FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

506th Reactivated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 506th Reactivated
    Posted: 21 October 2005 at 7:43am
506th RCT reactivated. For those who saw Band of Brothers, the 506th Parachute Infantry has had its colors reactivated, as a Regimental Combat Team in the 101st Airborne.

This historic unit will soldier on, and many vets from the 506th's WW2 and Vietnam era were there for the cerimony, I still have my old blue beret with 506th flash and Currahee Unit Crest, warms an oldsoldiers heart.

History is a hard act to follow, and these troopers will soldier on.

By the way Neblemann is doing fine

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 8:22am
What led to this happening? That is really kinda neat.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

My thoughts exactly

ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 8:51am
Happens all the time. 506th has been de/inactivated and reactivated several times since WWII.

The current reason was the Pentagon's recent expansion from three to four Brigade Combat Teams. They're trying to reorganize to smaller units that are easier to deploy.

Edited by ShortyBP
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

My thoughts exactly
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 10:41am
The US Military is shifting focus from large combat Brigades and Divisions formed and trained to fight a Soviet/US style tank war in Europe, to a lighter, smaller, better equiped, highly mobile force, to fight the new low intensity anti-insurgent style of warfare which will be the norm for the next few years.

The Airborne/Air Assault style forces fit the bill, being trained to fight since thier inception, surrounded, outgunned, outmanned, and attacking, keeping the enemy the poor bastards, right where they need and want them.

cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 10:59am
i did a 20 minute power point on operation market garden last year in my american history class. the 506th was there with the 501st and 502nd all form the 101st airborne division. hooah!!! (its an army thing)
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 11:16am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

surrounded, outgunned, outmanned, and attacking,
That little phrase gave me the chills to show out military kicks ass.

TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 2:47pm
My first airborne unit (and many others since it is now the jump school unit) was the 1st of the 507th, which also jumped into Normandy on D Day.

The 507th was the unit that jumped on St Mere Eglise, for those of you who remember the guy hanging from the steeple by his parachute in "The Longest Day".

It was that movie that made me want to be a paratrooper.  

Edited by TRAVELER
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 3:22pm
^^^^^^  That was indeed a very powerful scene.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

surrounded, outgunned, outmanned, and attacking,
That little phrase gave me the chills to show out military kicks ass.

Not to change the threads theme because thats awesome that they are reactivating them.

But that sounds like Chesty.
98God View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ya, the joke did get you Strike 1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 5:01pm
This is good news indeed.
southernboy51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southernboy51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 6:56pm
yeah i saw Band of Brothers right now i am reading the book about them by Stephen E. Ambrose really good book
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 6:57pm

Originally posted by ShortyBP ShortyBP wrote:

Happens all the time. 506th has been de/inactivated and reactivated several times since WWII.

The current reason was the Pentagon's recent expansion from three to four Brigade Combat Teams. They're trying to reorganize to smaller units that are easier to deploy.

I never knew that.

Klaus View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Filterdodge - 7/21

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 10:42pm

Amazing

I'm writing a 15 page paper on Winter's, going to write him a letter when I finish...

GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2005 at 5:45pm
yea, theyve been deactivated and reactivated throughout the years since ww2, its a shame they cant keep them up all the time and deactivate another division....such is life i  guess
IrIsHGunNeR37 View Drop Down
"Pockets"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrIsHGunNeR37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2005 at 6:21pm
Thas cool that they are re-activating the 506th.......I never knew that they were back and forth with being deactivated then reactivated on several occasions since WW2.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic