

14in. Teardrop Barrel
GTA Expansion Chamber
20oz. Co2
Pollished Internals
Tape Mod
Spring Mod

Pic:
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbeak2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:09pm
Yea, doing what you can with what you've got...

hat means there are things you can't do... like meet the definition of a sniper! Huh, your own words prove you wrong.

Oh, and you know more about paintball than me?

Here's a little quiz for you:

What is the max rate of fire allowed in the PSP Xball circuit?

What is the difference between cycling and operating pressure and how do they affect the operation of a paintball marker?

What is the average bore size of an RPS brand Marbelizer paintball?

How long have you been playing? Seriously man, don't be ignorant. When someone is right and you're wrong, don't keep arguing. It makes you look terrible. Really, I'm here to use my experience to help. But when people act stubborn and tell me I'm wrong even though I have based my statements on facts, it makes me a little perturbed. Understand? I don't like it when I state facts and someone says their opinion is more correct. Don't take offense to me getting angry at you. Just chalk it up as learning. You've got to listen to the more experienced guys. That's how you learn. And when something you say is proven wrong, you learn from it. Everyone makes mistakes. Hell, when someone proves me wrong, I like to learn from it. That's how I get better and that's how I'm able to help others.

Now, what we all should have learned here is that you can't meet the definition of a sniper in paintball. And that's ok. You can't change the definition so that it fits you though, that's not ok. It's like changing the definition of science to include Intelligent Design. While it is a philosophy, it is not science by the definition of the field of study. And there's nothing wrong with that. By the definition of the role of a sniper, one cannot meet that role in paintball. They can however meet the role of a paintball marksman or ambusher. You can create new roles to form to paintball. You can't call them snipers because they aren't. Another analogy would be to change the definition of an orange to include apples. Crazy right? That's just what this is like.

So, I don't mean to be... mean to you. I just get frusterated when people don't understand something or won't listen to the facts. Seriously, no animosity towards you brother. *Extends hand*
MIDN 2/C, US Navy

sniper621 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper621 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:20pm

Jedijak to answer your question i really dont have a good answer except when i got into paintball and explained to the person who sold me the gun he understood what i was getting at even though the qualities of a sniper in military terms dont dont quite match up with the capabilitys of todays paintball products.

So to answer your question is just a word i use that everybody understands  and understands the qualities that i am tryign to add in my paintball playing

Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:24pm
Good post snake.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
sniper621 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper621 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:47pm

warbeak

I have no intrest at all i playing PSP Xball circuit i will answer this question the best way i can from what i remember 15 bps cap,as long as the first 3 shots are true semi auto and as long as it stops firing when the trigger is fully realeased from what i can remember unless it has been update with in the last few years

Cycling pressure=cocking pressure: This is the air pressure that is used to cycle your backblock forward and backward to cock the gun. It can be adjusted using your low pressure regulator (on the front block).

Operating pressure=firing pressure: This is the pressure used to fire the paintball. It is adjusted using your inline regulator.

as for bore size im not 100% sure since i really dont care what bore size i am shooting but i am going to say .689 - .684

cool dude
i under stand where you are comming from it just when you use a word and everybody know what you are talking about its just that i didnt relize that there are other terms that are used in paintball that define what i am trying to become in paintball a little better than sniper, like i said there are new works at use that are not in my vocab since i have been away from the game so long

extends hand back

JediJak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:50pm

Jedijak to answer your question i really dont have a good answer except when i got into paintball and explained to the person who sold me the gun he understood what i was getting at even though the qualities of a sniper in military terms dont dont quite match up with the capabilitys of todays paintball products.

So to answer your question is just a word i use that everybody understands  and understands the qualities that i am tryign to add in my paintball playing

but what people are trying to tell you is that u are using the word incorectly. There are players who try to hide and shoot people that arent aware of them, but this does not mean they are snipers.
Tippmann Chameleon M98

Upgrades:

14in. Teardrop Barrel
GTA Expansion Chamber
20oz. Co2
Pollished Internals
Tape Mod
Spring Mod

Pic:
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbeak2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:52pm
Yup, cool. One thing about the cycling pressure, it applies to all guns, not just cockers. Of course, only markers that use lprs are able to adjust it. The blowback on a Tippmann or Spyder is styll cycling pressure.

But yeah, there are other terms for what you're doing. It's not being a sniper it's really more of a marksman or ambusher. In paintball, these players don't shoot from really far away. They simply conceal themselves and take accurate shots at targets within their range. You basically stalk people. I just hate when those companies appeal to noobs by calling everything a sniper this or sniper that. People trying to rip off kids of their money... grrrr do they know what it's like working a cash register in a supermarket to pay for your paintballing because you're parents aren't rich!?
MIDN 2/C, US Navy

JediJak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by warbeak2099 warbeak2099 wrote:

Yup, cool. One thing about the cycling pressure, it applies to all guns, not just cockers. Of course, only markers that use lprs are able to adjust it. The blowback on a Tippmann or Spyder is styll cycling pressure.

But yeah, there are other terms for what you're doing. It's not being a sniper it's really more of a marksman or ambusher. In paintball, these players don't shoot from really far away. They simply conceal themselves and take accurate shots at targets within their range. You basically stalk people. I just hate when those companies appeal to noobs by calling everything a sniper this or sniper that. People trying to rip off kids of their money... grrrr do they know what it's like working a cash register in a supermarket to pay for your paintballing because you're parents aren't rich!?

he speaks the truth
Tippmann Chameleon M98

Upgrades:

14in. Teardrop Barrel
GTA Expansion Chamber
20oz. Co2
Pollished Internals
Tape Mod
Spring Mod

Pic:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>