Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Custom 98 is Chopping Balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Northern Pike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Pike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Custom 98 is Chopping Balls
    Posted: 10 November 2005 at 8:30am
I have a Custom 98, with a Tippmann Flatline, Cyclone feeder and new rings. Why does the gun continue to break balls??
I use Marbalizer paintballs, good paint,so upgrading balls is not the answer. It has happened from day one just about.

The ball is chopped in the chamber not broken in the barrell. I have adjusted the velocity screw hundreds of times.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Edited by Northern Pike
>><< View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
<<>>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote >><< Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 8:47pm
Sounds like you installed the cyclone wrong take it to s proshop and have them look at it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Pike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 7:42am
I bought the cyclone feeder to hopefully correct the problem. It has not changed anything.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 7:46am
You most likely installed the flatline or cyclone wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Pike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 7:50am
I followed the instructions to a T.
Again this problem existed before the FlatLine also. I guess I forgot to mention it.

Would something be catching in the chamber, spur, I do notice the power tube hitting & srapping the extention for the Flat Line. Maybe polishing the surface would help?
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 7:58am
there could be a spur in the inside of the chamber. But that is unlikely. take it to the proshop and see what they think.
FireStrorm89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireStrorm89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 10:24pm
This is the exact same problem I am having, I see you are from Canada. I am from New York. So heres how it goes, in the summer my cyclone feed was amazing no complaints. Now suddenly the gun chops paint non-stop. Another simularity is that I too am using top class paintballs, Marbalizers. The barrel is new no scratches, the cyclone is installed just as described in the manual. The connection to the power tube is not stripped so everything installed fine. I came down with one conclucion. It is the temperature. Now that it is winter time the Co2 freezes up the chamber and the powertube. I noticed that the tube connection where the screw is freezes up and looks as though it had been snowed on. The ice inside the tube will cause blowback gas to fail to go through giving the cyclone not enough presure to spin the blades. The chopping paint comes from the front gas presure to shoot opposite direction into the bladed hopper and crushing the paintballs. My only alternative is to switch back to gravity feed until the cold weather is gone, which is summer time. Hypothesis not proven, but it is the only alternative and explination for the breaks.

Edited by FireStrorm89
goats_896 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goats_896 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 10:32pm
ball detent backwards?
Zafira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireStrorm89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 10:34pm
what is a ball detent? Are you talking about the Ball latch, the thing that holds the paintball in place??
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 2:09am

Originally posted by FireStrorm89 FireStrorm89 wrote:

what is a ball detent? Are you talking about the Ball latch, the thing that holds the paintball in place??

In Tippmanns it is called the detent...that little pink rubber thing in the bottom of the loading chamber.

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 2:15am

Originally posted by Northern Pike Northern Pike wrote:

I followed the instructions to a T.
Again this problem existed before the FlatLine also. I guess I forgot to mention it.

Would something be catching in the chamber, spur, I do notice the power tube hitting & srapping the extention for the Flat Line. Maybe polishing the surface would help?

Some of the Flatline barrels have a relatively sharp edge at the transition from the receiver into the barrel. Two of my Flatlines (I had three at one time) had this sharp edge. I used a chamfering tool to break the sharp edge (smooth to a 45 degree bevel...ever so slightly)  and broken balls went away.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireStrorm89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 9:12pm
no the detent is not backwards. I am not sure yet why the gun breaks paint, but like I said it could be because of the frosted tube on the cyclone feed.
EriK6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EriK6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 9:26pm

Bring it to a pro shop

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireStrorm89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 9:59pm

I am in NYC there are no proshops for another 80 miles all the way in long island. It would be easier for me if I knew what the problem is so I could see if whatever it is I could fix myself. If not than I would bring it to a proshop. Not go 80 miles to get it fixed if it is a minor problem...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Pike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:36pm
Well, my ball detent or ball latch is in the right way. I do not ball when it is cold and even with multiple shots its understood that the barrel gets cold. It was doing this when the barrel was warm also.
No Pro Shops here either, just me.
I still broke balls even without the flatline, I had a Progressive barrel also, it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone know if the "parts" kit from Tippmann has all the parts I need to fix everything for guts inside (ie new power tube, rings, detent, ect.)Maybe an overhaul would be appropriate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireStrorm89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 12:50pm
theres nothing I can say, no one will answer these questions... First it was the gas valves now its the paint breaking. It leads from one problem to the other with these guns. I used a TIPPMANN barrel on my 98 Pro and it still breaks paint... I even used different paintballs and it still breaks paint... I had my gun for 3 months and it is already breaking paint non-stop... I even took off the cyclone feed and put the gravity back on and its still breaking paint... And no body at all has an answer or clue whats wrong with the gun. There are no more theories I have proven them all wrong, what else you all want to throw at me?
TippmannParts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannParts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 1:53pm

Does it chop during slow single firing?  When you let a ball go all the way in to the chamber and then take a single shot and wait for another ball to feed in completely and then take another shot does it still break paint?  If it breaks paint on these single shots then it's a problem IN then gun.  If it fires fine in this way then it's most likely a problem FEEDING paint in to the gun (feeder / breech / etc).

http://www.tippmannparts.com
Tippmann Paintball Gun Comparison Chart
http://www.tippmannparts.com/Tippmann-and-US-Army-Paintball-Guns-Markers-s/81.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireStrorm89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 4:01pm

The gun still breaks when it is fired in intervals. Also once the paint breaks it never stops breaking them. Every single shot is an explosion of paint like a shotgun. I have no idea how its possible, it just breaks the paint without explination as though the gas comming out of the gun is filled with sharp knives, thats the ONLY explanation I can think of.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannParts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 5:11pm
Take off the barrel completely.  Tip the gun back so the ball doesn't fall out.  Shoot the gun with no barrel.  Break or no break?
http://www.tippmannparts.com/Tippmann-and-US-Army-Paintball-Guns-Markers-s/81.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannParts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 5:12pm
Also...  Drop 10 balls from 6 fee on to smooth concrete.  How many broke or cracked out of the 10 you dropped?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic