FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SL-68/SL-68II parts interchangability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SL-68/SL-68II parts interchangability
    Posted: 12 October 2005 at 6:41pm
This one will probably stump a few of you, but I bought an SL-68 on ebay a while ago, and of course got ripped off and sold a gun that didn't work although the seller assured me it did. It leaks CO2 out the barrel as soon as the tank is screwed in, so I'm assuming this means the cup seal is bad. I was planning on sending it to Tippmann for repairs, but decided to browse online for parts first. I looked on county paintball and they had one cup seal left for an SL-68 II. It looks the same as the one on the SL-68, so I bought it, along with an SL-68II o-ring kit and the last hopper adapter. How many of the parts on SL-68's and SL-68II's are interchangable in the event I need more parts in the future? I've heard of people using SL-68II powertubes and bolts in SL-68's to make velocity changes easier. What about the foregrips if I decide to do some modding? I've totally dissassembled this gun once, but for the life of me can't remember how I got the valve out. I know I considered removing the retaining screws and attatching the tank thereby shooting it into a pillow but can't remeber if I resorted to that. Anybody have any dissassembly/reassembly tips? I wish it was as easy as on an SL-68II, but I like the tank placement and M-16 grip. I have plans for this gun, possibly using my grip options to install a more ergonomic M-16 grip, definatly a new barrel and probably the addition of my ADCO sure shot. I'm also considering modifying the foregrip by putting a rail on the bottom, or possibly replacing it with an M-4 RIS handgaurd. However, this is all on hold until this thing actually works. Hopefully, if I use this as my primary marker like I intend, it will keep me able to afford playing. Thanks.
ANARCHY_SCOUT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 1/24 rudeness to newer members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANARCHY_SCOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 5:18pm
Hey man Same thing happened to me a few months back I tried a new cup seal and it still leaked but I do not know what is interchangeable though so im confused as well.
Gamertag: Kataklysm999
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 9:04pm
So your SL-68 still leaks after a cup-seal replacement? Hmm, maybe they aren't interchangable. How'd you get your valve out?
ANARCHY_SCOUT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 1/24 rudeness to newer members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANARCHY_SCOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 11:33pm
I got it out by taking a small hex key and sticking it through the back of the gun where the air hole is.
Gamertag: Kataklysm999
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 2:58pm
OK, I replaced the cup seal. It was a bit of a hassle, it didn't want to fit on the back of the powertube, but I pressed it on with some help from a vise. However, now I have new problems. It doesn't seem to leak when the hammer is cocked, but otherwise it leaks slowly, also every time I pump it. On top of that, it leaks out the ASA(my tank o-ring is fine) with my 9oz tank, but seemed to be ok with my 20oz of a different brand. I'm going to install my new o-rings when I get them, but does anyone know what the leak problem is? Is my valve spring worn out? I'm thinking it's just about time to send this thing back to tippmann.
CIA356 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CIA356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 6:03pm
Yah let tippmann deal with it. I just purchased an SL 68 and after hearing this i am glad mine works and I don't have to try and fix it.
tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 10:16pm

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

OK, I replaced the cup seal. It was a bit of a hassle, it didn't want to fit on the back of the powertube, but I pressed it on with some help from a vise. However, now I have new problems. It doesn't seem to leak when the hammer is cocked, but otherwise it leaks slowly, also every time I pump it. On top of that, it leaks out the ASA(my tank o-ring is fine) with my 9oz tank, but seemed to be ok with my 20oz of a different brand. I'm going to install my new o-rings when I get them, but does anyone know what the leak problem is? Is my valve spring worn out? I'm thinking it's just about time to send this thing back to tippmann.

if it leaks every time you pump it you need to screw the linkage into the pump forearm until you get rid of the "pop", when you get rid of the pop you won't be able to cock it aired up don't worry this is normal (the valve needs air pressure to push it forward to engage it) the valve on a SL-68 II pushes out the back i'm not sure about the SL-68, i would assume the valves are the same but i don't know for sure. any time i had an air leak on the SL II i just put a few drops of oil in the ASA and it cured it.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2005 at 9:35pm
The SL-68 is a back bottle gun, so the valve pushes out the front. I was able to get the valve out and install the new cup seal(tryed the linkage arm adjustment, now it just leaks out the barrel when i try to screw the bottle in, I don't even get a chance to see if it will cock) and I think it's installed right. I'm gonna try to push it on a bit harder and stretch the valve spring if I can, then it's going to tippmann. I was really hoping to get this thing working, I do like the back bottle design with a red dot sight and the M-16 grip is nice. It's gonna suck if it can't be fixed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic