Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M98 upgrades, Gun has been in mothballs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gmoney46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmoney46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M98 upgrades, Gun has been in mothballs
    Posted: 24 December 2005 at 8:54pm

Hi,

I'm ready to get back into the sport.  I have a M98 that is completely stock.  It's six years old.

1. I would like to get a new barrel (any thoughts?)

2. What's the difference between an expansion chamber and a Low press. kit?

3. Can I get the R/T ?

4. is it ok to still use c02 or do i need to upgrade to nitro, etc?

Thanks for your time

-G

SuzukiRider987 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzukiRider987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by gmoney46 gmoney46 wrote:

Hi,

I'm ready to get back into the sport.  I have a M98 that is completely stock.  It's six years old.

1. I would like to get a new barrel (any thoughts?) A barrel is a great place to start upgrading. For a cheap, yet very effective barrel, I'd suggest the J&J Ceramic.

2. What's the difference between an expansion chamber and a Low press. kit? An Expansion-Chamber (X-Chamber for short) is made to be used with CO2. It allow time for the liquid CO2 to expand itno a gas form. Thus making your CO2 running gun a lot more consistent, and it will also help prevent velocity spikes.

A LPK is completely different. It is a kit (with many different parts) that allows you to lower your 98's operating pressure. That's why they call it the "Low Pressure" Kit. Now with the LPK, you'll need a secondary regulator, which regulates the pressure going into your gun. You can use it with an X-Chamber, but it's really pointless, becuase you can't adjust the pressure going into your gun, so you aren't utalizing what the LPK is built for. Unlike a Regulator, which you can adjust, so that you can lower the operating pressure of your gun.

So for now, I suggest that you stick with CO2, and just get an X-Chamber.

3. Can I get the R/T ?  In order to fit the R/T into a M98, it will take some modification. Like milling the grip frame, and also making a hole(s) in the recievers, so that you can attach the fittings to go to the R/T. Tippmann use to do it for a small fee, but I don't know if they do now (call them and ask?)

4. is it ok to still use c02 or do i need to upgrade to nitro, etc?  Like said above, I suggest that you stick with CO2, and get an X-Chamber. And if you do get an R/T (and do the appropriate mods/ send it in to enable it to fit), you can still use CO2 with the R/T.

Thanks for your time No problem, and I hope I helped.

-G

MacDev Militia
   Alien - Because winning is more fun.
Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 10:15pm
^^^

Co2 will work fine, Nitro is unnecesary for a tippmann. everyone says (correctly) that they work fine on Co2. I outshot a gravity feed hopper (granted that doesnt take much) on a stock CPro and the gun never froze up once. Also, no velocity spikes. Tippmanns are built to be simple and easy, and Co2 is the perfect way to maintain those 2 values.
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic