Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knee Pad Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apexx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knee Pad Advice
    Posted: 27 December 2005 at 9:47pm
Based on reading some previous posts I figured I would pass on any kind of padding.  However, based on previous paintball experience I have decided I want to get knee pads.  Afterall $30 on pads is cheaper than knee surgery.  Does anyone recomend any brands/types of knee pads?  From what I see you can get pads that provided different levels of protection.  It seems however that the heavier pads restrict movement.  Whats your thought
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 9:50pm
I dont wear knee pads. I play front which involves lots of sliding and diving from bunker to bunker, but I need to get from the start to the 50 as fast as possible so I will risk a cut up knee. Plus the chances of there being like a rock to land on in a well maintained field are slim.
benttwig33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Whiner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benttwig33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 9:59pm
Well I lpay front too, And i dont use pads.

Learning to slide properly > 450 pads
Sig is WAY too big.
Large Unit View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not really, but it looks good as a name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Large Unit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 10:07pm

I wear proto pants which have great knee padding, but if you just want a pair of kneepads volleyball pads work great.

SuzukiRider987 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzukiRider987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 10:12pm
Proto pads are good. My friend recently picked up a pair, and seems to love them. And they don't seem to slow him up. And getting knee pads is a great decision, especially if you have bad knees, like me.
   MacDev Militia
   Alien - Because winning is more fun.
Apexx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 10:22pm

Originally posted by SuzukiRider987 SuzukiRider987 wrote:

Proto pads are good. My friend recently picked up a pair, and seems to love them. And they don't seem to slow him up. And getting knee pads is a great decision, especially if you have bad knees, like me.

Thanks Suzuki...I take thing with a grain of salt on forums like this becuase most members are fairly young and on their parents insurance policies still.  I'm not old by any stretch (27) but I do pay my own bills and know what a total knee replacement costs and feels like (friend).  Ever seen a knee cap pushed around to the back side of a knee?  Thanks for the recommendation..

Large Unit View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not really, but it looks good as a name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Large Unit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 10:35pm
proto pads are volleyball pads with a proto symbol on them, if you want to pay the extra $ so the kneepads your wearing under your clothes look cool go for it.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 12:40am
I'm over 40 and play woodsball exclusively.  Since I have bad knees I use a set of green gardening kneepads from Wal-Mart.  I added a camo pattern with a black marker just for kicks.  They wouldn't be any good for sliding, but are perfect for kneeling or crawling.  Additionally, they're soft enough that a hit on them is not a guaranteed break.  I've found that they need to be replaced about every two years though as they do tend to wear out.  On the other hand, I'm glad that inch of twig that penetrated the pad when I ducked and covered wasn't in my knee.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 1:37am

It depends on the surface where you play, how seriously you take your play, and personal comfort.

I know many people that play with hard tactical pads that go over the pants.  Maximum protection, but also guaranteed to break every ball that hits them.  Comfort is mixed.

I wear soft tactical inserts in my fatigues.  Minimal protection, maximum comfort.  Many speedball pants also come with built-in similar pads.

The tweener is under-the-pants soft pads.  You can buy "official" paintball pads (and pay extra), and they are generally quite comfortable for long periods of kneeling.  If you don't plan on kneeling so much (on hard surfaces anyway), you might get buy with soft volleyball pads.  They will save the front of your knees, but can pinch the back of the knees after extended kneeling.

Definitely not a one size fits all proposition.

^Pirate^ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 1:41am
I made a pair of pants, that resemble football pants, and then I wear a girdle with thigh/hip pads in it, and then the kneepads are in the pants anyways, I got my pads from Sports Authority.

It aint about black or white
becuz we human
I hope we see the light before it's ruined
My ghetto gospel
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 12:10pm

I play aggressively and my knees get beat to hell. Fortunetly I'm only 160 lbs so I haven't blown out my knees yet. I myself, after many years of play, am thinking about getting pads since I spend so much time slamming down onto my knees behind bunkers/trees in games.

I thought about paintball pants but don't want to loose my cool camo. I wonder if I could stich some pads onto the outside of my BDU pants? Those of you who own paintball pant, how do fasten, is it like motorcycle clothes with plates between fabric? I don't like how skating pads pinch around your leg to hold on.

Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 12:46pm
I used to never wear knee padding, until we started wearing Diablo 13's.  Great unis, except for the knee padding, it tends to be too low unless you are 9 feet tall.  After trying out a few different brands, my favorites have been, without a single doubt in my mind, the Angel Airtimes. It's like having clouds around your knees/elbows, and they cost about the same as Redz.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Apexx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 1:15pm
What about the knee pads that Special Forces uses??  In the context of Woods Ball it would seem these would be appropriate...
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 1:53pm

Originally posted by Apexx Apexx wrote:

What about the knee pads that Special Forces uses??  In the context of Woods Ball it would seem these would be appropriate...

If you play mil-sim woodsball...

I would think you want soft knee pads so that when they get hit by a ball there is a chance that it will bounce off instead of break. If you went out with some riot gear knee pads not only would your mobility be limited but also every ball that hit them would mark you. Other then that, something like these would be good: http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s .tam?xax=31932&M5COPY%2Ectx=28847&M5%2Ectx=3587& M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Tactical%20Protective%20Gear&level3%2Ect x=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=knee%20pads&backto=%2**edited** catalog%2Fresults%2Etam

Edited by Nickodemus
Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2005 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Nickodemus Nickodemus wrote:

I thought about paintball pants but don't want to loose my cool camo. I wonder if I could stich some pads onto the outside of my BDU pants? Those of you who own paintball pant, how do fasten, is it like motorcycle clothes with plates between fabric? I don't like how skating pads pinch around your leg to hold on.

If you're using surplus military BDUs, then they probably have the double panel sewn in the knee to strengthen it.  I know a guy who had his wife open up the top of the panel and replace the stitches with velcro so he could insert some thin removable knee pads that he made from some type of foam.
Apexx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2005 at 4:34pm
Thanks guys..I got the basic volleyball pads that come with hardend foam in them.  I put them on in the store and was running an hitting my knees on the concrete floor to test them.  They are small enough they dont limit my motion but large enough to give my knee good coverage.  Best of all they fit easily under my pants and cost $5.99..For woods ball how could you go wrong??
eliminator View Drop Down
Drinks from the Toilet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eliminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2005 at 4:39pm
i have a pair of bmx vert knee pads, they resemble thos of the hard tatical ones. they are asowome great for sliding, no pain what so ever if u fall on hard/ sharp rocks, i recomend these
__||__
[        }------ =() =()
//'   ||
R THOSE MY BALLS ON UR FACE
DarkSideEchoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkSideEchoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2005 at 5:29pm
Go to Toys R' Us and get some Rollerblade kneepads.  They have a solid structure.  They're awesome to say the least.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic