FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interview?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview?
    Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:50pm

Ok, this is for the more....grown or experianced of forumers....*COUGHclark kentCOUGH*

Ok, so my #1 College choice, the University of Florida called me tonight, and they want to interview me on the phone, Tuesday night.

What is this about? Does it mean they are thinking of accepting me? Do all big colleges conduct interviews? Do I plan out what I am going to say? What will they ask? Aaaah!?

Ok, Just so you know I have my application in, and have had it in since this time last month. I applied "Early Decision", which means as soon as I am accepted (if I am) I have to deny all other colleges and take out all other applications, and pay a certian % of the first year. This ups my chances of getting in. UF is a hard school to get into. Entrance GPA average is 3.8, ACT 26 and SAT 1250. My GPA for highschool was a 3.6, but I got a 4.1 this semester so it should go up. I have a ACT of 26 and a SAT of 1150, with a retake score coming in soon.

cdacda13 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yes, spelled secual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdacda13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:52pm
I dont know anything about that.
BUT
I wish you the best of luck getting into UF.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:54pm
Probably was just a prank call.
chronic future View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I’m not back in 5 mins.. Wait longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:55pm
UF is a tough school, best of luck to you, and as for the interview i'd say comply with what they ask you on the phone
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Probably was just a prank call.
Fat Stalin View Drop Down
Strike 1 Derogatory Sexual Slur 9/22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:05pm
If they are interested in doing an interview, then they are probbally considering you. Have you been to princetonreview to see what they consider for admissions? 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:09pm

Originally posted by Fat Stalin Fat Stalin wrote:

Have you been to princetonreview to see what they consider for admissions? 

Na, I have been going off the admission standards on www.ufl.edu

I will look at that site, thanks.

xteam View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:12pm
make sure you use your "sexy" voice
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:35pm

I'm a 16 year old lesbian - calling me "experienced" isn't very nice...   :P

But honestly, not sure how much help I can be.  Colleges all have different procedures, and as best I can tell they are applied almost randomly.

Some schools interview, some don't - some interview only sparingly, others interview all the time.

But, generally speaking, an interview could most likely mean one of two things:  Either you are on the bubble or you are a lock.

You could be on the bubble - your grades/scores are good enough, but there are others in your boat, and they are trying to differentiate among candidates that are otherwise similar.

Or, you could be a lock, and a very good candidate, and they are "interviewing" you to get a chance to sell you on the school - convince you to go to their school.  Top candidates usually have a choice of schools, and are courted.

You have to ask yourself whether they are courting you, or testing you.

Of course, they might also have a "random interview" policy - I don't know.  Some schools do that as well, or interview whenever they have local people to handle interviews.

As for interview preparation - that's a tricky one.  There are books and books on the subject.  It really depends on whether the interview will be a "conversational" interview or a "question" interview. 

For conversational interviews, your best bet is simply to be yourself - but make sure that "yourself" is engaged and engaging.  Don't just answer questions - engage in a conversation.  You don't need to try to impress people, just show yourself as the intelligent rational human you are.  Don't be afraid to have an opinion, but be prepared to back it up.  This isn't a knowledge test, it is a test of rationality and personality.  They are looking to see if you have the personality they are looking for in their student body, and whether you are a "thinker" - many good students don't hardly think at all.  These interviews are the better and more intelligent interviews - and also easier for you, assuming you are a good candidate.  Just don't be afraid or bashful, and don't be an ass.

For question interviews, you will be asked stupid questions like "if you were a tree, what kind would it be" and "what is your greatest weakness."  There are books on these questions, with pat answers to them.  Any interviewer stupid enough to ask these questions will likely be impressed with a pat response, so that may be the safe route here.  If you have time, I definitely recommend checking out a couple of books on the subject.

Hope that helps - good luck.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 5:29pm

Thanks Clark.

Heres more: I asked my guidance councler at my school today, and he said:

"With it being a big school like UF and you having grades a few points lower than the average, you are probobly right on the bubble of admittance. They are going to use the interview to determine if you are getting in or not......No pressure though"

He also went on to say that they will most likley ask me my projected Major, why I picked that major, why I picked UF, how far I want to go there, ect...

Edited by Tae Kwon Do

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 5:38pm
Just dont be an idiot. Use formal language, dont have alot of "um"s and "like"s.

I think you'll do well.

Best of luck.
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 5:54pm

Originally posted by xteam xteam wrote:

make sure you use your "sexy" voice

That allways works 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

He also went on to say that they will most likley ask me my projected Major, why I picked that major, why I picked UF, how far I want to go there, ect...

Classic "conversation interview" stuff.  Just be honest and interesting.  When they ask "why UF", don't say "dunno, it's close to where I live", but don't give the suck-up answer from their website either.  Just be honest with them - sounds like you've been wanting to go to UF for some time.  Tell them that.  When they ask which major, you are allowed not to know - you just aren't allowed not to care.  This is a great opportunity to engage in a conversation about your hopes and dreams, likes and dislikes.  Simply answering "Sociology" (or whatever) is not a good answer.

Good luck!

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

I'm a 16 year old lesbian - calling me "experienced" isn't very nice...   :P

Sure your not a 20 something year old male?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 6:02pm

Ive got the questions planned out in my head

Why UF: I want a degree that will mean somthing, one from a major school that I can take with my in life. You [UF] offer a great journalisim course and have some of the best facilities on the state.

What major: I really want to get into Journalisim. When I took the tour of UF over the summer, I went into the Journalisim building and one of the graduate students gave me a seperate tour of some of the radio booths, news production studios, research rooms, and the labs for the newspaper.

Why Journalisim: I like writing. I enjoy research and knowing all I can know about subjects that I dont know about. I love current events and watching the world change around me, and someone has to document it all.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 6:05pm

Which classes did you enjoy in H.S.?

What do you like to do when you aren't journalisting?  (be very careful here - paintball is weird.  Weird is bad.)

How about them Gators?

What do you think about Bush's handling of Katrina?

Have you thought about where to live on campus?

bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 6:11pm
If journalism doesn't work out, what would you choose as a major?
Be prepared to have a few answers for that question.

Edited by bluemunky42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 6:13pm

And review your resume and transcript.  Smart interviewers will ask you about things on your resume, and ask about some class you took.

And make sure to have a couple ready when they ask if you have any questions for them.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 6:26pm

Which classes did you enjoy in H.S.?

I enjoy Yearbook the most. I liked English alot also. I am in AP English currently and love it. I also am duel-enrolling at Lake-Sumter Community College and taking College Comp. 1. I enjoy that too, writing is a strongpoint of mine.

What do you like to do when you aren't journalisting?  (be very careful here - paintball is weird.  Weird is bad.)

[Basic hobbies, nothing too out there. No paintball, no airsoft, no geocaching] I enjoy martial arts. I like cooking, and learning cooking skills on my off time. I also love bowling on local leagues.

How about them Gators?

They are doing great for having to switch coaches 3 times in 3 years. Meyers has a great team to work with.

What do you think about Bush's handling of Katrina?

[I dont want to get too opinionated here, do I, I will say somthing moderate like] While the response was slow, I dont think it was 100% Bush's fault. The amount of time it takes for the local government to request national support, the Guard tp respond, and FEMA to step in, has to be hurried in the future.  

Have you thought about where to live on campus?

I love the halls on the east side [East side = older "Historical" dorms]. I would like to get into Murphee Hall or Beaty Hall. The others are more cosmeticly appealing, but I really would like to have a dorm with central air-conditioning. It is Florida you know [We both laugh, hahaha]

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 6:28pm

Originally posted by bluemunky42 bluemunky42 wrote:

If journalism doesn't work out, what would you choose as a major?
Be prepared to have a few answers for that question.

I have also considered similar fields. Broadcasting is appealing to me, especially with the new market of Satellite Radio. Public Relations is also a very secure line of work I think I could do well.

And review your resume and transcript.  Smart interviewers will ask you about things on your resume, and ask about some class you took.

And make sure to have a couple ready when they ask if you have any questions for them.

Check and check. I printed them both out as soon as I read that.

Is it true that sometimes they try to catch and see if you lied on your application/resume during these resumes? I didnt lie on anything I can remember...

Edited by Tae Kwon Do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic