Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Paintball Team Guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mr. Spiffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Paintball Team Guide
    Posted: 12 December 2005 at 7:04pm
I posted this responce in another thread and felt that since there's been (and has been consistantly in the past) talk of how to best start and manage a team, that there should be one thread devoted to the different aspects of making a team. I invite people who have had or are still in team situations to contribute something explaining what went right, what went wrong, or what you and your teammates do to keep going. I hope this catches on and gets stickied...

Edited by Mr. Spiffy
Missing: 2nd star and 960+ posts to my name.
-Another victim of the system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 7:06pm
My old post:

My grandfather, an engineer, gave me a great little acronym to follow by in life's various projects. Its KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid(!). I think that's the best way for you to go. I'd reeeeeeeeeeeeaally strongly reccomend not worrying about markers... especially Angels. Many other markers will do the job for you and won't be sucking $1000+ out of your pockets.

The basics that I've learned the hard way go as thus (and may be repetitions of previous posts):

1. Decide your teams goals.
Before you embark into paintball teamhood, you must make sure you know what kinds of games you want to participate in. Speedball and woodsball are the two basic types. Rec will give you a test of both. When you begin playing with future founders and members of your team, be sure to identify the type of gameplay you WANT to do.

2. Find loyal players.
Many people are initially focused and committed to making a real team. However, as time and obligations begin to take precedence, there may not many members of your team left to join in for practice, play, or even a few tourneys. You want to find people that can compliment yourself. Having members with more experience to guide you through your early stages is really helpful. An experienced player can identify how you need to improve your game, what exercises you might want to do off the field, and even give you connections with other people that come in handy much later. Once you have people who come back again and again, then start talking about serious membership. Its a commitment... you want people to stick around.

3. In the beginning, equipment should be practical.
For now, take those tippmanns (or whatever you prefer...) and have fun using them. Make sure to search the whole spectrum. Renting different guns is one of the best ways to discover the marker for you... sometimes borrowing is better. You might find asking the people at the proshop or veteran players about the inner-workings of the different markers you use. If someone will take the time to show you how to take care of some of these markers, take the opportunity. A gunsmith at the basic levels and local tourneys really shouldn't be a priority. You're basic and intermediate needs should be addressed by you and each of your teammates. The best maintained and functioning guns are owned by those who can do their own repairs. You'll save a lot of money, time, and unexpected marker failures on the field this way!!!

4. Get group rates as soon as possible.
Once a group is established and you find that this field is your place of choice, make sure to sign up early for a team. They don't care whether you play tourneys (unless they sponsor you, and that's usually a rare thing so early on); they just want you to give them money for the field. The discount deals will usually be given to returning customers. You assure them biz, they give you less expensive rates. This will keep you playing and keep players from dropping out due to cost. It's always a good deal...

5. Find local businesses to sponsor you.
If you're team members have good relations with local business owners or you're doing well in tourneys, consider going outside the paintball world to get some team cash. In return, they want to see some adverising of their store and whatever wares or services they provide... so you've got to be at tourneys and you've got to do well in them!

6. Overall, just get a rep in your local paintball world.
You want to play well and you want a good rep with the players you compete with in competition and also in rec. A website and simple posters will also go a long way. Make sure to build your team off the principles of the game. In the most basic sense of the word, you are an athelete. Good sportsmanship and winning/losing attitude will always be remembered on the field as easily as a cocky and inconsiderate one. A good rep with other players will draw people to you serious about the sport. There's nothing wrong with bringing in new players who are willing and ready. Bad reps will discourage other 'ballers from bringing you into the paintball community. Of course, there will be cases where attitude will win 'em over and other times when it won't make a bit of differece. When you stress the fun of the game, the whole team will be happier and they'll show it in how they play and in the times they show.

If you try to take a little time to let it grow and evolve naturally, you may discover your team taking off faster than you expected. The general idea is that starting and maintaining teams can be very difficult. These steps are the best I know of to ensuring that you will get the right people, the right gear, and hopefully, the most amount of monetary support for your team.

This is another thread I started to look at some of the strategies employed by teams in paintball:Tactics

Edited by Mr. Spiffy
Whazuuup! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Non-believer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whazuuup! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 7:50pm
Well it's not gonna get sticked, but is probably worthy of the Uber-Faq.

Oh and your first paragraph and sentence are up there twice.

And about teams, I say your #2 is the most important. Just because somebody is an excellent player does not mean they are going to show up for practice and tourneys. It doesn't mean they will play fair, or pay for their share.
You need to find people who can play well and improve, but also people who you can communicate with and who are reliable and responsible.
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 8:39pm
Maybee add something about keeping it fun and dont let "politics" creep in.

Good advice though, thanks.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 8:57pm
That's what the 6th point is all about. But, this advice is for finding people that share purpose and motivation even if those people disagree with our own views of the beliefs that should be behind teams. However, I personally believe that showing respect and sportsmanship helps a great deal when making connections with players than may one day become a member of a team.
pbdude985 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet! Dude! Sweet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbdude985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 9:28pm
wow really good post Spiffy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 10:32pm
Thanks pb... I'm hoping that if any of you have some well written thoughts you'd like to put on here, we good have a really thorough collection. Testimonies of team experience would also be a really cool thing to have on here.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 7:33am
I think I am going to sticky this for a limited amount of time. Theres always a ton of questions asked about forming teams, this might help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 12:54pm
Thanks reb... I'll at least save the link for those interested. And, again, I invite anyone who has advice, wisdom, or experience with teams to put their thoughts and suggestions on this thread. Let's see if we can't keep this going ...
quackshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quackshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 4:18pm

THIS IS A FANTASTIC POST PROB A STUPID QUESTION BUT WHY WASNT IT DONE OR STARTED BEFOR? BUT ITS A REALLY GOOD IDEA I MY SELF WILL BENEFIT FROM THIS AS IM A NEW BEGINER TO THE EXCELENT WORLD OF PAINT BALLING.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND INPUT FOR US NEW USERS

QuackShot dead eye duck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 4:41pm
I'm sure it's been done before, but this forum has been updated a number of times by now. In the process, many thread have to be deleted so they can improve the site. This may just be another post to serve the purpose of a much much older one.
quackshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quackshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 5:32pm
YOUR PRB RITE BUT STILL EVEN IF THE SIT HAS TO BE UPDATED SURLY THIS TREAD SHOULD BE GIVEN A PERMANANT PLACE OR LINK SO IN STEAD OF 5 PEOPLE STARTING A HOW DO START A TEAM THEAD THEY HAVE 1 PLACE WHERE THEY CAN GET THEIR Q ANS As AND ALL OF THEIR INFO AND WHERE THE MORE EXPERIENCED PLAYERS CAN ADD AND PASS ON THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCES SEE WHERE IM COMING FROM
QuackShot dead eye duck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 5:38pm
That would be to our all-mighty forum Gods: the mods and administrator.
quackshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quackshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 7:06pm
ok almighty fourm gods u regulate and watch and read wots being said lets have a responce
QuackShot dead eye duck
The American View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
MMM-HMMM!! I LIKE TH’ WAY YOU TALK!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 5:05pm
When choosing people to play on your team, choose people that have a good personality, people that you get a long with.  Don't just take someone because they are really good.  You want to have team chemistry, and if there is one person thats causing problems, your team won't last long.

Another thing, which is kind of sad, is that make sure the people that are on your team can afford to play every week.  You need to practice every week, and you need everyone there.  Unfortunatly the costs of paintball probably stops a lot of potentially good players from staying in the game.  But thats the way it goes.

Never cheat.  If anyone on your team is seen whipping, or any other kind of cheating, your reputation will be ruinned.  Other teams won't want to practice with you, and fields/business's won't want to sponsor cheaters.

Always have a good attitude when at the field.  Don't have your team showing up to the field cussing, and carrying on.  It looks bad, especially when there may be parents/younger kids there.  Plus you just sound stupid anyways.   Be respectful to everyone there, and clean up any trash from you.  Also, helping out around the field can go a long way, possibly getting you a field sponsorship later on down the road.  But I wouldn't worry about sponsorship too soon.

Only after you play in several tournaments, and place well (top 3 or so) would I suggest asking for sponsorships.  Sponsors want to see that their name will be seen by lots of people, and that you've proven to be a good team.  Once again, reputation goes a long way here.  When asking for sponsorships, be professional.  Don't just talk about what you want from them, but also what the team can do for the sponsor.  There are lots of guides just on sponsorships that you can find on the web.

Good communication between teammates is very important.  And by communication, I don't mean while playing.  Off the field, stay in touch with everyone.  If there are any team discussions, be sure everyone is involved(unless its between team captains).  If a player can't make it to practice, be sure that they let one of the captains know.  Don't make promises you can't keep.  If the team can't do these simple things, you might see your trust between teammates slip away.  The team I used to be on was terrible when it came to things like this, which is why I left. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 5:18pm
Thanks American, some nice detail stuff and team etiquette is always important to consider. I'm sure there must be other people who have something else to add or even something I should update in my post. However, if you reccomend an update to my post, PM with what you want added and I'll paste it into my article with your name attached. THanks again!!!
RavenGuard View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RavenGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 4:15pm
Once a good team is established with people you can trust, and relatively good players with some know-how in the sport, it comes in very handy (especially if your the team leader) to practice not only playing basic paintball, but using drills, and several random self-made gametypes or modifications to the rules to encourage growth in a certain respect.  A simple example would be to use a shooting range.  It doesn't matter if you fire at targets or cans, the point is it will help the team in accuracy and concentration.  The more they are encouraged to aim for a hit on their first shot, the better for everyone.  I would much rather play woodsball, but the horrible misconception about paintball is that many don't feel the need to put much into target practice when your game is speedball.  Even in a head to head face off, taking time to understand how your marker works and how to aim it skillfull will help, due to the fact that you may take 1-3 shots to mark an opponent, while they spend 40.  Even if you are out aswell, you know you won the battle, and saved your team some money on paint.  Walking the trigger may be hard, and require "skill," (or as I like to call it, L33T xbox trigger skills ), but it's an obvious fact that ANYBODY can fire 100 balls in the general direction of a target and hit several times.  Doing shooting range drills will not only help your team with concentration and accuracy, but also help them understand when to take the shot, ie. understanding the difference between thinking you can hit the target, and knowing, and making the quick decision to take the shot or not.  This would also be helpful to each individual team member and help them understand their own markers better.  The'll be more understanding of the range they can accurately hit a target at, see about how random the balls are fired (basically understand the margin of error) and basically let them put their guns to the limit off the field--which is more important to a novice player... if you have no skill off the field, how can anyone expect it to be different when you're on one?--by practising your trigger walking, learning to hold your response trigger, etc.  It is important for each player to be able to use these skills like they are second nature, or they will find it rough when they're on the field and pumped with adrenaline.
Tippmann A-5
Polished Internals
E-Grip
Ape Board
JCS Blade Trigger
QEV
8" Bigshot + Apex
Ricochet R-5 / Tac Cap
Palmers Stabilizer
68/4500 Crossfire
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 5:12am
Make sure that after you assemble your team, to be sure one of your teammates makes a thread on this forum to ask for help thinking of a team name. The only rule that goes with that is your team has to use one of the suggested names.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 12:23pm
Thanks for some more posting guys! If you find any good threads that relate to this one about something this thread did not cover, make sure to post the link to it.

tippyfan302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippyfan302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 9:52am
i want to thank you all me and a few buddys are going to start a team in our little town and this will really help
tippy all the way
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic