Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 with Stock, can’t aim through sights.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
easyPoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyPoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 with Stock, can’t aim through sights.
    Posted: 21 September 2005 at 11:00pm
Hey all.

I just got my first A-5 model, with collapsable stock. However the problem is that I can not aim through the iron sights with that stock on.   Do people even use iron sights when playing paintball? Any way for me to avoid this problem?
TruePaintballer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Spam 11-19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruePaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 11:08pm
i dont know how you like it...but sights just are in the way for me
Outlaws
*Sponsors*
Abrika
TOPGUNxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOPGUNxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 11:20pm
you can set up an offset rail if you like
A-5

Hogue Grip Sleeve
GTA Double Trigger
J&J 14"

Drop Forward = ?
easyPoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyPoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 11:27pm
TopGunxx: can you give me more info on that? What is an offset rail? Does it move the sights, or hopper? Do you know of a place that sells them?

thnx
TOPGUNxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOPGUNxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 11:35pm

Originally posted by easyPoo easyPoo wrote:

TopGunxx: can you give me more info on that? What is an offset rail? Does it move the sights, or hopper? Do you know of a place that sells them?

thnx

http://tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=134077& amp;KW=offset+rail

that is a pic of an a-5 with an offset rail. it is used with those who have stocks and want to use a sight of some sort (red dot). it enables the sight to be moved to the left or right (players preference) so that they dont have to reach their head over to use the stock sights. search the web for those. there are a lot

A-5

Hogue Grip Sleeve
GTA Double Trigger
J&J 14"

Drop Forward = ?
Lil' Joe Boogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil' Joe Boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 12:39am
Roger that.
You can find some rails @
http://shopping.netsuite.com/opsgear
http://www.specialopspaintball.com

Shop around and happy hunting.
Lil' Joe Boogie
A-5
Large Unit View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not really, but it looks good as a name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Large Unit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 1:57am
I find just pointing and shooting then correcting off where the paint is going is a lot more effective, much faster and IMO more accurate than the steel sights (after you get the feel for your gun of course).

This is comming from a speedballer but aiming is aiming whether your on a speedball field or in the woods.

Edited by Large Unit
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 8:56am
Knowing how to accurately aim your marker can be one of the best kept secrets in paintball. I am not talking about one shot eliminations, just get used to a sight picture so your first few aren't all over. Get a friend to throw a tennis ball out for you and the instant it hits the ground start shooting at it, you will see what I mean. Look down your barrel, eyes on the front sight, target and rear should be fuzzy. Have a lower hold (rear sight around chin) with both eyes open to observe, then raise it and close one eye to shoot. From playing you will discover that "pointing and shooting then correcting off where the paint is going" is only effective for sustained fire. No good when you are poping out from behind cover all over the place rapidly. The "reactionary" aiming cost time and also you loss your shot when you stop firing and move. Someone who knows where their paint is going to go before they pull the trigger will get you first. Don't get a scope, or elaborate sights, they are not necessary. There is a lot of drop with paintballs, you will not adjust your sights for that and you want fast target aquisition (no scope). Someone waiting to see where their balls are landing to lead a moving target is what I take advantage of when I run past them shooting at me. Laneing is another story, but then you can see where they are shooting also and avoid that. A rear raised sight rail will bring your point of impact up, this is good because of the balls drop. What you will get used to is tha amount of drop at different distances, and you need to observe your shots to adjust that. For getting the horizontal lined up nothing beats looking down the top of the marker, use your sights.

Edited by Nickodemus
Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 9:54am
Sights on paintball markers are just for looks. Youll discover this the more you play.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 10:39am
Scopes, holosights and other elaborate sighting systems are just for looks, they block your view and take up weight/get hit. You should have something to look down though, even if it is just the top of the back of your frame and the crown of your barrel. Iron sights work.

whack-a-mole View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Member of the "I Have No Life Club"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whack-a-mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 10:47am

Originally posted by Nickodemus Nickodemus wrote:

Scopes, holosights and other elaborate sighting systems are just for looks, they block your view and take up weight/get hit. You should have something to look down though, even if it is just the top of the back of your frame and the crown of your barrel. Iron sights work.

I'll second that. I use my sights as a reference. It helps alot. That's one of the reasons I don't like center feed hoppers.

NASA and the Americans spent millions of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a pen that would write in space.....The Russians used a pencil.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 11:04am

Fortunetely your eyes will parallex around the center feed if you keep them both open. I tend to close one just before the shot, unless I am running.

If you don't use the sights ever, try the tennis ball game. You VS the ball with a friend to throw it and a stop watch. Time starts when the ball hits the ground and ends when you hit the ball. See if instictive shooting or using a sight picture has you getting hits first. Aiming is fast, easy and natural once you get used to it.

Psycho5785 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psycho5785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 12:20pm

I have a scope on my A-5, mostly used to find targets way downfield, out of my range. I have found that you CAN sight in a scope to give you a general idea of where the ball is going. However, 99% of the time, the ball is not going to land right on the crosshairs. It may land near them, or it may not land near them at all. In scenario ball, however, it's very handy to have something that lets you see a good ways downfield. I used to carry binoculars, but they got in the way, got hung up on stuff, etc. So now I have a scope on my marker, and if I need to see downfield, its easy.

I have used my A-5 long enough at this point to be able to do what Nickodemus is talking about. You just become familiar with it.

War Machine Paintball

Standing up for newbies everywhere! We were all newbies once.
LordJovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 1:57pm

DON'T USE THE SIGHTS!

Take this in:

Look at high end guns. Tell me, please tell me, how you can use a sight with a vertical feed coming right out the top of the gun? Why do pros suggest to n00bs to learn how to snap shoot? Why are their guns so accurate if they can't aim down it? Does the gun have a homing device built in?

For those who don't know, snap shooting is knowing where you're aiming without actually "aiming" down the gun. This is a subconscious state of aiming- most don't know how or why they CAN do it. You're actually using your eyes to compare the view of the side of your gun to what you're shooting at. You learn distance ratios- for example, look down the side of your gun. Notice how as you move farther to one side the barrel gets "longer." Knowing where the ball will go when the barrel is a certain angle up and certain "length" will give you an aiming point. Adjustments from there are how "pros" snap shoot. I never aim down the sights, yet I always know where my ball will go. Another tip, in addition to the point of view ratios, many many players who can snap shoot (including myself) need a reminder- usually the first shot (sometimes the second) can give the player another aiming reference point. This also helps in making windage adjustments (shooting long distance against the wind).

Story- I was playing and someone on the other team crawled into the snake. I took a few shots because his head was slightly sticking out (I mean slightly). I noticed how strong the wind was, and took a random shot upward into the wind. I noticed after a certain distance it would curve to my right (where the snake was) and downward to a certain degree. So, after a few test shots, I took a shot that went up, curved right, and dove down right on top of the player's mask and broke (thank you, Marballizer). After a few moments of confusion when the ref told him he was out, he was shocked at how he was hit.

Thats how you shoot. And, to make matters better, I use a solid stock and never considered looking down the sights.

Edited by LordJovian
A-5
E-grip
Chipley Custom Carbon Graphite 16"
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 3:00pm

The pro guns have clean tops for an increased field of view, you keep both eyes open and your vision will parallax around the vertical feed. They are looking down the top of the barrel... that is their sight. Why do you see the pros holding their marker up to their mask?

Instinctive point shooting or snapshooting won't let you hit a basket ball past fifty feet in your first couple shots. Try the tennis ball game and get a true comparision of how you perform, you may suprise yourself. "Point of view ratios"  Snap shooting is about muscle memory and holding your gun level... or at least that is what I remember when I was trained in it. It's to get shots off first at a close distance when combat shooting. The distance estimate is good to assume your amount of drop. Let a couple fly to give you confirmation and adjust your sight picture. Snap shooting should not be your only card in the deck, being able to place well aimed deliberate shots is important when your shooting at each from behind cover at any distance.

Many games I have been trading shots from behind bunkers and eliminated someone when we both poked out and they shot high then too low and I nailed them because my balls went were I was looking when I had the marker lined up properly... aiming, not guessing and counteracting.

Hardly anyone plays with pumps anymore but if you did you would understand.

Edited by Nickodemus

EriK6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EriK6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2005 at 8:50pm

Get a red dot sight.

I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 7:28am

I use my sights for basic target aquisition. it gives me a point of reference when I need to adjust shots, so yeah, I use my sights, although not I don't RELY on them to give me a perfect shot.

I always suggested a gas-thru stock for people who insisted they wanted a stock, but since you've alredy bought the collapsable one, My suggestion is a raised sight rail. Red dot sights never really tickled my fancy. They're great only as cosmetic upgrades as far as I'm concerned.

uber_duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uber_duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 10:15am

first of all you dont really need the sights unless you have like a 22 in.  barrel and ur co2 cranked up at about 800 feet away... but anyways im lookin to buy a tippman a-5 or any tippmann. *i got a spyder (its ok but dont like it as much as a tippmann)* well gotta go back to school work please reply

Borg Warrior
bullseye9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullseye9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 9:05pm
the ghost ring is only a reference point, to get you close. point and shoot
Tippmann A-5
E-Grip
JCS DUAL Trigger
14" J&J ceramic
68/4500
bullet drop
macro line
polished internals
LPK

The damage done to a man should be such that there is no fear of revenge!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic