Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pres. Bush hates black people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Fat Stalin View Drop Down
Strike 1 Derogatory Sexual Slur 9/22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 12:07am
I think DBib and I were talking more about murders. If you are only talking about muggings, then yes I agree with you. 

DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 12:15am
But that's also relatively unlikely. Walk through the right neighborhood and you run a pretty good risk of possibly getting mugged or punched in the face or whatever it is they do in South East DC.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 12:16am

How would you know, DiBi?  You don't go to SE.

You are generalizing...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 12:27am

Ok - let's talk murders.

In 2002, the murder rate was 8.1 murders per 100,000 people.  That's about 20-22,000 murders.  The rate seems to move between 17k and 24k, as far as I know.

If we are going to compare apples, note that about 40,000 Americans die in traffic accidents every year.

Now as to white collar crime - difficult to get exact stats, since the DOJ simply records "property crime", but I have seen numbers that indicate that somewhere in the range of 1,500,000 Americans are victimized by white collar crime every year.  At that rate, you are 75 times as likely to be defrauded as you are killed.

And, of course, if you aren't poor, black, and male, your chances of getting killed drop SIGNIFICANTLY.  Your chances of getting defrauded don't change.

Or let's take the top end.  Jeffrey Dahmer - perhaps our most famous recent murderer - killed and ate, what a dozen boys?  Now, the guys I linked to above were perhaps the most famous white collar crime.  The cost of that one crime to society was staggering.  Check my link for some basic details.  Some of my favorites: 

• With the money lost from the S&L scandals, the government could have provided prenatal care for every American child for the next 2,300 years.
  • With the money lost from the S&L scandals, the government could have purchased 5 million average homes.
  • Not bad for a couple of nerds with no guns...

Yes, I would rather have been defrauded by an S&L than eaten by Dahmer.  But I would venture that, to society as a whole, the S&L scandal was more harmful than a hundred Dahmers.

Hades View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 2:10am
    Owned, by a girl no less.

At least she is a cute girl.

Nothing wrong with being a girl in my book, either.

Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 12:48pm
    Ah, that was my lady friend that wrote that. But! Ile reply anyway.

I love Clark when she gets in debates and convorsations like this, I always end up learning something. While yes its true, im one scarcely to be found in South East DC. But i know my neices family, their neiborhoods are pretty rough. When i pick up my neice, i get a lot of dirty looks, i got slightly harrassed till her Aunt came out with a broom and said. "You boys bettah not mess wit dat boy, or im a put my foot to ya." Then just said, "Yes ma'am"

Rough neiborhoods are prone to violence. The death a family member ripples throughout and entire comunity. I would venture to say that one type of crime isnt more damaging than the other, or more common, if you are going by the victim, in one murder there are many victims.

Ide say the two are possibly just as damaging, but different kinds of damage, emotional and physical crimes VS. crimes that hit peoples pocket books.

"What did they do with all that money? BUILD THEIR OWN SPACE PROGRAM!?! Hey! Lets build a mission to mars DAD!"- Louise Black.
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 2:57pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

... im one scarcely to be found in South East DC.

My late-night snideness was unnecessary.  My apologies.

Quote ... their neiborhoods are pretty rough. ...Rough neiborhoods are prone to violence.

Hard to disagree with that.  And when I lived in a rough neighborhood, I was a lot more worried about violent crime than about economic crime.  But my point was that most people don't live in rough neighborhoods, and violent crime is very concentrated.  The violent crime rates where most people live is very low. 

Violent crime gets all the press, and it captures our attention, while non-violent crime undermines our economy and our way of life.

Ponder this:  If you are contemplating taking your business to a new country, which risk factor frightens you more - high street crime, or widespread fraud and corruption?  The correct answer is B - fraud and corruption.  Violence can frighten and kill, but economic crime can destroy an entire society.

Quote  The death a family member ripples throughout and entire comunity. I would venture to say that one type of crime isnt more damaging than the other, or more common, if you are going by the victim, in one murder there are many victims.

This is a very good point - a murder does indeed have more than one victim, and I was wrong to only count the dead guy.  I do not mean to undersell the widespread effect violent crime can have on society, but only to suggest that economic crime is a lot more damaging than it gets credit for.

Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2005 at 3:29pm
    Oh i whole heartedly agree. White collar crime deffinatly underestimated, in many cases it gets swept under the rug, if not, considered a necessary evil of doing business.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
      Share Topic