Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

geez, not again.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:09pm

OS, if you want to base your claim to superiority upon your belief that I do not have children, you are welcome to do so, but I suggest that this is a giant on feet of clay.

I did not say that I do not have children - I simply decline to disclose whether or not I have children, as it is irrelevant to the discussion, as are my religious beliefs, which I also decline to disclose.

And it is in fact irrelevant, as proven by your silly post - by your theory, no parent could ever remain atheist, yet there are millions of examples to the contrary.

All too often, OS, your argument detereorates to "I know better because I have experience X that you don't".  You should know by now that this is a really, really bad argument.  Particularly on the internet, where you are bound to run into people who disagree with you, but in fact have the very experience of which you speak.

Your argument defeats itself.

 

EDIT - for the benefit of third-party readers, OS' prior post (before his edit) essentially claimed that because he has children and I do not, that his opinion carries more weight, and moreover, that as soon as my future child said "no" for the first time I would become more religious.  I.e., parents cannot be atheist.  He appears to now have abandoned that argument.



Edited by Clark Kent
Back to Top
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Joined: 30 January 2004
Location: Japan
Status: Offline
Points: 1498
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:21pm
  I love the expression "I will not let a teacher brainwash my children". There are worse ways of being brainwashed. 3 or 4 hours of television a day, mindless so called "musicians" singing anything that sells, and who knows what on the internet.

I'm not a religious person myself, there is probably no one in this forum who has spent less time in a church than me. But what bad is there taught in religion? Respect, honesty, caring for parents and neighbors, being responsible, loving thy enemies? God forbid my kids ever learn any of that nonsense.

Religion is defined as a belief. Scepticism of religion is still a belief. It's stupid to argue which one is better or worse, that one is more harmful than the other.

Some people dislike religion because they feel their personal freedom of thought and choice is taken away. That they are forced to conform to rules in which they don't believe.

Unfortunately for them, there are rules to living in a society, religious or not. These rules promote the greater good, and allow people to more or less live in peace with each other. Whether defined by religion, or common sense.

Those who are religious have a belief in something greater than themselves, a standard that must be lived up to, as defined by their particular religion.

There are those who argue that religious fighting has caused strife, warfare, and death throughout history. Nonsense, God himself never struck a blow on anyone's behalf.

Wars are fought by men, these men may be kings, bishops, or popes, but in the end they are men who desire the same thing other men have desired throughout the ages. Wars need an excuse to be fought, whether it be for God, justice, or WMD's.

 
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:26pm

Originally posted by TRAVELER TRAVELER wrote:

  I love the expression "I will not let a teacher brainwash my children". There are worse ways of being brainwashed. 3 or 4 hours of television a day, mindless so called "musicians" singing anything that sells, and who knows what on the internet.

I am aware of the issues with that phrase ("brainwash"), which are quite legitimate - and I must of course admit to some hyperbole as well.

In a large sense, of course, childrearing is nothing but brainwashing.  But, generally speaking, we allow parents to decide what kind of brainwashing to allow/participate in.

Are the brainwashing effects of MTV better/worse than state-sanctioned religion?  That would be a matter for the parents to decide, I would think.  I suspect there are a variety of opinions on the matter.

:)

Back to Top
Frank Zappa View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 September 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 218
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Zappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:29pm
The government brainwashes us all in school,mainly history class, so why do we focus on the small insignificant nothing of two words in the pledge?

We should be more concerned on all the conspiracy cover ups.
It's all a conspiracy.

Edgar Cayce>you
Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:41pm

Originally posted by Frank Zappa Frank Zappa wrote:


We should be more concerned on all the conspiracy cover ups.

Check the sig.

Back to Top
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Joined: 26 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 11662
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:43pm
The one thats too big as per KRLs guidlines?

*pokes clark* hehe
Back to Top
Frank Zappa View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 September 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 218
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Zappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by Frank Zappa Frank Zappa wrote:


We should be more concerned on all the conspiracy cover ups.

Check the sig.

Mine> yours.

And thats what they want you to believe.
 
It's all a conspiracy.

Edgar Cayce>you
Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

The one thats too big as per KRLs guidlines?

*pokes clark* hehe

Not too big anymore - I shrank it.    :P

I'm down to 257x149.  Close enough.

Back to Top
Jim Paint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Dukes of Hazzard is SOOO Last Year

Joined: 16 December 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5554
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:48pm
I hear Rambinos been cracking down on sigs.



saepe fidelis
Back to Top
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Joined: 26 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 11662
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

The one thats too big as per KRLs guidlines? *pokes clark* hehe


Not too big anymore - I shrank it.    :P


I'm down to 257x149. Close enough.



Shucks!
Back to Top
TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Joined: 30 January 2004
Location: Japan
Status: Offline
Points: 1498
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:06pm
Political idealogy takes the place of religion in some societies, and it occurs in our own system, particularly in the schools. Has anyone read the modern history of our civil war and compared it to previous histories?

You'd be surprised at what is bent, twisted, or altogether left out. Real religion, or ideology, should be based on truth, but apparently truth is something our educators conveniently leave out when printing our new history.
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
Back to Top
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 July 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:12pm
Agreed - it can be difficult to keep up, but parents should at least browse through their kids' schoolbooks to see what they are learning.  Ultimately it is up to the parents.
Back to Top
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Joined: 05 October 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6050
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Clark, sorry ...forgot how perfect you are....no sense in me argueing with someone as elite as you in the written word, and moral thought.

Translation: I messed with the bull and got the horns, and I don't like how it feels, so I'm leaving.

Back to Top
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Joined: 10 June 2002
Status: Offline
Points: 6548
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 6:29pm
Na, just bored and tired, we both have the "I am right concept" but I unfortuanately am not as well versed in then use of the english language, and as it appears "brainwashed" by conservative talk radio.

Concepts and beliefs are destined to be differant by generation and or life expierience, and only time will say which belief or concept was the better, as our grandchildren look back on these times.

BTW had right knee full replaced, still in the world of painkillers, and left knee due to be replaced Oct 13, so have had a lot of idle sit around bored to tears time, hense internet wandering. Once up and runnin will be full time UNL student, since now DOT disqualified, VA job retraining, and workin so time will be at a premium then. Going Law Enforcement Parole/Probation, state or fed. And then even I will be collage edumacated.

Edited by oldsoldier
Back to Top
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 10 May 2003
Location: Virgin Islands
Status: Offline
Points: 12983
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:00pm
OS, Good Luck with your upcoming surgeries and college/educational challenges.

Back to Top
xteam View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 May 2005
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline
Points: 2144
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:03pm
Back to Top
Johndcjr1989 View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 18 May 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 518
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johndcjr1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:22pm

Originally posted by Frank Zappa Frank Zappa wrote:

Darur.

You would think the Boy Scouts were training terrorists.

But no, its worse, much worse.

They believe in God, and don't let scout leaders be homosexual.

omg does the FBI know about this organization? lol

i dont see the problem with letting grown men that will be spending weeks at a time with young boys alone in a tent/camp be **edited**?  whats the big deal?  lol jk i think its stupid that there is actually an argument over whether or not its alright for these men or any of the boys to be **edited**...if u think about it a **edited** boy would be spending more time alone with the others than the adults would and also has to take showers with these boys...

at school our football manager during the 7th and 8th grade was **edited** but everybody just now found out about it...it was one of those things were ppl say hes **edited** but dont really mean it they just think hes a metro but now he has a **edited** pride org in our town.  sorry to get off topic but that just made me think about how messed up it is that he was watching us shower for two years straight.  ughhh

Rockin' the Ironman Intimidator.

The Original Redneck Gangsta
Back to Top
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Stare directly into my avatar...

Joined: 03 May 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9174
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

I am personally amazed that the ACLU isnt jumping all over and hasnt been jumping all over Kamehameha schools.  Apperently they have also been receiveing Federal money making their Admissions policy unconstitutional.  Instead they are chasing after the Boy Scouts because everyone knows how terrible we are.

<fixed it>



Er, what exactly did you fix?
 
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Back to Top
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
I am even less fun in person

Joined: 15 August 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 16593
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 9:55pm
You had some formatting crap messing up your post.
Back to Top
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Stare directly into my avatar...

Joined: 03 May 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9174
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2005 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

You had some formatting crap messing up your post.


Oh, thanks, sorry, thought I posted a bad word or something
 
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.199 seconds.