FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airsoft vs paintball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 11:39am
Originally posted by spudcrazy spudcrazy wrote:

Does airsoft hurt more or less when being hit? And is it MORE of an honor system than paintball, since the airsoft leaves no mark (or does it)? Just curious....
Again, depends on equipment. 0.25/0.43g projectile traveling at 400fps? I'm sure you'll feel that one. :)
Definitely honor system, given no mark.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 12:31pm
You will know when hit, a real audible snap hitting your gear, and a real noticeable sting when hit on body.
That is where the Honor system comes in.

Actually impact energy of 6mm BB at 400fps is less than a .68 paintball at 290fps.
Picasso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Picasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 12:46pm

Honor System is a relative term.  Is the glass half empty or half full?Paintballs leave a mark, but an Airsoft hit doesn't even need to be wiped.   Cheaters are cheaters,  they will subvert any system to their benefit.  They would have a field day in airsoft,  no ducking behind an object to wipe, simply keep playing on.  And at 120metres,  how can you see something the size of a pea hit someone?

Ask about chronoing? 

Some Airsoft clubs are strict with chronoing,  others don't pay it any attention,  just as they don't pay attention to BB weight.  So you can have someone with a 425FPS Airsoft gun, shooting heavy more accurate BBs,  playing against someone else who is topped out at 250FPS with much lighter cheapo BBs.  Is that a level playing field, or is it what you can afford?

It would be like making newbs in Paintball chrono down to 250fps while we keep ours at 285fps.

In paintball, regardless of gun cost,  the Paintballs have a maximum weight, imposed by the industry,  and everyone is required to chrono to the same speed.  While Safety is the chief concern for Paintball chronoing,  it also serves to level the playing field.  In Paintball everyone has the same range.  Flatlines being the only exception,  however, a flatline pays a bit of a price in terminal velocity and "breakability" downrange.

ROF was considered , at one point, to cause paintball to be unfair, with HighSpeedToys having the advantage of massive suppressive fire,  but,  nowadays,  it doesn't take much cash to buy a MalaysianFizzlesmasher2005 that can pump out a good 15 BPS consistantly.  The ROF issues are pretty much dead in Paintball,  these days.

You wanna spray a case of paint in an hour?  Go right ahead, it adds to the scenery.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 1:06pm
Our group has established rules and guidelines on chrono and weapon use.

Standard select fire guns limited to 400fps w/.20/25g BB's only , designated sniper guns 450fps, up to .43 bb's.

Before play a consensus is taken on level of play. If a new guy with an out of the box AEG at 280fps feels he can not compete we put him with another who can help him adapt and learn in the system. And if there are too many stock guns, we all change our springs down to stock.

Adapting these guns to a 400fps standard is inexpensive, the out of the box 270-310fps is based on the Japanese requirements, since the majority of the guns are of Japanese manufacture. Many American import companies are upgrading the guns to a 350-400fps standard for the US market before sale.

In talking with the players and groups from NE/IA/MO/MN, most endevour to keep the field level, and as the market adjusts and the 350-400fps gun become the norm, the field and market is leveling as the sport increases in popularity.

Remmember early in paintball we had the unlevel playing field of .68 and .62, 300fps for .68 and 250fps for .62, the pump, semi, auto issue. Took awhile before paintball leveled out too. Still wobbles up and down here and there.

Oh and Pic, never seen a look of remorse on your face as you take your $1000.00 God Gun and hose down some kid with his $60.00 brass eagle blendmaster 2000, so level what field?

Edited by oldsoldier
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 3:30pm
^ Airsoft still sucks compaired to paintball. So write another essay about how good you are.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 5:16pm
I dont know OS, but in the Games we play with OMHW I havent seen any "arty arcs" and hope we hit someone. Maybee you need to hit the field more often with your team. I see the basic principles of Fire and Manuver, I see fluid movement in and out of the thick weeds. I seen us beat down paths in Snag vives and pricker bushes as I seen us run down roads to retake and reinforce positions.

I am sure them civilian kids with the wanna be rambo Gear wouldnt stand a chance against a real infantry squad. Same as no Newb would stand against a team as ours. So your comparison to all paintball players as undiciplined oafs who go arround hosing of the field is ignorant and really unwanted. For some one who was the "great sniper killer" I find it Ironic that now that you had some serrious surgery on yoru knees and found a new game all the sudden snipers a reality. that some how these small light weight BB's have made sniping posible.

Dont get me wrong, your my Team Mate and you always be and I love ya like a brotha. But enough is enough If you wanna make factual statements on paintball and Airsoft hey more power to you. But to sit here qouting off stats while sitting here making paintball seem like the sport of Oafs sorry brotha aint happening. Yoru preaching to the wrong Choir.

Semper Fi
Xspyderman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xspyderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 5:22pm
Ain't there an Airsoft forum somewhere...
Xs.

A5, GTA; Flatline, Double Trigger, R/T, Tapco Stock, 32 Remote, Attitude

Forum: meeting place or medium for discussion of matters of public interest. NOT INTERESTED? DON'T POST!
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

The accuracy increase from .20g to .25g is in itself considerable. Full Infantry rifles (M16A1/2 M-14 etc)shoot further and more accurate than carbines (M-4's)and SMG's (MP5's), simple balistics.

Are you talking about airsoft guns or real battle rifles and battle carbines? I wonder because going to a higher grain weight doesn't necessarily increase accuracy if it is the latter. Longer barreled higher power rifles have a velocity and bullet stabilization advantage, but the size and shape of the bullet plays a large part as well. Usually a bigger bullet has a higher drag coefficient and cross-section. For instance a Win .308 groups tighter then a .50BMG that has >5 times the bullet.

Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

Picasso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Picasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 5:48pm

I've never paid $1000 for a paintgun,  ever!

I'm just commenting on Airsoft, as it stands today.  No standard rules,  each club does their own thing.  If Airsoft ever goes commercial,  they will certainly have to chrono,  or the level playing field will never happen.

If you are chroning everyone to the same speed,  that is wonderful!A step toward paintball!

I do know that every PB game I've played,  including private,  everyone chronos to the same speed,  and all set to semi mode. Of course the tippmann RTs get to shoot RT mode, and that exception I'll never understand.

My cocker, shoots slower than any Model 98,  so I have no clue what your point is.  The fact that I can move my slow big butt , up close, and still eliminate someone still defies logic.   huh?

My gun must make me move faster.

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 5:58pm

Originally posted by spudcrazy spudcrazy wrote:

Does airsoft hurt more or less when being hit?  And is it MORE of an honor system than paintball, since the airsoft leaves no mark (or does it)?  Just curious....

It is more of two different kinds of "hurt".  Airsoft is similar to a bee sting.  I have an airsoft gun that shoots around 275 fps, so im not talking with a difference of velosity.  When your playing with wally-world airsoft guns, usually you can wear a sweatshirt and jeans and not really get shot up.  This is also where paintball gets better than airsoft, considering airsoft relies much more on having honest opponents.  Obviously, if your playing with 400 fps guns and heavier BB's, the honor system really doesnt matter anymore.

smiter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 6:09pm
"Ain't there an Airsoft forum somewhere..."
If you wanna brag about how great airsoft is, go to your own forum, this
is for pantball
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 6:12pm

I find both equally enjoyable.

Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Picasso Picasso wrote:

Of course the tippmann RTs get to shoot RT mode, and that exception I'll never understand.

Exactly! What's up with that?

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 7:24pm
Since there is no reputible paintball in the OmaLincoln area, and the local shop/field will get 5-7 players ( the usual kids armed with daddy's credit card and every high tech POS available, and pallets of paint, speedball minded, and Im not into chasin and shooting from behind blow up dolls) per day per weekend, had to find something to do. Shop does not do anything to increase interest except sell everything way too high, and way overprice their field supplies (paint and air).

Here in OmaLincoln there is a more adult crowd into airsoft, every weekend we have 25plus, and a major event 50plus, so had to shift interest or go crazy.

Family still is paintball armed with one marker per for our annual OMHW outing. But game expenses and travel costs make decesions on hobby priority easy.

Just highlighting the differences in application within the game, and as with the early days of paintball bugs are being worked out to make it a profitable commercial venture.

Have to do what is avail instead of dreaming on what could be if it were a perfect world.

Edited by oldsoldier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic