FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marijuana is bad for you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marijuana is bad for you.
    Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:17pm

NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:18pm
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:18pm
Terrible substance.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:18pm
drugs r bad mmm'kay?
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:20pm
So whos gonna defend the pesky weed? Im actualy waitin for a rebuttle.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:21pm

pb125 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

drugs r bad mmm'kay?
Mr.Shake56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Shake56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:24pm

does that mean if sum1 eating all those foods there doing that stuff

ANARCHY_SCOUT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 1/24 rudeness to newer members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANARCHY_SCOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:25pm
LIES! haha yea dont do drugs.
Gamertag: Kataklysm999
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:27pm

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system(6) and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine(7). Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

____

One study has indicated that a user’s risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana(8). The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana’s effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

_________

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers(9). Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Even infrequent use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways(10). Smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase(11). A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Marijuana use also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens(12, 13). In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke(14). It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells(15). Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may increase the risk of cancer more than smoking tobacco.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:28pm
For the record, DARE programs are not successful in preventing at risk youth from taking drug. Every study ever to have been done on the program has proven this.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:28pm
Await my response tomorrow.
At the moment I have too much homework and sleep to do.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:29pm
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:32pm

Edited by Hitman
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:34pm

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Await my response tomorrow.
At the moment I have too much homework and sleep to do.

Your sig is wrong.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:he8o1vkj zzha~T00

A bunch of little kids sang that song. Almost a decade after Bob Marley died.

Edited by Tae Kwon Do

xteam View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:36pm
ha
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Await my response tomorrow. At the moment I have too much homework and sleep to do.

Your sig is wrong.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:he8o1vkj zzha~T00

A bunch of little kids sang that song. Almost 2 decades after Bob Marley died.

pwnt.
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 10:38pm
Yay another anti-marijuana thread. I think alcohol is 10x better....
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 11:04pm
Sorry, but I can't resist.
I read the articles, and they are so ridiculously easy to rebut that I'm going to do it today instead of tomorrow.

Article 1:
This article really does not say much about negative effects of marijuana use. It states that during periods of heavy use, the user's IQ may drop by an average of several points. However, it also says that this is ONLY during the time of heavy use, and that the user's IQ usually returns after ceasing use.

Paragraph 1:
BS. I'd like to see the sources.
I can guarantee you that I do more research (and I mean reading) on this topic than you do. I have read several articles which state that dopamine is not produced as a result of marijuana use.
Also, I have personally been a VERY heavy user of marijuana (their definition is 5 joints... I smoked at least 30 a week). That took place for almost a year, and the worst withdrawal symptom I got was mild annoyance at not being able to smoke weed (which I attribute to my anger at weed being illegal more than anything).

Paragraph 2:
Well then... Don't use marijuana if you're at high risk for a heart attack. Problem solved.
Cigarettes don't exactly reduce the risk of a heart attack, but we don't throw people in jail for smoking them.

Paragraph 3:
If you eat marijuana or use a vaporizer, none of the negative effects of smoking will be a problem.
The main reason people don't eat or vaporize is the price.
I don't want to put $100 worth of weed into some brownies to get the desired effect, and I don't want a $500 vaporizer confiscated.
I can guarantee that if it were legal, more people would have vaporizers, and if the price were lower more people would eat it.
That paragraph also doesn't mention the fact that THC is actually a carcinogen blocker .

Got anything else?

*Edit: Dang. My rebuts to Articles 2 & 3 got deleted somehow. Give me a minute to retype them.

Edited by Bunkered
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 11:06pm
Well Whale...
It sure as hell isn't a little kid in the version I'm listening to.
Maybe it's not Marley (it sure sounds like him), but it's an adult male.

There are kids in the song too though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic