Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flatline Accuracy Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MoNkeY Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNkeY Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 5:29pm
 Get a super Chromium barrel!  LOL
warbeak2099 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
So I said, "That is my foot!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbeak2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 6:02pm
If you are looking for accuracy first and foremost, forget the flatline and go for a J&J ceramic. BTW, flat trajectory is a marketing ploy, it's not going to help you any. Even when set up correctly and used in the perfect conditions, a flatline barrel will never have the accuracy of a good quality conventional barrel like the J&J.

In REAL LIFE CONDITIONS, the flatline compares terribly. It does shoot pretty far, but at the extra distances the ball just doesn't stay straight. At shorter distances, it still isn't as good as a high quality, straight barrel. This is due to the spin put on the ball. You have the solid shell spinning and the liquid fill sloshing around inside. Anyone who understands simple physics knows that when force is applied to an object from two different vectors (directions), the object will not go straight. Basically, the ball is going one way and the liquid is going another way. Spin on a paintball = bad for accuracy.

Just find yourself a good quality, conventional barrel. The way to tell if a barrel is good quality is this:

1) First 6-8" has no porting whatsoever
2) First 6-8" has a good quality bore / inner diameter. It should be smooth and have a mirror finish. It should also be perfectly round inside.
3) No longer than 16" or you will lose performance.

If you play light recball, I couldn't reccomend the J&J ceramic enough. If you play a little more seriously, you might want to look into a decent kit for optimizing your accuracy. One of the most important factors in accuracy is paint to bore match.
MIDN 2/C, US Navy

LCE-SpyderMag | G-Force Pneumatic Mag | '99 RF Sniper II
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 6:25pm
I always tell everyone that if you can have only one barrel for a 98, it needs to be a J&J (Bigshot for the A5, but that's off-topic).  Don't get me wrong, I have a F/L and I am very happy with it. I get comparable accuracy to most other after market barrels out to the ranges of the normal barrels plus I get the F/L advantages of being able to provide suppressive fire at ranges others can't touch and using the flat trajectory to engage targets in thick brush that I would otherwise be unable to hit.  However, this comes with a price which includes the following:
  • Cleaning the barrel after every game whether I broke paint or not.
  • Readjusting the barrel and red dot sight at the beginning of every  paintball day.
  • Spending extra money on top quality paint.
  • Flipping any leftover paint every day between paintball days.
Furthermore, the F/L has some quirks that every user needs to be aware of:
  • They are very climate sensitive
    • Breaks increase below 70 degrees.
    • Hard cross/headwinds do ugly things with the backspin.
    • Excess humidity also causes me problems, although I don't know if it is because of condensation swelling of the paintballs.
  • When paint breaks in them you are totally and completely hosed for accuracy until it is thoroughly cleaned.
  • You have to know how to use it.
    • It's not a long range sniper barrel--at the longest range it is much more useful for suppressive fire
    • The F/L has to be installed perfectly straight
      • Any left/right tilt in the installation will cause "curve balls".
      • This needs to be constantly checked--no matter how tightly I put mine on I always end up readjusting it before the next time I play.
    • You must hold the marker perfectly level when firing or you get "curve balls" due to the spin being imparted off-center to the trajectory of the paintball  (sometimes this can be very useful though).
  • It is not a speedball barrel.
Overall, I like it as a woodsball barrel, as long as I have other barrels to choose from when playing in less than ideal conditions such as cold, wind, or excess humidity, which all affect it's performance.  It is not a barrel you can put on your marker once and forget about it, it is rather high maintenance if you want the best performance.  It is definitely not for someone who does not enjoy tinkering with their marker.

Edited Note:  I recommend that anyone considering a F/L purchase try to borrow one for a few games first.  The F/L is one of those items that people either love or hate, which you can probably tell from the input provided in this thread.

Edited by Mack - 17 January 2006 at 6:34pm
warbeak2099 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
So I said, "That is my foot!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbeak2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I always tell everyone that if you can have only one barrel for a 98,
it needs to be a J&J (Bigshot for the A5, but that's
off-topic).  Don't get me wrong, I have a F/LI am very happy with
it. I get comparable accuracy to most other after market barrels out to
the ranges of the normal barrels plus I get the F/L advantages of being
able to provide suppressive fire at ranges others can't touch and using
the flat trajectory to engage targets in thick brush that I would
otherwise be unable to hit.  However, this comes with a price
which includes the following:

• Cleaning the barrel after every game whether I broke paint or not.

• Readjusting the barrel and red dot sight at the beginning of every  paintball day.

• Spending extra money on top quality paint.

• Flipping any leftover paint every day between paintball days.

Furthermore, the F/L has some quirks that every user needs to be aware of:

• They are very climate sensitive

•     
    • Breaks increase below 70 degrees.

•     
    • Hard cross/headwinds do ugly things with the backspin.

•     
    • Excess humidity also causes me problems, although I don't know if it is because of condensation swelling of the paintballs.

• When paint breaks in them you are totally and completely hosed for accuracy until it is thoroughly cleaned.

• You have to know how to use it.

•     
    • It's not a long range sniper barrel--at the longest range it is much more useful for suppressive fire

•     
    • The F/L has to be installed perfectly straight

•     

• Any left/right tilt in the installation will cause "curve balls".

•       
      • This needs to be constantly checked--no matter how tightly I
        put mine on I always end up readjusting it before the next time I play.

•     

• You must hold the marker perfectly level when firing or you get
      "curve balls" due to the spin being imparted off-center to the
      trajectory of the paintball  (sometimes this can be very useful
      though).

• It is not a speedball barrel.

Overall, I like it as a woodsball barrel, as long as I have other
barrels to choose from when playing in less than ideal conditions such
as cold, wind, or excess humidity, which all affect it's
performance.  It is not a barrel you can put on your marker once
and forget about it, it is rather high maintenance if you want the best
performance.  It is definitely not for someone who does not enjoy
tinkering with their marker.

QFT. It is not for making accurate shots. Rather, it's better for suppressing fire.   
MIDN 2/C, US Navy

LCE-SpyderMag | G-Force Pneumatic Mag | '99 RF Sniper II
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by piranhakiller piranhakiller wrote:

True but I know neday I would rather have ppl makin fun of my 16in barrel and then once we do play their the first ones out"by me of course", but the flatline is definatly worth it. Just make sure to get the special squeege for it.
I use a 16" barrel...
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic