Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

accuracy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
triggerfinger91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerfinger91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: accuracy
    Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:03pm
I just got my new 98c.  the gun is all stock.  it is running on CO2 and the paint in using now is the RPS Big ball.  When i first played i noticed that the balls weren't flying staright.  The day was cold and windy but not to windy.  can i get some help on how to fix this problem
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:18pm

Welcome.

First off, what do you mean by "straight"?  Paintball guns are never as accurate as real guns - there will always be accuracy issues.

But if your balls are veering wildly off to the side, you may have broken a ball inside your barrel, which will kill accuracy.  Always carry a squeegee and keep your barrel clean.

If it is just a matter of shooting kind of straight, but not straight enough for your liking, there are many things you can do to improve accuracy.

First, better paint.  Big Ball is mediocre paint at best.  PMI Premium (for instance) will show improvement.

Then, a better barrel.  The stock 98 barrel is not great.  There are variety of aftermarket barrels that will improve performance.

And so on...   welcome to upgrading!

:)

Baratak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Technical Wunderkind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baratak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 9:48pm
If you are always using the same type of paint, whatever it is, go find a barrel to match the paint size, will make a world of difference.

If you are like me and use a lot of different paint, then you get into Pipe Sets, Freak Sets, and other barrel 'sets'. That way you can always have a barrel size to match the paint.

If you plan on using the 98 for a long time and sticking with paintball, the barrel sets are great, though they cost almost as much as the 98 itself.

The scary thing about the upgrade game is you can spend as much on upgrades as you want. There are model 98s, 98Cs and A-5s out there that have as much invested into them a new DM5... no one look at my A-5   

Everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.

MySpace

RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by triggerfinger91 triggerfinger91 wrote:

I just got my new 98c.  the gun is all stock.  it is running on CO2 and the paint in using now is the RPS Big ball.  When i first played i noticed that the balls weren't flying staright.  The day was cold and windy but not to windy.  can i get some help on how to fix this problem

Your stock barrel and paint is the problem.  What are ya angry for? you get what you pay for
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
Tiger Stripe View Drop Down

Strike 2,Troll w/Account:: LERHIT1/21/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Stripe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 4:14am
It could be that there is Dirt/oil/paint/anything on the inside of the barrel.that will affect the accuresy.
<<Sig much too large>>
piranhakiller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piranhakiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 12:52pm

I suggest like baratak said looking into a freak set if you use different types but if you are willing and able to always have the same type look into the flatline. An amazing barrel adding an extra 100ft or so with much more accuracy. 

But like the other guys said balls are a major problem. B/c of their flexibilty or weakness they can go ne which way at high speels like it a bullet was missing a chunk out of it or dented.  I find that if you buy better balls this isn't such a problemm along with fitting your balls o your barrel.

~Marker setup~

2K1 Autococker
Rt Feed
12in Freak
ANS 3-Way
Black Houge Grip
Shocktech Drop Forward

TippmannA5                 
16in J&Jceramic
r/t
2X trigger
Blue Dye c4
Baratak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Technical Wunderkind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baratak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 2:38pm
Flatline is GREAT with the right paint. And if you are mean like me, you can actually use it to shoot AROUND things... tip the gun to the side, and the up force turns it into a consistant curve ball...   

Though if you get stuck with big paint, or brittle paint it can turn ugly.

I can't believe I didn't think of that... I have one for my 98s, and one for my A-5. I also have an Evil Pipe and adapters for both when the flatline isn't working with the paint.
Everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.

MySpace

whack-a-mole View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Member of the "I Have No Life Club"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whack-a-mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 6:16pm

Yeah, first make sure the barrel is clean. Then check the velocity. If the velocity is turned up real high the balls won't shoot straight. If that doesn't work try using a different kind of paint. The bottom line is that for any of the 98 s the first upgrade you want is a new barrel because the stock barrel is pretty awful. As for what barrel, I'd suggest looking into the J&J Ceramic, Lapco Bigshot, Flatline, or like Baratak said look into a barrel set.

side note: CO2 can cause consistancy problems. You may want to look into that in the future.

Edit: I hope that helps. Welcome to the forums.

Edited by whack-a-mole - 20 January 2006 at 6:17pm
NASA and the Americans spent millions of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a pen that would write in space.....The Russians used a pencil.
Mr.Shake56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Shake56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 5:42pm
ball breaks, not good match size, or bad barrel
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 9:39am

Well, let's get some terminology straight first. The paint was visibly curving left, right, up or down? Or, you just couldn't hit your target due to inaccuracy...slight variations away from point of aim?

Wild curving with a occasional spiral curve is contamination in the barrel from a broken ball or oil or some other substance impacting the uniformity of the inside of the barrel.

Inaccuracy, slight variation in the point of impact, is most likely a mismatch of bore diameter and the paintball diameter. It can also be caused by quality of the paint...out of round, high seams, dimples from long storage (WalMart paint?).

Then there is always the wind, no matter how slight you think the breeze it will noticeably push the ball off target. If your paint curves slightly in the same direction shot after shot then there is probably more wind than you think.

RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 4:17pm

your problem is the stock 98c... the barrel is complete crap.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
not2messwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote not2messwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 7:01pm

New barrel - definitely.

Also, don't hold your marker with the barrel tip down while using CO2. The liquid CO2 flows into your marker and can really cause nasty fluctuations in the way the balls fly. The CO2 needs to have a chance to change to a gas form for better consistency.

An expansion chamber helps also. Make a habit of not dropping your muzzle.

Take off the barrel and drop a paintball into it from the back and see what happens. If it drops right through then the balls are too small. You should have to blow the paintball through the barrel with a little force. Then you are closer to the right size balls. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic