Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Flatline vs. 18’’Sniper Barrels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JamMasterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamMasterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Flatline vs. 18’’Sniper Barrels
    Posted: 08 September 2005 at 1:16am

I've just bought an A-5 and would like to upgrade my barrel. I've heard the Flatline is good for accuracy and range. However it doesn't fare well cosmetically and I've heard of range accuracy issues.

I haven't seen as many reviews for the 18'' interceptor sniper barrel and was wondering what anyone here thinks of the genuine sniper barrels 14-18 inch. I've heard they are accurate with an average range of 150 feet and can be combined with some kewl shrouds to look like real firearms. So how does it compair?

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

RedLion56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedLion56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 9:21am

Flatline will have more range but will not be as accurate

if you want a accurate barrell then get a lapco bigshot 12" which most people reccomend and think that it's the most accurate barrell in the world.As for the tippy works barrell on the pic DON'T get that it's rubbish compared to other barrells for the same price.You might think that the longer the barrell the longer raneg an greater accuraccy but that is NOT the case (BELIEVE ME before you make a mistake and buy a crap barrell)

the lapco bigshot is probably the most accurate barrell in the world and it costs around $40-$50 USD or 30-40 UKP

Edited by RedLion56
A5
12"Bigshot
Pure energy 20ozCo2x2/AntiSyphon
32 degrees Black X_chamber
Pen spring mod
Polished Internals
Sargent Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sargent Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 10:57am
There is no such thing as a sniper. Pretty much what RedLion said. The Flatline does give more distance, but it's not very accurate. Get a Lapco, or J&J Ceramic, or a teardrop/AA. 
Ref: I want a nice clean game
player: but it's paintball!
whack-a-mole View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Member of the "I Have No Life Club"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whack-a-mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 1:52pm
Get the Lapco. The J&J is good too.
NASA and the Americans spent millions of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a pen that would write in space.....The Russians used a pencil.
rossy11223 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossy11223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 3:12pm

The Tippmann "sniper" barrel as the call it, is just a longer stock barrel.

Edited by rossy11223
SuzukiRider987 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzukiRider987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 3:53pm
Get a 12/14" Bigshot. Best bang for the buck.
   MacDev Militia
   Alien - Because winning is more fun.
pooperscooper View Drop Down
I’m not sure where to post this...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooperscooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 4:28pm
I have no expirience with the Bigshot, but I have a Warped Sportz Lucky 15 and my gun is fairly accurate.
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down untill he gets the information he wants.
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 7:58pm
good god...if you get an 18" barrel...just go home.
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 8:19pm
Length of the barrel does not affect accuracy or range after around 6-7".

Get the flatline.
JamMasterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamMasterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 1:43am
This is link to the rifle I was thinking about.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.322764/sc.14/category.83 4/.f

Thanks everyone for your advice. I wanted to see if the flatline is all its cut out to be. I guess the Bigshot or J&J is a good choice. Thanks again!!! :)
Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2005 at 1:43am
A very nice looking scenario gun, but no more accurate than any other.

Okay, I use and have used various barrels and lengths. 16" Armson Stealth, 18" Empire Barrel Kit, 14" Dye Excel, 21" Thunder Pig, and now the FLat Line.

Now as anyone that has played for any length of time will tell you a 21" shoots the same distance as an 8 inch barrel. Accuracy is all about barrel to paint match. A longer barrel just uses more air per shot. A general rule, is that 12-14" is as long as you want your barrel.

The Flat Line shoots futher. But it can be picky on paint and weather plays into it a bit. It doesnt really like the damp and cold that much. Now with that said, the Flat Line's draw backs can be minimized by doing a few things.
1. use the correct paint. It needs small bore paint, like Marbilizers and Pro Ball. It also needs a good shelled paint. Clean paint is also important, no busted paint balls.
2. set the velocity up correctly. Most people see successfull results with the Flat Line from around 250 to 270 fps, some people go a little higher but mostly 250 to 270 or so. You just cant jack the velocity up to 280 and go for it. You have to play around with it a bit.
3. And you have to keep the gun straight up/level when you shoot it. Having it leaned over the slightest bit, will make you shots curve all over the place. This is a big reason for it's inaccuracy issue. Now if your paint is dimmpled or dirty, this also plays in to it.

It takes a little bit of time to set up and get it working right for you. It isnt just a slap on barrel and go. Trust me, I found out the hard way, on that one. My first go with the FL was a disaster. I only played a third of the scenario and had to go to my back up marker.
Halo
CDPaintbal.com
One of the oldest running scenario fields in the southeast.
Dead_George52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead_George52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2005 at 1:50am
Iv got a 14 inch Progressive, it does just fine for me.
untouchable 98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote untouchable 98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2005 at 6:19pm
Is it possible to put an A-5 flatline on a 98 custom without modificaton?
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2005 at 6:58pm
No, you'd have to modify it a lot for it to fit, just buy a 98 custom flatline.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Cheetos3254 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Too cheesy for mere words to describe ..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheetos3254 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2005 at 7:45pm
Dont get the "sniper" barrel. Get the flatline for increased arange and accuracy. But if you decide to get something else dont get a 18" at the most get a 14" anything longer will just use up your air more quickly. Remember just because a barrel is longer doesnt mean that it gives you more range. It gives you better accuracy. The only way you can get more range is if you get the apex barrel, or the flatline or if you turn the velocity up. But dont go past 300fps most fields only allow 280fps
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2005 at 8:11pm
Sniper barrels do not work.

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy or range.
untouchable 98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote untouchable 98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2005 at 8:17pm
I don't like the 98c flatline barrel looks.
YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CANT HIDE!!!
ninety8freak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I have two kinds of wet in my pants

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninety8freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2005 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by untouchable 98c untouchable 98c wrote:

I don't like the 98c flatline barrel looks.
County View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Most Favored Nation Status

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote County Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2005 at 10:09pm
Whether or not the flatline is right for you, we can't say. Some people love it, some hate it.

However, I can say for certain that you do NOT want an 18" barrel. Any barrel that long will do nothing except increase the amount of friction on the ball and cause an increase in barrel breaks.

As mentioned above, you can't beat a Lapco Bigshot.
Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 2:34am
I stil use my 18 inch Empire kit. Very accurate, but it uses a little more air. And it can be a pain trying to get through trees and vines and stuff in the woods.

It would be great for Airball.
Halo
CDPaintbal.com
One of the oldest running scenario fields in the southeast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic