FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inside the C3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inside the C3
    Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:00pm
Heres some pics for anyone interested in the guts of this thing.

Sorry I was an idiot and didnt take pictures of the actual guts guts...

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/c3/c3_1.jpg - KInda trying to show how it fits in your hand. Or something.

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/c3/c3_2.jpg - Size comparison to the 98

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/c3/c3_3.jpg - Looking iniside the weird bore-drop barrel. The back end is rough, but the actual bore of the barrel is very very smooth. You can also see the not-quite-adequete anti double feed.

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/c3/c3_4.jpg - The fuel injector valve, manual says its one of the main things to keep clean of gunk.

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/c3/c3_5.jpg - After opening the halves.

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/c3/c3_6.jpg - Its pretty idiot-proof. All the actual guts of the thing are locked up in the practically bulletproof chamber. The chamber is solid milled aluminum, very well made.

Now for info and stuff, copy/paste from my post on Tinkers Guild

Originally posted by The coolest Enos in the world The coolest Enos in the world wrote:

Ahoy guys,

Just got my C3 today from Tippmann, and of course the first thing I did was dissasemble it. I dont have any propane laying around, Ill have to hit up Meijer tommorow for a canister and a 200rd thing of paint.

Anyway, First impressions:

Its heavy. Not super unwieldly heavy, but definately a chunker. Theres a ton of composites used on this thing, but in my opinion the only part of it that feels "cheap" is the pump handle. Its really cruddy chinese-toy quality plastic. All the other plastics on the gun are very solid composites.

The only actual solid metal part of the gun is the combustion assembly. Its extremely well made, solid machined aluminum. Thats where 90% of the weight on the gun comes from, this thing is literally bomb-proof (no pun intended).

As for maintenance and such, it seems pretty well thought out. There is a fuel injector valve underneath the barrel that comes out with the removal of one snap ring. Basically a big cocker switch, the manual reccomends checking the o-rings for gunk and damage every so often. The guts of the firing chamber are fairly easy to get at as well. Removing the gigantic velocity screw from the back end allows you to slide the guts out the back. Again well machined aluminum.

Now functionality. I was figuring it used the combustion incidentally to compress a gas piston, and using that to fire the ball. Well, I was wrong. The propane combustion itself drives the ball. As I can tell the firing process is

User pulls the pump back, this clears the chamber of the gas from the previous shot. The pump stroke is about 1.5-2". On the final quarter inch or so, the pump arm buts up against the fuel injector valve (brass cylinder under the barrel, you can see it in the pictures). This allows a small burst of propane into the firing chamber.

When the user pushes the pump back, I believe (not 100% at all, the front end of the chamber is rather difficult to get apart) the fuel/air is mixed as it passes through the giant piston that the pump moves.

Trigger pull activates an electronic igniter, combustion. This is where it gets interesting, there is a spring-loaded plunger on the back end of the chamber that gets pushed back by the combustion, exposing the barrel pass-through. The velocity screw adjusts spring tension on this plunger, acting something like a mechanical dwell. The gasses from the combustion then directly propell the ball out of the barrel.

Bango View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Rugged Individualist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:03pm
Nice, I didn't realize they were out for sale already. 
ninety8freak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I have two kinds of wet in my pants

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninety8freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:12pm

wow, i want to see a vid before i get it....that gas reliability is too good to pass up.

PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Tons of em’

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlentifulBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Bango Bango wrote:

Nice, I didn't realize they were out for sale already. 

He didn't buy it. Courtesy of Tippmann Sports LLC.

sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:13pm
Dag on that thing looks bulky and heavy.  I wonder just how hot it gets when firing.  I saw the manual and it warns that it will get very warm when firing.
Cheetos3254 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Too cheesy for mere words to describe ..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheetos3254 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:15pm
man the C3 looks so tacky and old in all of the pics.
and the barrel looks like crap. But the insides look
nice and well put together so I guess its ok. I
didnt know it was electronic though?

Edited by Cheetos3254
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:15pm
so l33t. and let's just state this right now. Enos > Rambino

and i quote "<Enos> He got serial number 386, mine is 382"

we tossed a few ideas around in chat while enos was quoting the user manual. this might be a nice winter gun. 
Cheetos3254 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Too cheesy for mere words to describe ..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheetos3254 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

so l33t. and let's just state
this right now. Enos > Rambino

and i quote "<Enos> He got serial number 386, mine
is 382"

we tossed a few ideas around in chat while enos
was quoting the user manual. this might be a nice
winter gun.†

keep your hands nice and toasty

Edited by Cheetos3254
jrod1321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod1321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:18pm
wait its made out of aluminum! doesnt aluminum produce a toxic gas when heated too high or burned...i thought thats why they dont make tanks out of the stuff
Evil PIMP
Smart Parts ION
2-98 customs
Ariakon Sim4
Ariakon Overlord
Mech DragunFly
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:19pm
Sex
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:24pm

Originally posted by jrod1321 jrod1321 wrote:

wait its made out of aluminum! doesnt aluminum produce a toxic gas when heated too high or burned...i thought thats why they dont make tanks out of the stuff

Even though I don't like the idea of propane usage for a paintball marker, the combustion is so fast, there's little to no time for the aluminum to get hot enough to release any gas.  Even at high rates of fire (remember this is a pump), I very seriously doubt it'd get that hot, extremely warm, yes, hot NO.  They'd never be allowed to market it, if it did.  Even my spudguns, which have a lot bigger combustion than the C3, barely get warm to the touch.  It's barely enough to burn a potato.  It singes plastic bags (I use these for testing), but that's about it.

sneaky_sniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - inappropriate link 01/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneaky_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:47pm

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Sex

i concur...

Wow... that has to be the ugliest gun i have ever seen...

Edited by sneaky_sniper
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sneaky_sniper/Invader_Zim.jpg">
Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:58pm
I personally have no desire to get this gun.  I think it'd be cool that you'll get more shots per tank with the Propane, but the size and look of the gun throws me off.  I'm actually getting ahn SL-68 II at the moment.  Can't wait, and I'll get pics posted when I get it.  Custom Painted and Modded by Tigman.  Great guy.  Sorry I haven't been around as much guys.  I've discovered that I actually do have a life!
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:58pm

For 50,000 shots, I could care less what it looked like.

I'm still a little confused on the point about how combustion actaully fires the paintball. Nevertheless, nice work Enos.

<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 11:14pm
I believe the combustion fires a piston, which in turn pushes the ball.  I could be wrong.  Do a search, there has been a lengthy discussion and educational session on the workings of the C3.
Whazuuup! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Non-believer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whazuuup! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by spudcrazy spudcrazy wrote:

I believe the combustion fires a piston, which in turn pushes the ball.  I could be wrong.  Do a search, there has been a lengthy discussion and educational session on the workings of the C3.

Uhh, actually it's right in Enos' article there...

Man that thing is a beast!
I want to at least shoot it some time though, to see what it's like.
That's sweet that you got one early. Never sell it!

CIA356 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CIA356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 11:33pm
What exactly is with that barrel it looks odd to say the least? What's it made of?
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 11:35pm

Originally posted by CIA356 CIA356 wrote:

What exactly is with that barrel it looks odd to say the least? What's it made of?

"Composite"... aka plastic.

<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Kpoofs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike1, filter dodge 8-7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kpoofs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 11:43pm
Waitaminute...

the C-3 is electronic?!?!?1

Edited by Kpoofs
I Have a B2K and a 98c.
meteora View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meteora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Roll Tide Roll Tide wrote:

Originally posted by CIA356 CIA356 wrote:

"Composite"... aka plastic.

that's so it doesnt melt from fireing 4bps

GUN WHORE
XTC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic