Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Power Tube Hard Too Remove

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Power Tube Hard Too Remove
    Posted: 28 September 2005 at 11:53am

Hi, I just got my a-5 yesterday and it's the most awsome gun I've ever used. I spent a couple hours taking it apart and oiling/familiarizing myself with the parts. I have a problem, though. In the manual for removing the drive assembly it says that once I have the back pins out and the velocity screw all the way in I should be able to point the gun up and everything will just slide right out. Not true. I have to remove the lower receiver(grip) and stick something up in there and pry the insides out. I've narrowed the problem down to the power tube. It just doesn't fit in there smoothly. I've oiled the thing till the cows come home with no luck. Any suggestions? Is this normal? Thanks,

tpitman

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 6:07pm
Tippmann casts their receivers rather than milling them.

Sometimes the tolerances can be a little tight. You can try sanding the metal just a tad where the powetube normally rests.
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 8:34pm
Thanks I might try that. You mean sanding the inside of the receiver, right? I'm hoping that it loosens up on its own a little. It gives me some problems. Aside from being hard to pull apart, forcing it back together is even worse. If I try to push it by the bolt it causes the valve to pop apart. Any other suggestions?
Bango View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Rugged Individualist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 12:00am
Instead of sanding the receivers down, use some paint stripper on them. This will prevent you from taking off too much material which can cause your gun to leak. Make sure your tombstone is not in when you take it out or put it in.
tpitman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 4:10pm
I'm sorry but I don't know exactly what paint stripper is. How will it help in this case?
Bango View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Rugged Individualist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 6:14pm
When Tippmann made the receivers for your A-5, they always get a little overspray inside the gun, this could be causing it the powertube to stick in there. If you don't have paint stripper, just take some steel wool and smooth out the inside of your receivers. 
t-dot-pballa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-dot-pballa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:04pm
i had this problem as well when i first got my a-5. what ive found the easiest is to just take the receivers apart and then u can take it all apart from there.
pcitumhostes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcitumhostes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 3:05pm
By saying, "just take the receivers apart" do you mean to split the top half of the A-5?
pcitumhostes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcitumhostes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 3:20pm
I just got off the phone with two different Tippmann technicians.  One was at their west coast repair facility and one was at their 800 number.

Here is their recomendations:

1. Shooting the marker should wear it in a little.
2. Taking the receiver apart, splitting the two halves, and using a scotchbrite pad or very fine steel wool will remove any paint overspray.
3. Make sure all parts are well oiled.
4. Send the marker back to them so they can look at it.  They will do this service for free.

Looks like I'm going to spend my afternoon taking the reciever apart.
GRRWingNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRRWingNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 3:20pm

Make sure that the velocity screw is turned in all the way and not sticking out, that would make the power tube jam a bit as well.

I agree with everyone else though, on the paint stripping.  I wouldn't sand, just use paint stripper!!  I had a similar problem, and once I removed the overspray, the guts just fall right out.  After you remove the overspray, you may want to even polish the reciever halves.  Nothing too abrasive, something like chrome polish would work well.  If you do this, you may even notice a slight increase in FPS and shots per tank!

jj

Edited by GRRWingNut
A5RT Specops A5A2 kit
Soon a Flatline with UMS shroud, and Specops F.O.G. grip
Stormcharger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormcharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2005 at 9:51pm
This is normal for an A5.  It may have a snug fit, so unless you are having binding problems like the the bolt hangging up and not recocking, then this isn't a problem.  Mine was tight when I bought it and after two years of hard use is still tight and has worked flawlessly throughout.  The tighter your action is without binding, the better seal you will have and therefore better air efficiency.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic