Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

STOP BEING SO FREAKING STUBBORN, AMERICA!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
djrock View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Filter Dodge 01/13/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Hitman Hitman wrote:

Almost every country that ever used the english system were smart enough to switch, including england.

All you nay sayers are claiming that America isn't as smart as the rest of the world.

Whatever, the United States has done more than any other country.

Edited by djrock - 10 January 2006 at 8:57pm

It's been changed jackass.
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:58pm
This isn't an argument; it's a chance for me to make fun of dolts like you on both sides of the line.

piranhakiller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piranhakiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:58pm

Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

Originally posted by piranhakiller piranhakiller wrote:

Yes many of us are lazy no doubt but it would not only be easier and Cheaper to stay with the same way. Clark what r we gonna do about speedometers of older cars let laone just ne that dont have KM on them which I know none of mine do..., or thermometers or football fields heck nehting that usings the standard system. Do you honestly have ne idea how expensive and long it would be to change everything....?

Most cars have a smaller kph line running inside the mph line...

Yes I know but many don't, obviously its not going to be expensive to change that but I meanmy school has a $1,000,000 turf field. I dont even want to imagine how expenisve it would be to repaint...And yes I admit that our country is stupid, I mean arent we also the fattest? 

~Marker setup~

2K1 Autococker
Rt Feed
12in Freak
ANS 3-Way
Black Houge Grip
Shocktech Drop Forward

TippmannA5                 
16in J&Jceramic
r/t
2X trigger
Blue Dye c4
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:59pm
They don't have to change EVERYTHING that uses the old system. Like you said about football. Most likely it would stay Yards because that's how it started and changing it would be costly. We could still use the measurement of foot as estimation because 30cm is right about the same length.

If you want to worry about speed limits. 100 km/h is about 62.5 mph. The math is simple. 50 km/h is close to 31.25 mph. 75 km/h is about 46.875 mph. 25 km/h is too slow no matter what road you're on and is close to 16 mph if you're wondering. In your head it would be 60, 45, 30, 15 if you want to keep it as an approximation. There's an allowance of up to 5 mph above the limit so you should be fine.
piranhakiller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piranhakiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:03pm

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

They don't have to change EVERYTHING that uses the old system. Like you said about football. Most likely it would stay Yards because that's how it started and changing it would be costly. We could still use the measurement of foot as estimation because 30cm is right about the same length.

If you want to worry about speed limits. 100 km/h is about 62.5 mph. The math is simple. 50 km/h is close to 31.25 mph. 75 km/h is about 46.875 mph. 25 km/h is too slow no matter what road you're on and is close to 16 mph if you're wondering. In your head it would be 60, 45, 30, 15 if you want to keep it as an approximation. There's an allowance of up to 5 mph above the limit so you should be fine.

Ok disregarding the football what about road signs, and police lasers and radars? Yes I am lazy but what would 65 be? and if it is into decimals what would the limit be? How would they decide? jw...

~Marker setup~

2K1 Autococker
Rt Feed
12in Freak
ANS 3-Way
Black Houge Grip
Shocktech Drop Forward

TippmannA5                 
16in J&Jceramic
r/t
2X trigger
Blue Dye c4
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:03pm
No, way. This would require me to remeasure my joystick.

The first time was tramatic enough.
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by piranhakiller piranhakiller wrote:

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

Ok disregarding the football what about road signs, and police lasers and radars? Yes I am lazy but what would 65 be? and if it is into decimals what would the limit be? How would they decide? jw...

If every other country in the world can figure out their speed limits, I'm sure we can handle it to. We are at the cutting edge of technology, after all.

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:23pm
The speed limits of European nations resemble ours very closely. On highways it's 100 km/h in most places except the autobahn (which has no limit) and on inner-city roads like in Berlin it's around 55 km/h. Again, the speed depends on the road. We would not have some ridiculous limit like 96 km/h just because the road was perviously 60 mph. They'd probably keep it simple and do multiple's of 10 and in some cases 5. There would probably be a 10 km/h allowance. The allowance usually depends on the cop because to them, it's not worth the time to pull someone over who's just barely over the limit.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:28pm

Yes, the transition will be expensive and annoying.  But given that ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES have already made the transition, we should have plenty of models for how to do it well, and we should be able to estimate the cost pretty closely.

But the long-term savings will dwarf the short-term expense.

It is completely IDIOTIC to suggest that we should not switch to a superior system that will save us oodles simply because there is a short-term cost.  Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

djrock View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:31pm
Metric maybe a superior system, but I don't think the government is going to change any time soon. Then again they might.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:33pm

Sadly, I think you are right, and we will not change for a long time yet.

Eventually globalized trade will require it, but that is a ways off yet.  My suspicion is that we may not initially see a government-required change, but simply a gradual change in consumer goods.  Many industrial items are already made to metric specs.

Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Originally posted by Boss_DJ Boss_DJ wrote:

Originally posted by Boss_DJ Boss_DJ wrote:

when you go to certain places for a reason and they don't live up to their expectations people get angry and annoyed...those damn fastfood drive through speakers are already difficult enough to make out what someone is saying but when on top of that when the place throws the one person working with the thickest spanish accent on it...it pisses people off...i don't know how you can
fight that logic...you can guarentee most people will carry their business elsewhere but not to think that people would be SOMEWHAT annoyed because of it is just ridiculous

So they arent even speaking spanish, just with a heavy accent now? Go get a life and come back when you have something worthy of complaining about.
I bet you yell at you Mom for not washing your clothes or making you breakfast.

what the HELL are you talking about

Originally you complained about workers not speaking English, now your complaint [bolded above]is that the worker is speaking English but with a thick accent.

How is that so hard to understand? I am saying if thick accents are enough to get you upset, then you need to get out of you room more. Aslo why dont you get out of your vechile and go inside the establishment and order if drive thru's are too difficult for you to manage.

i never complained about any worker speaking spanish...i said a spanish worker...maybe you should stop trying to be such a stuck up smartass?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 9:37pm
Oh, because that is so much better?
djrock View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:06pm
This topic will probably be closed soon, because it is just
getting so old.

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by djrock djrock wrote:

This topic will probably be closed soon, because it is just
getting so old.

No, because people are bringing up irrelevent issues, like spanish coworkers. This is about the metric system. Let's have some thoughtful arguments here that pertain to the subject.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:15pm
Yeah Boss DJ, your right. Lord know why I had you and DJ rock confused as the same person.

Does DJ rock have any idea how this forum operates? It seems to me that despite his 1k+ posts, he doesnt.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:25pm

^^^^  DOH!  I made the same mistake.  Too many dj's here.

My bad.

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 12:45am

No, way. This would require me to remeasure my joystick.

The first time was tramatic enough.
Yeah but now it's with smaller units. That alone will make it seem huge compared to the older measurement.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
PyROphantasie View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, Flaming 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyROphantasie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 1:46am
the governmens has been trying to switch to metric, but in idiotic small ways, like requiring all cars to show both mph and kph(although yes, very old cars dont have that), and then requiring schools to teach the metric system along with our standard system, but what they really need to to just go all out and do it, turkey used to use the same system, hell they used to speak arabic as well, then they forced the entire country to switch to the metric system AND they created the turkish language, all in 5 years, yes it was a little easier to do it at that time because it was a patriarchal society but the fact is they did it, i realize it would take the US a good deal longer to do this, as it would cost lots of money and take a good deal of time(i'm think'n more like 10-15years minumum based on how slow it takes to get things done in this country)but it just needs to be done, the longer we wait the harder it will be to change
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by PyROphantasie PyROphantasie wrote:

the governmens has been trying to switch to metric, but in idiotic small ways, like requiring all cars to show both mph and kph(although yes, very old cars dont have that), and then requiring schools to teach the metric system along with our standard system, but what they really need to to just go all out and do it, turkey used to use the same system, hell they used to speak arabic as well, then they forced the entire country to switch to the metric system AND they created the turkish language, all in 5 years, yes it was a little easier to do it at that time because it was a patriarchal society but the fact is they did it, i realize it would take the US a good deal longer to do this, as it would cost lots of money and take a good deal of time(i'm think'n more like 10-15years minumum based on how slow it takes to get things done in this country)but it just needs to be done, the longer we wait the harder it will be to change

Sad thing about it though is it took a dictator to do it. That Dictator was Ataturk. He said this is what will happen and I will accept nothing else. Because the U.S. is a Republic, it's harder for a switch like this to happen because of all the voting and stuff that happens.

And Ataturk had a gun built into his cane. That's truly badass. Unless the U.S. a good dictator (not all dictators are bad) that has a gun in his cane, a switch like this will take more than 5 years.

And we didn't speak Arabic. There was "Old Turkish" which used Arabic charactors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic