FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Gun" talk...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 6:44pm
It kinda depends, but for what it sounds like you're gonna do I'd say 8-shot 12guage shotgun.....and that is kinda my answer for a lot of "which gun" questions! It is probably the most affordable, reliable, versatile, and powerful weapon you can buy.

That's what I would want defending my life, 8-shot 12 guage.

Edited by Zesty - 31 January 2006 at 6:44pm
"People who see the future earlier than others are always feared and misunderstood." - Jose Canseco
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 6:45pm
This:

....or I guess what hoyt said....Zesty too, that was actually my first idea...

Edited by .Ryan - 31 January 2006 at 6:46pm

DracoPlasm View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What is a DracoPlasm anyway?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DracoPlasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 6:50pm
ak-47 with grenade launcher attached and a drum not a clip

hoginds24 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
who’s the ph00l now?!?!?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoginds24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 6:51pm
I think I'd take a Ma Duce

[IMG]http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6924/willproducsv6.jpg">
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 6:57pm
well shoot... if im at a mall or something it would just be a pistol. but if it was for a more important location (nuke plant or something) it would be an M1A probly socom unless it was long ranged shots then it would be a full length.

but i would need to know where the job is or what type of security before i can pick one spasific gun.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
WUNgUN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
100% Bonafied Jar Head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUNgUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

but i would need to know where the job is or what type of security before i can pick one spasific gun.

Security like sun, sand, and IEDs.
[IMG]http://hometown.aol.com/hlwrangler/myhomepage/revised5_copy.jpg">
""...the Marines we have there now could crush the city and be done with business in four days."--LtGen Conway on Fallujah
Joe Cool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:01pm

M-14 with a optic site, not a scope. The M-14 offers terrific range, the site will give you fast target aquirement even in the dark and if all else the solid wood stock can be used as a club. Oh, plus the barrel includes a bayonet lug.

If you're talking doing security over in Iraq I'd suggest something more compact though. The MP5 is excellent in close range especially since the 9mm cartridges makes muzzle rise almost negligible. In addition it has a high ROF for a submachine gun and is easy to fire out of a car window and makes it easier to bail out if that becomes necessary.

If you're looking at sidearms the Beretta 92FS is a great 9mm or the Colt 1911 is also an excellent choice and both are reliable if maintained properly.

Life is tough, its tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:01pm
This:

And This:

.....two other good choices.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:14pm

Tough call really. For a pistol, hands down an M1911 clone of some type. Reliable, accurate and powerful. If I have to use a pistol, I'm pretty screwed anyways, I'd rather have eight rounds of .45 than double that of 9mm. Yes, i realize I'm not limited to FMJ ammunition, but I shoot an M1911 well, so I'd go with what's comfortable.

For a rifle, I'm going to have to carry it every day, I'd like it light weight. But there are more important considerations that that.

I know they get a bad rep as being underpowered and unreliable, but an AR-15 would be a good bet. Again, I'm not limited to FMJ like the military is. The rifle would ideally have a chrome-lined bore and chamber to aid in reliability and ease cleaning. It would also have a 1/9" twist, since that would work well with military M855 ammunition and lighter weight civilian hunting stuff. I'd aslo like a 20" barrel to get full velocity from the round. I'd probably choose and A4 variant for ease of use of optics. It would be made by Colt, RRA, or Stag arms as they use the same tooling as military rifles and build to the same standards.

While many other arms are "better" than this system, it's standard, and I wouldn't want to get caught with my pants down and not have ammo. Something in the AK family would be great for low matainance and knock down power, but I'd doubt ammunition would be as readily available assuming there's an invasion or some other crisis.

The M-14 type rifle would also be great considering it's reliability, accuracy and sheer power. Also having a NATO standard cartridge. If I went that route, it would have a milled steel receiver from LRB arms, a Sage EBR stock, short, chrome lined barrel, and muzzle break. Top the whole thing with a Trijicon ACOG and you'd be good to go. My only concern would be calibration of the sights to the short barrel(I might even opt for the 22" barrel) and weight. 20 rounds per mag would be fine for me in semi-automatic.

Of course, there are other uptions. A Kel-tec SU-16 would be an almost ideal survival gun, being light, accurate, reliable and use standard M-16 magazines. But finding parts could be a problem. A Lever action .30-30 may not be bad either if you're trying to be low-profile. High magazine capacity, can be reloaded with a round in the chamber.

So:

Katrina aftermath situation: Kel-tec or .30-30. Possibly a Barretta storm carbine in 9mm.

Serious civil unrest, anarchy, zombies: SOCOM type M-14

Invasion of US, military needing to be supplimented by civilian, M-16A4 type rifle.

Chuck Norris View Drop Down
Semper Fi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:16pm

Motorcycle-mounted rocket launchers.

And roundhouse kicks.

Hoytshooter View Drop Down
Guested - Language++

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoytshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:19pm

Hmmmmmm........Katrina aftermath situation I'd have to go with a 12 gauge slug/00 Buckshot alternation.

I shoot a Hoyt

GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:19pm

^^what he said.....my dad said he carried a  colt .45 for the entire time he was in the army, including the four in vietnam, he said theres nothing on this earth that cant be stopped by a .45 bullet, it may be slower than other bullets (not really significant i dont think)< fairly high recoil, but the stopping power is unbelieveable, theres also the glock version of the .45

http://www.glock.com/_45.htm

not sure how the glocks are, ask around

what rednekk98 said that is

Edited by GI JOES SON - 31 January 2006 at 7:20pm
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:25pm

Oh feces Wungun, just re-read your post and now have a better handle on the situation.

Absolutly go with what you're comfortable with. M4 type rifles seem to be all the rage over there, especially covered with acessories. If you're trained on the M-16, this is probably the route to take, especially with getting in and out of vehicles. At under 150yard range, ball ammo would probably be ok, but try the Hornady TAP stuff for better terminal performance.

Go with the short barreled M-14 type if you want even more knock down and don't feel hindered by the magazine capacity and recoil. Shoot before you buy. www.troyind.com has some great M-14 conversions. I've handled their products and found them to balance very well. They also have 30 round mags.

The truth is, in such a case you really do have just about every kind of choice, even rifles with a third pin. Just don't comprimise yourself.

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:30pm
wungun, are you goign to be limited by the Hague convention?
Is there goign t o be any type of ammo limitations? As far as I know, you can't just get anything out there...

I would look into something 5.56mm, however I would personally would prefer a Match Grade M-14 clone.

Edited by Snake6 - 31 January 2006 at 7:33pm
PaintballkidEPS View Drop Down

Strike 2 - F-Bomb in Avatar (08/21)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballkidEPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:33pm
well right now i have a carrying permit for my .38 special but in a war-type scenario i would either carry my M16A2 or just stay posted on my roof with my M92 SR
WUNgUN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
100% Bonafied Jar Head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUNgUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:53pm
After considering the question for a few days, I think I'd go with a Ruger AC556 folder, synthetic of course, with an EoTech up front (scout style). Simple operation/cycle, it'll eat anything 5.56/.223 Rem and its easier to "clean" than an AR/M16 and less likely to malfunction. Did I mention true select fire! Hmmm...for now that's it...
[IMG]http://hometown.aol.com/hlwrangler/myhomepage/revised5_copy.jpg">
""...the Marines we have there now could crush the city and be done with business in four days."--LtGen Conway on Fallujah
Hoytshooter View Drop Down
Guested - Language++

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoytshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by GI JOES SON GI JOES SON wrote:

^^what he said.....my dad said he carried a  colt .45 for the entire time he was in the army, including the four in vietnam, he said theres nothing on this earth that cant be stopped by a .45 bullet, it may be slower than other bullets (not really significant i dont think)< fairly high recoil, but the stopping power is unbelieveable, theres also the glock version of the .45

http://www.glock.com/_45.htm

not sure how the glocks are, ask around

what rednekk98 said that is

HAha  HA, shoot a bear in the head with a .45, It will shake its head and eat you, if you want knock down power shoot a 454 casull, or a 260 smith and wesson or a 500 smith and wesson.

I shoot a Hoyt

ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 8:03pm

Lots of "cool factor" replies! With no consideration for weight of weapon, *weight of ammunition*, and size of weapon.

If you had left out the "sun, sand and IED" and this was a stateside job... you'd have your choice of several good 45ACP sidearms, and that would do the trick.

If this was a "fantasy/dream" and most real-world implications were out the window (while still limiting myself to REAL world choices)... I would personally go with a PDW. The MP7 that .Ryan posted, or a FN P90.

Lightweight. Large ammunition supply with low weight relatively speaking. Compact for carry... compact for *in-vehicle* usage. Basically... something with a high degree of firepower, at beyond-pistol-caliber ranges... while still being very easy to carry and use. A full sized M1A/M-14 would be great... but it would also be quite a burden to carry on a daily basis... and would prove unwieldy when pulling detail that involves vehicle use. If I am carrying this thing every day, ALL day... I wouldn't want something that would contribute to my fatigue. Especially when summer months hit and we're looking at temps in the high broil setting.

But... if we're talking REAL WORLD scenario, taking into consideration this "sun, sand and IED" land... more has to be thought-out.
As nice as it would be to carry a P90... if you're the ONLY one carrying a P90, you're at an instant disadvantage. Gotta keep in mind logistics... including "combat logistics" where you may be forced to use battlefield pick-ups.

So now, as far as I'm concerned, I would pretty much be limited to two choices. A carbine (still have to keep it relatively compact... for vehicle usage) that accepts 5.56x45 out of M-16 mags... or a carbine that accepts 7.62x39 out of AK mags.
I personally am impressed with the HK416 series. Given your M16 training and familiarity with the AR series... you will be comfortable with this weapon. Retains the form and function of the AR... but with the gas system of the G36 series. Vast improvement over the standard AR types. I believe the current barrel lengths are 10.5" and 14.5". Longer ones are in the works... but may or may not be available already (I'm behind in my "current events").

7.62x51 would be nice. But unless you pick up someone else's rifle once you run dry... you may find yourself in a bind, if no one else around you has a similar weapon. M-14 type is nice... AR-10s have improved a great deal in recent years.
And again, not sure if it's available yet... but in keeping with the AR-15 familiarity... there is a 7.62 version of the HK I mentioned above... HK417. Retains the AR feel... but I believe uses readily available G3 mags (which can be picked up DIRT cheap new surplus from a variety of US distributors).

So... if it were available to me... HK416 would be my choice of everyday carry longarm. Familiar weapon so retraining is not necessary... parts, ammo and magazines easily accessible given every US/Brit over there is using SS109/M855 out of AR mags. (Although as rednekk mentioned heavier rounds would be preferred... Mk262 77gr OTM would be a great choice) Can't treat it as harshly or let it get as dirty as you would an AK... but it'll shoot straighter. And with the new gas system, many of the problems of the AR go buh-bye.

As for a sidearm... again tough call. All of my prior criteria would get tossed out the window, as I would not choose a 92FS, even if it meant compatibility with US Forces. A good M1911 would probably be my first choice if 45ACP. If sticking with 9mm, I'd go with a CZ SP01. Even though I would not have mag compatibility with anyone else. But at that point, if you're forced to using your sidearm and run out of ammo for that... you're pretty much toast anyway.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 8:10pm
This count as a gun?

Scotchbroth View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Languge 1/27

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchbroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 8:18pm
^ Yeah, best one yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic