Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel tests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
<Stealthy> View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote <Stealthy> Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel tests
    Posted: 29 November 2005 at 11:30pm
Does anyone know of any websites that has photos or information about barrel grouping tests? ive been looking at a lot of barrels and am tired of hearing everybody say something diff but no prof. If anyone can help id highly appreciate it thanks.
-Tippman 98c
-Lapco Bigshot 14"
-Flatline
-Palmer Stablizer (male)
-Dead On dropforward
-Hyperstar bolt
-Red dot sight
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 8:27am
There are too many variables to have any kind of accurate test on paper (or screen). Velocities, gun consistancy, paint size (biggie), etc.

There were test sites that had results back in the day... but I didn't find them trustworthy.

With so many choices, and so many opinions... it's hard to choose a barrel sometimes. Just gotta pick one... or if you have the money, two (or if you're stupid like me, twenty)
Know that in the end, with the exception of some that are fairly bad... performance differences between the different barrel choices will be slight. So long as they have a good smooth bore, and you shoot paint that matches to a certain extent (doesn't have to be perfect), it should perform well for you.

Just as an example, I have owned or still own the following (some in multiples):

J&J Ceramic 14"
J&J Brass 10"
J&J Hardchrome straight-rifled 10"
Lapco Bigshot 7.5", 11.5", 14"
Lapco Autospirit 11.5"
Smart Parts All American 12", 14", 16"
Smart Parts Tear Drop All American (aka Big Daddy) 14"
Smart Parts Tear Drop
Smart Parts Freak Set Aluminum 1",10",14" fronts
Carbon Fiber (stainless back) 14"
DYE Stainless 12"
DYE xCel 12"
DYE Aluminum 14"
DYE Boomstick 12", 14"
PMI Ceramik 12", 14"
ACI Zero Gravity 11.5"
Tippmann Flatline (98)
and probably a few more that I'm forgetting at this time.

All in all... my personal recommendations, based on experience with the above are such:

If you shoot small-medium bore paint, and want something quieter than the stock barrel:
J&J Ceramic. 12" length will be fine, 14" at the longest. Nice ability to "shoot itself clean" as well.

Slightly more accurate, louder than the Ceramic but quieter than stock... Lapco series.
Bigshot for medium bore paint.
Autospirit for small bore paint.

These are the two barrel types I use the most. All of my other barrels sit in padded barrel bags collecting dust. I own Lapcos for every gun type I own except for my pumps, and they see the most use of all. My very first barrel I ever bought was a J&J Ceramic, and I have since used them with just about every gun type I own, including my pumps.
They're cheap... but don't let that fool you. They work just as well or better than barrels that cost two or three times as much.

Just my opinion, and no true test for grouping... aside from experience and a short test I did using a chronograph in my backyard back in '01.

Edited by ShortyBP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic