Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Model 98 questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bad64Chevelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad64Chevelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 98 questions
    Posted: 17 October 2005 at 1:00pm

I have had my M98 for about 5 years+ now, and use it all the time. The gun most likely has well upwards of 40,000 rounds through it and has been nothing but a pleasure to own. The gun has an aftermarket bolt, an All American Barrell, and not much else done to it. All other internals are the originals. The gun used to be amazingly accurate even at very long distances. Lately It has been getting a little slow, and losing alot of its accuracy. I am using the same balls I used to use, and tried many other kinds also. I do use both C02 and Compressed air like I have been doing the whole time. Is there anything I should do now that the gun is getting a little older now? Like new seals, power tube, etc? Every time the gun was used it would be cleaned, stripped and oiled. Do these things tend to get a little sloppy after so much use? Thanks alot!

Jon

M98-StarFire Bolt-All American Barrel- Custom Paint scheme
TippmanHotshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmanHotshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 6:55pm
Well, five years of using only one gun is a lot. I would say it's probably just starting to wear out. Maybe it's time to give a proper funeral to your gun and pick up a new one?
Overshooting,
America's greatest pastime.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad64Chevelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 7:22pm
Well I had two guns for half of it, but most of the time I just ended up using the Tippmann. There is no way to freshen up an old tippmann?
jrod1321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod1321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 9:47pm
you should do what i did, just buy internals one by one until u get it back to where it was,i gradually replaced all m internals
Evil PIMP
Smart Parts ION
2-98 customs
Ariakon Sim4
Ariakon Overlord
Mech DragunFly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmanHotshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 10:46pm
Yeah, and check out the M98 Proseal by Dead On Paintball first, because from your description, that sounds like it could be the most likely to fix the problem. After that, try a new front and back bolt and lube it up really good. That's all I can think of.
Overshooting,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad64Chevelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:11pm

One other thing, i dont know why but I would turn the velocity up and down and nothing changed much. Im going to look into the pro seal and see what I can do. Anything else guys?

Jon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmanHotshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:28pm
If you're having velocity problems, the proseal is definetely what you should look at, at it has the piece that controlls the amount of gas exiting the barrel.
Overshooting,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmanHotshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:29pm
By the way, make sure when you get the proseal to make sure it's for the Model 98, because they make a 98 Custom one too. I think that they both might fit but you should buy the right one to be sure
Overshooting,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad64Chevelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:50pm
Yeah I just saw that. I E-Mailed them and we will see what they respond with. I just sold my Autococker so I may either fix the M98 or get an A-5.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmanHotshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 12:14am
Well, if you're thinking about switching, go either for a 98 Custom, or another gun altogether, such as a Promaster, an Ion, a Wrath, or an Impulse. These are all approximately the same price
Overshooting,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad64Chevelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 12:19am
why not the A-5?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad64Chevelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 12:21am
I dont need a gun that can shoot 25 balls a second, I like to be able to out-distance most other guns thats all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmanHotshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 7:16pm
Well then get the 98 Custom with a flatline or an Apex. I know the flatline works really well, but I guess the Apex work too.
Overshooting,
El Zilcho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Zilcho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 12:05am

Get a new drive spring. That will get your velocity back up.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic