34 [91.89%]
3 [8.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Originally posted by amishman89 amishman89 wrote:

The government should really revise its procedures. I think the only vote should matter is the popular vote.

You know that if this was the way it was, Al Gore would have been president, right?

*shudder*

I for one do not think the electoral college should be changed. It helps protect the balance between the large and small states and is still needed.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
amishman89 View Drop Down
Wow if Id have a TITLE it woud be great

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amishman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:22pm
  Here are a few rules for decideing the Pres. no one with the name starting with Al,Jeb,Kerry,Mbro, are allowed president. To decide a president the 2 canidates play 3 rounds of chess for a test of wisdom and smarts,3 rounds of paper rock, siccors for luck and each one will knife fight to the death on top of a  rolling log.
Only Hugh can prevent florist friars.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by amishman89 amishman89 wrote:

Here are a few rules for decideing the Pres. no one with the name starting with Mbro, are allowed president.
I'm running in 2020.

Vote MBro in 2020, a clear vision for the future.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:23pm
I disagree....The electorial college cirumvents the popular will of the people. They say that it'll make politicians only focus on high population areas but thats what they do anyway, hell the electorial votes are based on population, how would straight popular vote be any different as as far as that goes? The electorial college was started back when the average citizen was view as too ignorant to vote and it isn't any more just now. The people voted for Al Gore, Al Gore should have won, that's democracy. 

Edited by .Ryan - 26 January 2006 at 6:24pm

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

I disagree....The electorial college cirumvents the popular will of the people.
So does the senate, do you think haveing a house of congress where all states get equal votes without taking into context population is fair?
Quote They say
that it'll make politicians only focus on high population areas but
thats what they do anyway, hell the electorial votes are based on
population, how would straight popular vote be any different as as far
as that goes?
Nobody can win the presidency without getting smaller states. They need them to win so they have to represent their views as well as the high population areas.
Quote The electorial college was started back when the average
citizen was view as too ignorant to vote and it isn't any more just
now. The people voted for Al Gore, Al Gore should have won, that's
democracy.
I'd say the average citizen is still to ignorant to vote. But that's just me and I think everyone is an idiot.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry its Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:32pm
I am definately voting for mbro...
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:34pm
we need every vote we can get, happy to have you aboard

JawCrusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JawCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:40pm
Both sides make a good point.... this is why there is an argument about it.
W/out the electoral college, candidates would stick in high populated states
COMPLETELY ignoring the rest of the country. However... yeah, it should be
what the people of the USA decide. Had this argument before with a
colleague and I just can't make a decision about it. However... mbro... you
make very intelligent remarks... keep up the good work.
No Obstacles, Only Challenges

~Christ Krew Luv~
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

I disagree....The electorial college cirumvents the popular will of the people.
So does the senate, do you think haveing a house of congress where all states get equal votes without taking into context population is fair?

You do have a point but the Senate is a different case because it is balanced out by the congress. It can't do things by it's self like the electorial college does. Maybe they should consider popular vote and the electorial college?

They say
that it'll make politicians only focus on high population areas but
thats what they do anyway, hell the electorial votes are based on
population, how would straight popular vote be any different as as far
as that goes?
Nobody can win the presidency without getting smaller states. They need them to win so they have to represent their views as well as the high population areas.

Right, they couldn't win without them in a popular vote system either....the canadates would prolly stick to the capitals but when was the last time a person running for federal office stopped buy your town? (point negated if you live in a big city but you know what I mean...)

The electorial college was started back when the average
citizen was view as too ignorant to vote and it isn't any more just
now. The people voted for Al Gore, Al Gore should have won, that's
democracy.
I'd say the average citizen is still to ignorant to vote. But that's just me and I think everyone is an idiot.

I tend to agree with you on that point but it still isn't right when a president that most of the people didn't vote for takes office.

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 7:19pm

Right, they couldn't win without them in a popular vote system either....the canadates would prolly stick to the capitals but when was the last time a person running for federal office stopped buy your town? (point negated if you live in a big city but you know what I mean...)

Au contraire.  Here in Wisconsin we see Mbro's point demonstrated every Presidential election.  In 2004, small towns in Wisconsin were visited several time by EACH of Bush, Cheney, Kerry, and whatsisname.

Every Presidential election I have my choice of rallies to attend, within easy walking distance.

Not just Milwaukee, but Madison, Eau Claire, Green Bay, etc. 

It's like clockwork, and it would never happen if were on a popular vote.

whack-a-mole View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Member of the "I Have No Life Club"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whack-a-mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 8:19pm

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

I am definately voting for mbro...

me too

NASA and the Americans spent millions of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a pen that would write in space.....The Russians used a pencil.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 8:38pm
Well, I guess I'll bow out gracefully on that point then Ramb, but it just strikes me as a bit off when a president isn't actually elected by the majority of people.....

ares View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ares Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 1:41am
crap man! I wondered what the response would be, but I expect this big of a response. and yes Stephen Colbert came up with the question. Obvious Bush won't be on Mt. Rushmore 2. I guess it is amazing what can result from a simple trick question.
ares View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ares Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 1:43am
if the popular vote mattered, more people would vote, so Al Gore might not have beat W. After all if your state isn't a swing state why vote? That is the reason most people don't vote.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 4:00am
Originally posted by diedonimpact diedonimpact wrote:

BUSH ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! DONT BE A HIPPIE

Yeah, tell 'em!
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 1:39pm
Tae and I have already decided to run together, but I can't remember what year that was.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Tae and I have already decided to run together, but I can't remember what year that was.

That was a while ago.

I am still up for it though.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 2:49pm
We can mess with the moral fabric of society. It'll be great.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

<SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Right, they couldn't win without them in a popular vote system either....the canadates would prolly stick to the capitals but when was the last time a person running for federal office stopped buy your town? (point negated if you live in a big city but you know what I mean...)</SPAN>

Au contraire. Here in Wisconsin we see Mbro's point demonstrated every Presidential election. In 2004, small towns in Wisconsin were visited several time by EACH of Bush, Cheney, Kerry, and whatsisname.

Every Presidential election I have my choice of rallies to attend, within easy walking distance.

Not just Milwaukee, but Madison, Eau Claire, Green Bay, etc.

It's like clockwork, and it would never happen if were on a popular vote.

I deffinatly should have pointed that out. I'd assume that people who feel we should abolish it are in states that are a majority one party and have a differnt opinion than the majority so they feel under-represented. They fail to see the good that it does.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Vote MBro in 2020, a clear vision for the future.

Can I be your Monica?

Edited by Hades - 27 January 2006 at 9:58pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic