Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How often...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tippman man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippman man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often...
    Posted: 24 October 2005 at 6:05pm
Hey guys, how often should I put gun oil on my gun?
I love my Tippman 98 custom!
GRRWingNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRRWingNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 6:13pm

Oil it every time you play.

Just a few drops in the ASA should be enough, then dry fire it a few times to work the oil through the internals.

if you get real hard on it during an outing, take it apart and clean it well. 

I take mine apart after every outing, but you don't have to.  You do, however, need to oil it every time you use it.

jj

A5RT Specops A5A2 kit
Soon a Flatline with UMS shroud, and Specops F.O.G. grip
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 6:14pm
Its wise to disassemble it after every game, to clean the internals and re-oil.

But if your lazy, everyother time you put air in it, put some drops in the asa.

However the asa method does not throughly oil all of the internals. So only do this a few times.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippman man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 6:21pm
OK so do it about every time I go out.
spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 7:15pm

Personally, I think taking the gun apart EVERYTIME you go out, is way overkill.  I clean the externals of the gun after each outing and I have a Rocket Cock 2 to keep stuff from getting into the bolt area.  Other than that, I don't see how the internals could get that dirty, unless you're diving in the mud or you get ball breaks.  I do put two drops of Hoppes #9 in the ASA AFTER every outing.  That way, it's oiled during storage.  For a Tippmann, I'd say take it apart every season, for a thorough cleaning.  Only sooner if there's a good reason.  Like others have said, Tippmann's are extremely robust.  Mine sure seems to hold up just fine.  I have yet to have a ball break and I've used everything from Marbs to Wal-Mart Scorch.

Edited by spudcrazy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippman man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 8:01pm
Hey thanks.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 1:31am

Originally posted by Tippman man Tippman man wrote:

Hey guys, how often should I put gun oil on my gun?

Right after you clean it every time you play.

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 1:46am

Anyone toss the empty pod away on the ground with the lid still open? Pick it up, refill with paint and return to play?

The pods get dirt inside that is carried into the chamber every time the marker is fired. Noticed any scratches of color wear of the throat of your barrel? Even clean paintballs carry processing chemicals and flakes of gelatin into the chamber area which works it into the power tube and forward bolt sliding contact areas.

Rocket Cocker keeps the crud out? Don't know about your marker but that cover never kept paint out of the rear bolt area when a paintball hits on the seam between the cover and the marker shell. Hits on the trigger puts paint into the grip and sear area. Dust or mud on your gloves gets grit into the hopper and trigger pivot of the trigger.

After a day of play the marker should be disassembled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. Just as if it were a real firearm.

spudcrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 7:45am

I guess I've been lucky, I've never been hit near the rear bolt area, so that has always stay clean of any other debris.  I have gotten a bit of paint in the sear area, I usually hit that area with compressed air, without taking the marker apart, never seems to be a problem, though.  (For giggles I took the receiver halves apart, little to no paint in the sear area, very little cleaning to be done...again, maybe just luck.)  As for pods, I pretty much strictly play hoperball, so I don't use pods during play.

I guess for safety's sake, go ahead and disassemble after everyday play, but I think I'll stick to my routine.  And Bruce, just to let you know, I DO clean my firearm after every usage.  Don't you just love the smell of BreakFree...

Mr. Heckler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Heckler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 3:53pm
You know, it really depends where you play too. If ur playing in a really dusty or otherwise gun-hazarous are its ok to clean it everytime.
The Tippmann Forums.....My Anti-Drug.

-98Custom
-Flatline
-6-Position Collapsible Stock
-32 Degrees Remote Hose
-Crossman Red Dot
EriK6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EriK6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 6:01pm
Just oil it everytime you play.
I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying.
Paintball4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 7:40pm
How exactly do you oil it?

Just drop the oil in the ASA(which is the thing the Co2 screws into?)
EriK6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EriK6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 7:48pm

Yes. You can also put oil on the internals when you're cleaning it.

I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic