Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A5- Air Hog Nitro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dennis_NL View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Language 12/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis_NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A5- Air Hog Nitro
    Posted: 29 November 2005 at 6:06am
My current setup:
A5 marker
Technical upgrades:
- flatline barrel
- RT with double trigger
- Low Pressure kit wit WDP Regulator
- 47ci 3000psi High pressure preset

My problem:
I'm getting about 400 shots on a full fill (topped of at 2999psi)

What i've done so far:
- Replacing all o-rings ...nothing
- Testing for leakage  ...nothing
- removing RT   ...slight improvement
- Opening up cyclone ..looks perfect!
- Switching barrel  ...slight improvement
- Pulling out almost all my hair.. improved my looks!

What i still have to try
- Screwing in a 4500psi carbo 450psi preset

i think about to go nuts here.. can anyone help me??

Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 9:52am

You need a bigger tank.  400 shots from a 47/3000 is about right.

I wouldn't get anything less than a 68/4500, which should get you about 800-900+ shots.  You do want the high output tank, though - low output will reduce your consistency.

To actually improve your efficiency, however, your best upgrade is an RVA or a lighter drive spring.  Even with the LPK, the drive spring is usually unnecessarily strong, which wastes gas.  With the RT, however, your benefit from corrected spring pressure is limited (since you need a certain amount of waste to run the Cyclone/RT).

Welcome to the forum.

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 1:16pm

Originally posted by Dennis_NL Dennis_NL wrote:

My current setup:
A5 marker
Technical upgrades:
- flatline barrel
- RT with double trigger
- Low Pressure kit wit WDP Regulator
- 47ci 3000psi High pressure preset

My problem:
I'm getting about 400 shots on a full fill (topped of at 2999psi)

What i've done so far:
- Replacing all o-rings ...nothing
- Testing for leakage  ...nothing
- removing RT   ...slight improvement
- Opening up cyclone ..looks perfect!
- Switching barrel  ...slight improvement
- Pulling out almost all my hair.. improved my looks!

What i still have to try
- Screwing in a 4500psi carbo 450psi preset

i think about to go nuts here.. can anyone help me??

Rambino is correct, you are getting about the correct number of shots for that somewhat small 3K tank. Also, though I love the barrel, a Flatline barrel allows a lot of blow-by due to the fact that the ball has to roll against the top of the curve to develop the proper backspin. This means there is  bit of a gap on the underside of the ball through which gas escapes. There isn't much fix for that "wasted" gas because the paint cannot fit tight and function in a Flatline.

This phenomenon is demonstrated when using ordinary straight barrels. Set the velocity over a chrono with paint sized to fit the bore closely. Then switch to a smaller paintball and you will find that you have to open up the gas control screw to get velocity back up to the same level.

Loose fitting paint requires more gas to get up to desired velocity than does close fitting paint. I am now using a barrel with exactly the same bore diameter as the paint I am using. I am getting about 1/4 more shots with this tight match up than I did when shooting smaller paint in the same barrel.

With the Flatline my suggestion would to upgrade to at least a 68/4500 cylinder to get reasonable longevity from each trip to the field gas shack.

BTW, my set up is similar:

It's a 98C but the mechanics of the marker is the same.

LPK using a Palmer Stabilizer at the secondary regulator. But I am running a 90 cid 4500 psi tank.

Note that, at my regular field, it is seldom that I can get a fill that is above about 3200 psi, so the larger cid is the advantage that keeps me on the field for more games before a refill.  

Another BTW, I also have a 47/3000 tank that I tried to use because it is so compact. I was having to refill after every 2 speedball games when using my Flatline.       

Edited by Bruce A. Frank
Dennis_NL View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Language 12/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis_NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 4:33pm
thanks guys (and thanks for the proper welcoming)..
i'm upgrading to a 1.1 liter STAKO bottle early next year..

with the games i'm currently playing i don't even have enough air to finish one game... (teamplay.. suppressive fire.. u know the drill)

we have 5000psi air on site, so filling to 3k isn't a problem for me.. fortunately..
as far as the chrono is concerned.. i'm shooting very consistent.. 290 +/- 3 fps..
gajotnt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gajotnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 3:15pm
Hello im thinkinh about a HPA setup about just the same has Dennis_NL, the only diference is ill be using a 850psi preset because my A-5 is all stock do you think ill be getting the same amont of shots that Dennis has, or less? im thinking since my preset has a higher output pressure it will eat more air than a low pressure preset and so will end up firing less shots,but thats just me thinking maybe im wrong 
Dennis_NL View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Language 12/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis_NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 4:02pm
The avarage number of shots from a 47ci, 3k psi bottle, with a regulator set at 850psi (HP) is about 450 shots on a standard A5 (as can be found on the website)  ...after adding all my mods, i got terrible air efficiency don't exactly know what.. because i immidiately bought the LPK.. now i'm at 400 shots.. which is normal, as said above..
you'll probably be getting the 450 shots from a fill...

i'd be going for the bigger tank (as i am) so can at least finish your game.. it totally sucks to have to walk out half-way into a game...

STAKO is probably a bit to much.. but the 67ci 4500psi bottles aint that expensive..
gajotnt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gajotnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 4:25pm
where i play we usaly play 40 minute games,só about some 5 to 6 games per day and i never shot more than 400 paintball, so i guess im ok,and a i have a friend with a scuba tank so in case of runing out of air we can fill it up
waspfarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waspfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2005 at 5:28am

I have three A-5's.  Two stock and one with a flatline and CAR stock(fiddled).  In the real world of woods, stock A-5 performs as well as expensive mods (surprize and spray the target at close range, then MOVE to protect position).  The human brain is the real difference, and communication between the brains is key.  Don't bother spending money on hype!!  Concentrate on opperating on crossing fields of fire with a buddy or two!  Your stock guns are all fine for this!  I should think that "angles of fire" works with any other shooting game.  There's power in numbers and crossfire angles.

Don't waste your money, your stock setup is lethal.  Keep your weapon clean and oiled.

waspfarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waspfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2005 at 5:49am
I know that didn't answer your qustion, but 400 rounds on 3000psi/47 isn't terrible.  I think it's the "low pressure kit".  sorry man.
Dennis_NL View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Language 12/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis_NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 8:56am
the low pressure kit was installed to improve air efficiency...

...just pre-ordered my stako bottle :D :D :D

protomatrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protomatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2005 at 3:51pm
tippmanns and small nitro tanks dont mix. wen i got my friend nitro tank wen i used my a5 it was a 3000psi 48 ci tank. i got like 250 shots from it. its all because tippmanns have no regulators or lprs meaning they suck gas like crazy. just get a bigger tank. i have a 91/4500 now and i got like 900 shots per tank. but now of course i got my proto and im stuck with an enormously ugly tank....
05 proto
deadon on/off drop
halo B
Dennis_NL View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Language 12/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis_NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 12:44pm

well.. sell the huge b***h and buy a stako :D

<strike for you - please check the language rules>

Edited by Rambino
Crazystick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazystick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 11:09pm
So .. rough estimate. I have a 68-4500 crosffire tank. No LPK as of yet. How many shots am I to expect.???
DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 11:11pm
my tippy gets around 600 from a 47/3k :/ 

rofl @ 900 shots from a 91/45 LMAO

Edited by DsXz - 21 July 2006 at 11:13pm
NJnets5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJnets5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 11:13pm
y did u bump this thread when it is a year old
Tippmann 98 Custom
-Response Trigger
-Double Trigger
-32 Degrees NightStick Barrel
-Pen Spring Mod
-Straw Mod
-Polished Internals
-Co2
-18 bps

"You are unique...just like everyone else"
DsXz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 3 strikes 10/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DsXz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 11:14pm
BAD CRAZYSTICK, BAD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic