Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eldiablo_si View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiablo_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel Question
    Posted: 13 January 2006 at 7:48pm

I know you guys think this is gonna be another which is better thread, but I have a question/statement I would like to make.  I know everyone has always said stay away from GTA barrels.  When I bought my A-5, it was a rather large package deal that included three barrels.  I got the stock one (obviously), a flatline, and a 12" GTA barrel.  I didn't necessarily want the GTA, but I wanted everything else that came in the package so I guess I got the GTA as just a bonus. 

Now to my question/statement:  After reading everyone's bad comments on GTA barrels, I decided to order a Stiffi barrel for $100.  I was expecting a great improvement over the GTA.  Everyone says that the GTA's bore isn't smooth and is basically like the stock barrel, but I find that it is a mirror finish just like my new Stiffi barrel (Stiffi claims one of the smoothest possible bores out there).  Even the feel of the bores is exactly the same.  I was just wondering if maybe I just got a well honed barrel or maybe people just were being a bit baised.

Sorry for the long drawn out thread, I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Army46r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Army46r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 9:44pm
People are often lured into believing that the higher the cost the higher the quality.  This isn't always the case.  My friend likes the GTA too.
HPA
Palmer's Male Stab
Cyclone w/ X7 Loader
32*Remote
J&J S2 Ceramic 14"
Evil Driver 14"
Rocket Cock
Bullet Drop
2X Trigger w/ Stop
Polished Internals
Dye Stickies

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 9:51pm
The GTA is a longer stock barrel that is all. Most stock barrels have a good finish on the inside of them, thise doesn't matter that much. How the barrel looks doesn't matter. Its all about paint to bore match. The stock barrels/GTA barrels are like .697 bore. This is HUGE. A Lapco Bigshot is .689 bore, so which is going to fit your normal mid-sized paint best, thus increasing accuracy? I suggest you do some accuracy testing before claiming that a barrel is good due to its finish.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiablo_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 10:47pm

I have done some accuracy testing.  Extensively as a matter of fact.  I turned a 6 inch flower pot on its' side and could consistantly put them inside of it at like 50 feet.  It seems to be within the same class of accuracy as my Stiffi barrel.  My Stiffi barrel is a .695 and I'm using PMI Slam balls.  Not quite sure what bore size they are, but they fit pretty well.  Once in a while, a ball will manage to just roll through the barrel, but almost all stay in with no problems when I test fit at random.

sneaky_sniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - inappropriate link 01/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneaky_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:07pm
if you where gunna spend $100 you should have gotten a freak kit, the stiffi isnt worth it, carbon fiber barrels are no better then aluminum or composite
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sneaky_sniper/Invader_Zim.jpg">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiablo_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:17pm
Well, I had a thread a few weeks ago asking if the Stiffi was worth it and almost everyone said I should get it. 
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by eldiablo_si eldiablo_si wrote:

I have done some accuracy testing.  Extensively as a matter of fact.  I turned a 6 inch flower pot on its' side and could consistantly put them inside of it at like 50 feet.  It seems to be within the same class of accuracy as my Stiffi barrel.  My Stiffi barrel is a .695 and I'm using PMI Slam balls.  Not quite sure what bore size they are, but they fit pretty well.  Once in a while, a ball will manage to just roll through the barrel, but almost all stay in with no problems when I test fit at random.

A .695 Stiffi is rediculusly huge, it should be .689, or .691 if you dont have multiple barrels. I am calling Shens until you get video bench testing the GTA barrel against multiple one-piece barrels. Personally I dont see the point in wasting money  on the Stiffi, when a Lapco Bigshot gets about the same accuracy, and is $50 less.
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by eldiablo_si eldiablo_si wrote:

How was the gun set up? Did you have it in a vise grip? Was it running regulated HPA? Did you check each balls bore size before firing? Was the shooting indoors where wind ect could not be a factor? Did you try it at longer distances?

It sounds to me like what you did could hardly be considered a test that can prove anything about the barrel. It could at best prove your shooting ability.

Edited by You Wont See Me - 13 January 2006 at 11:47pm
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiablo_si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2006 at 12:12pm

Look guys, I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong.  All that I am saying is that the GTA Barrel isn't as bad as everyone says it is.  Maybe I just got lucky and got one that was made better than others, I don't know.  And when I say extensive testing, I simply mean that I have used it for a more than 5 hours of just shooting around to find the extent of its' accuracy.  It is accurate, but as I said before it's not quite as accurate as the Stiffi barrel.  I'm not trying to start anything, I was just making an observation.  Plus, I understand that the Stiffi isn't any better than any other barrel for half the price, but I wanted the Stiffi barrel and I got it.  It is, after all, my decision on what I buy for my gun.  Good day.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic