Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dry firing question?

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yvillanz View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Guested - Bad Porn

Joined: 11 January 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 47
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yvillanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dry firing question?
    Posted: 19 January 2006 at 8:55pm
does dry firing hurt your gun?
A-5
expansion chamber
RT Trigger
12" SmartParts All American
jj edge barrel kit
20 oz tank & cover
Back to Top
diedonimpact View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 September 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 559
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedonimpact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 8:59pm
no but i wouldnt do it too much and oil your gun properly after your done
Back to Top
piranhakiller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 30 December 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1224
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piranhakiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 9:17pm
Ya it honestly doesn't do much. Other than waste air....or electricity if u have a battery. It is fun to scare ppl with. Like died said make sure to oil afterwards.
~Marker setup~

   2K1 Autococker
Rt Feed
12in Freak
ANS 3-Way
Black Houge Grip
Shocktech Drop Forward

TippmannA5                 
16in J&Jceramic
r/t
2X trigger
Blue Dye c4
Back to Top
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
KRL Reincarnated?

Joined: 27 March 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3063
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by yvillanz yvillanz wrote:

does dry firing hurt your gun?

NOT AT ALL! Don't know where these recommendations to re-oil after dry firing came from. There is no more or less wear and tear on the marker when dry firing than there is when paint is present. Re-oiling is not a bad idea after the action has been cycled (firing dry or wet) several thousand times, but oil is not lost faster from the action because one is dry firing.

Dry firing is good practice to develop a steady hold during cycling of the action. Dry firing can also help you develop smooth trigger manipulation. Dry firing with CO2 may use gas faster than firing paint, just don't fire so fast that CO2 snow begins to blow out of the barrel. The back pressure of a ball in the barrel reduces, slightly, the gas traveling through the marker.

Back to Top
diedonimpact View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 September 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 559
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedonimpact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Originally posted by yvillanz yvillanz wrote:

does dry firing hurt your gun?

NOT AT ALL! Don't know where these recommendations to re-oil after dry firing came from. There is no more or less wear and tear on the marker when dry firing than there is when paint is present. Re-oiling is not a bad idea after the action has been cycled (firing dry or wet) several thousand times, but oil is not lost faster from the action because one is dry firing.

Dry firing is good practice to develop a steady hold during cycling of the action. Dry firing can also help you develop smooth trigger manipulation. Dry firing with CO2 may use gas faster than firing paint, just don't fire so fast that CO2 snow begins to blow out of the barrel. The back pressure of a ball in the barrel reduces, slightly, the gas traveling through the marker.

lol you could have just said no but your answer is cool too

Back to Top
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
KRL Reincarnated?

Joined: 27 March 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3063
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2006 at 5:03pm

Originally posted by diedonimpact diedonimpact wrote:

lol you could have just said no but your answer is cool too

And if someone had said "yes," where would there have been any points to compare to judge validity of either response?

Back to Top
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Retard

Joined: 31 July 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 6:28pm

Originally posted by piranhakiller piranhakiller wrote:

Ya it honestly doesn't do much. Other than waste air....or electricity if u have a battery. It is fun to scare ppl with. Like died said make sure to oil afterwards.

I got a funny story about scaring people by dry firing.  I was using my dads A5 at the local speedball fields and his cyclone wasnt working right.  I was playing a game with a bunch of ppl I know and it didn't count for anything, so this didnt bother me.  My dads A5 has an egrip and flatline, so it sounds like actual machine gun fire.  Half the time I wasn't shooting paint but people were ducking and hiding nonetheless (This is why you always see if paint is actually flying).  Sure, it stunk cause I wasn't shootin anything, but I got some people behind the bunker long enough so my teamates could go bunker them.  Good times.

Back to Top
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
KRL Reincarnated?

Joined: 27 March 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3063
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 6:51pm

Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

I got a funny story about scaring people by dry firing.  I was using my dads A5 at the local speedball fields and his cyclone wasnt working right.  I was playing a game with a bunch of ppl I know and it didn't count for anything, so this didnt bother me.  My dads A5 has an egrip and flatline, so it sounds like actual machine gun fire.  Half the time I wasn't shooting paint but people were ducking and hiding nonetheless (This is why you always see if paint is actually flying).  Sure, it stunk cause I wasn't shootin anything, but I got some people behind the bunker long enough so my teamates could go bunker them.  Good times.

Just goes to show, don't leave the field just because you are out of ammo. Have surrendered a number of people when I was out of paint. My son was out of paint in a game, continued to dry fire and moved up the field. Came around a bunker and yelled for the guy to surrender. The guy said,"You can't surrender me, you are out of paint." He could tell by the different sound of the marker firing without paint. The ref was standing there and said,"yes, he can! You are out!" Man, was that guy ticked!

Back to Top
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Joined: 23 May 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1394
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 12:08am
Well why didnt the guy turn around and shoot you? I thought it was only if you were barrel tagged that you were autamaticaly out. ohh welll. as for dry firing is just wastes gas soo.


Back to Top
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
KRL Reincarnated?

Joined: 27 March 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3063
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 11:57am

Originally posted by ekeboo ekeboo wrote:

Well why didnt the guy turn around and shoot you? I thought it was only if you were barrel tagged that you were autamaticaly out. ohh welll. as for dry firing is just wastes gas soo.

On our speedball field, all classes (beginner, intermediate and rental) must abide by the surrender rule. And on our fields that means that if you come within 10 ft and call for surrender the opponent must surrender. If you fail to surrender or shoot someone inside that 10 ft distance you are pulled and have to sit out a couple of games.

Only in advanced is bunkering (defined as shooting inside the 10 foot distance) allowed. You may still surrender your opponent and if you call for surrender and the opponent shoots at you anyway he may be pulled for a couple of games.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.281 seconds.