Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flatline Theories...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
noobtacular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noobtacular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 8:29pm

Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

Personal observation from being on the field: The flatline does seem to hurt more when you get shot with it.

Tests have been done ahwile back that show a normal barrel will lose velocity faster than the ball from a flatline. That would explain his "hitting harder" theory because the balls are indeed at a higher velocity than a normal paintball at that distance.

I'll try to find them and get you a link if possible.

A ball with spin on it is much more likely to resist forces pushing against it (ie wind). I havent shot a flat line, but it might increase range lol. I have some airsoft guns with some backspin system...

From what iv seen with backspin (i havnt seen flatline though) it goes straight, then zooms straight up and drops like a stone lol. but thats only with airsoft guns :P so i dunno about flatline.

btw... BT Apex is supposedly much better than flatline.

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 8:57pm
A good golfer makes the decision on the type of spin on the ball.  Approach shots usually have backspin to check the ball up for accuracy near the pin and drives on long holes or in windy conditions you try to apply topspin not only to gain more distance on the ground from roll but to "cheat the wind" as well.
Sent from a phone booth
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by noobtacular noobtacular wrote:

From what iv seen with backspin (i havnt seen flatline though) it goes straight, then zooms straight up and drops like a stone lol. but thats only with airsoft guns :P so i dunno about flatline.

The flatline is very similar.  It doesn't go "straight up", but it does rise a bit at the same time it slows down dramatically.  Then it kind of just "flutters" and dies.  At exactly the right range you can fire well above a bunker and drop almost perfectly vertical shots in behind it.  They don't necessarily break, but they annoy the heck out of the occupants.  (In one case, I had an opponent that I was doing this to turn around, scream at a member of his own team to "********* stop it!", and start shooting at him.  I laughed so hard I had to quit playing for over five minutes.)

Edited by Mack
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

A good golfer makes the decision on the type of spin on the ball. 

I'll have to take your word for that...   :)

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

Bruce I'm referring to topspin like the Apex can achieve.

Any thought's?

The Flatline system puts back-spin on the ball, producing lift. Putting topspin, just the opposite of back-spin, makes the ball curve downward rather sharply (combining a downward "lift" with gravity). With the Apex it is caled the dive-bomb mode.

Most of my play with the Apex so far has been under the lights where it is difficult to see the dark (unfortunately) paint we have had lately. I have had only a couple of chances to try the "dive-bomb" mode so far. Arch of the flight path is sever with more that enough velocity to break the paintball when coming in from above.

Cheating the wind, a term used in golf, using top spin, is more about keeping the ball lower, below the tree tops, to avoid higher winds. Shooting the Apex into the wind with the "top spin" dialed in would likely shorten its flight putting the ball into the ground more quickly.

I have noticed that with the left or right mode dialed in that when, say, I am dialed to turn left and the cross wind is blowing from the left, the ball turns more sharply than when it is turning away from the wind.

daveandchig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveandchig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 4:57am
much is the same in baseball.  A headwind is a fastball pitchers nightmare.....however, a junk baller loves the head wind because it causes his curve balls, split fingers, sliders, and slurves to break much more.  Think of it this way, the faster the wind is against the spin, it kind of equates to a ball actually spinning faster than normal due to the increased friction and lift effects.  Make any sense?
you're no daisey.
LordJovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 9:09am
Mayhaps my statement is too broad. I made the same mistake twice on that one (trying to answer posts as fast as possible at work). I was trying to make this statement referring to the uplift the spinning ball has. I was trying to note the fact that an object will continue moving in a direction unless an additional force acts upon it, like gravity.
A-5
E-grip
Chipley Custom Carbon Graphite 16"
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg