Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flatline Breaking Balls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohNsoN08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohNsoN08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatline Breaking Balls
    Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:48pm
ok 
I ordered a Flatline barrel off of 888paintball.com about a month and a half ago.  I just got time to put it on my 98 custom about 2 weeks ago.  I took it out and tested it and it did fine except for a couple balls but i prolly shot 500 balls through it.  This last weekend i went and played with it.  It busted about 1 in every 5 balls i shot.  I cleaned all the paint out of it and played some more ... same thing it busted about 1 in every 5 balls i shot.  I turned down the valocity and it did a little better in not busting the balls.  When i got home i took the flatline off and cleaned it good and reassembled it.   Then i took it out and tested it.  It busted just as many balls.   
  I dont think it was the paint. I was using competative edge paintballs.  I had full co2.  I dont know why its bustin the balls. 

Please give me some info on the flatline barrel. 
duffer1497 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer1497 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:01pm
my flatline never had that problem. ive used paint quality from the cheapest to the most expenceve try a new batch of paint you may have a bad batch. Are you sure your barrel is locked in that may also be an issue
TippmanHotshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmanHotshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:17pm
Yeah, make sure it's on correctly first, then check your paintballs. Make sure they actually fit into the barrel. If the paintballs are too big, then when they are forced into the barrel they will just crumple. Other than that, I suppose it's possible that there is a chip in your barrel. Use a flashlight and try to look inside to see.
Overshooting,
America's greatest pastime.
alexderaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexderaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 10:40pm
I have a 98 flatline as well as an A5 flatline, what I've learned over the years is you have to be picky about the paint you use.  Cheap paint sucks because they usually have dimples or are oval shape which works horribly with the backspin. 
But then again really expensive paint sometimes isnt always best.  You can get perfectly round paint that are some times to brittle to go through the flatline.  I find that www.ebalz.com has really good paint that goes well with the flatline, or any other barrel.
gslstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gslstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:24am

I feel for ya man!!!!

I also have had problems with the ball breakin flatline 98c.  1st off paint is definately key with the flatline. My flatline barrel (i have a hunch) is very picky about paint. I think you should watch out for old paint that may sit around for awhile. I can definatlely agree with alexderaven on the dimples and oval shapes. I have used some diablo heat paintballs in the past and they worked pretty good for awhile, but I just bought a new case and the balls looked kind of funny, oval shaped, and a dimple or two. The fourth ball out broke. I have had marbalizers break as well.I'm going to post a poll to find out some reccomendations. 2nd  Try to see where the balls are breaking I did swap my bolt for a rufus dawg bolt system because the balls where breaking at the bolt and that did help alot. I made sure that there are no burs on the barrell adapter or anything that could cause breakage. Make sure the barrel is clean and free from any debris. I wash mine with soap and water and dry it thouroughly. It sucks when a ball breaks and you can't squeegie the barrell clean enough. The barrell becomes useless if its wet with paint and shell bits. 3rd  Make sure your velocity is set well (270-280 fps) recomended for flatlines If you use a cronograph you should check your velocity with a regular barrel and set it up good for 280fps Then attach the flatline making sure it's seated properly then chrono and adjust accordingly. Try not to use a tank thats less than half full or weak. The inside of the barrel had what they call a sand blasted finish it gives the ball traction to gain the backspin it needs. If this surface gets really worn off or chiped it can cause problems, but you can get it resurfaced. Where your barrel is new you should not have this problem but i would check it out. My barrell does have some small scratches from shell bits when the balls break, but i don't think it is the cause a breaking at this point. I still haven't figured out my dilema, but I'll let you know when I do.

dead-eye_tippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dead-eye_tippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 5:52pm

Paint is the major key.  A good brand is Xball, and my gun is chronoed at 276 fps.  Having the velocity too high can put too much force on the ball and break it.  Just a couple hints...

Gear:
Smart Parts Ion
Tech T Bolt
CCM Feedneck
NDZ Roller Trigger
CP Razor Drop Forward
Virtue Board
CP ASA On/Off
Freak Kit 14"
360 QEV
Shocker Regulator
 Post Reply Post Reply