FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Wow, is this you?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Wow, is this you?"
    Posted: 26 October 2005 at 2:53am
Ok, just about every single windows user on my msn list, and in the entire residence here has now got a virus that I beleive to be a bropia virus.

symptoms"

It sends itself through msn, pretending to be a jpg.
It apparently prevents users from signing out of msn, if you manage to, it will sign you back in.
It blocks any webpage regarding virus's and the removal of them. I hosted a possible fix as an .exe and had a friend run it, but they still cant sign out of msn, and it says the virus wasn't found.

So, maybe not bropia? Bropia virus's usually disable the ctrl + alt + delete keystroke and removes the ability to use the task manager. She can still ctrl alt delete though, so maybe a variation?

We cant find any fixes, do any of you have ideas?
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 2:56am
Nortan released a removal tool a few months ago, I will link if I can find it.

EDIT : Link to tool

Double Edit : When I was sent the file (stopped myself from opening it just in time) it was sent in MS-DOS and titled "new pic of me".  Looks like they updated it.

Edited by Darur
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 3:25am
Thats the tool I'm sending to people.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 3:29am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Thats the tool I'm sending to people.

Oh, rofl. 

Have you tried HJT?  It only just occured to me, it would probably do the trick.

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 4:55am
???
paintballu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Stars dont matter to me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 6:19am
reformat=possibly most practical way.

Unless, somebody didnt back up their files

my xchat died...... no more irc :(
Funky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Pants? I dont need no stinking pants.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 10:13am
How the hell do people get virii in this day in age?

"Don't you hate pants?"
sporx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 10:18am
i really hope i didn't get it. Chewp I know that you run a Mac, but did u
get it too?
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 11:31am
I know the same thing was happening on AIM last week.....why don't people ever learn?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Tons of em’

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlentifulBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Funky Funky wrote:

How the hell do people get virii in this day in age?

Look at some of the people who live in this day and age.

sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by sporx sporx wrote:

i really hope i didn't get it. Chewp I know that you run a Mac, but did u
get it too?

Nope, I cant, so you didnt get it from me. Also, you havent been sending me the "Wow, is this you?" message, so I think you're safe.

Its pretty easy to get this virus, I was removing it from my CA's computer as tons and tons of people started talking on her msn, so we started sending out "dont click the link" and the most common response was:
"too late, why?"

wow

And if this is a bropia type virus, you shouldnt need to reformat....
skarshnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skarshnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 1:49pm
More sophisticated viruses come with the more sophisticated hardware.  Its simple really. 
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 2:04pm
Disconnect the internet line. It can't sign into msn then. And as for the blocking the fix sites, just burn the fix to a cd or save to disk or whatever from another comp and do it the old fashon way. That is if you can find the fix.

ps
housecall.antivirus.com is a good free online scanner/remover if you can get to it....

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by skarshnik skarshnik wrote:

More sophisticated viruses come with the more sophisticated hardware. Its simple really.

What?....they avtually send infected hardware through the mail to people now??? Awesome!

Anyway, I already put the virus fix 1) on a thumbdrive and 2) on my own hosting. This way it wont be blocked/ I can do it off my thumbdrive, but my CA, who obviously had the virus had the checker tell her she didnt have it. It's a new virus me-thinks.
TruePaintballer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Spam 11-19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruePaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 2:29pm
yeah among my circle that problem is around too...however i have been smart enough to avoid such occurances
Outlaws
*Sponsors*
Abrika
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dukes of Hazzard is SOOO Last Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 3:22pm
Heh- I was ready to message your msn screen name a while ago, but sent you a pm instead.
Lucky me.

saepe fidelis
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 3:37pm
reboot in safe mode, Run startup application, Turn off msn and any foriegn tasks... Once thats done clear system restore, reboot, reenable system restore, Do a virus search.

Should clear it up.

Edited by *Stealth*
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 4:09pm
Those come along all the time on AIM, I just run my AVG and Adaware SE and then restart my computer and it's gone.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Snipa69 Snipa69 wrote:

Those come along all the time on AIM, I just run my AVG and Adaware SE and then restart my computer and it's gone.
Yea, lots of people have them, I get them sent through AIM all the time.  I click on it anyway, even though I can tell its a virus (by the file extension), because It won't affect me.
paintbusta View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintbusta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 6:31pm
that sucks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic