FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Flatline vs. 18’’Sniper Barrels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 12:22pm

Originally posted by JamMasterJ JamMasterJ wrote:

I've just bought an A-5 and would like to upgrade my barrel. I've heard the Flatline is good for accuracy and range. However it doesn't fare well cosmetically and I've heard of range accuracy issues. 

I haven't seen as many reviews for the 18'' interceptor sniper barrel and was wondering what anyone here thinks of the genuine sniper barrels 14-18 inch. I've heard they are accurate with an average range of 150 feet and can be combined with some kewl shrouds to look like real firearms. So how does it compare?

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

First let's get rid of some of the wives' tales. I would guess that claims of Flatline inaccuracy come from people not holding the marker the same shot after shot. Off a bench rest (just like sighting in a firearm) with sand bags used to support and maintain exact position the Flatline will shoot a 6 inch group at 150 ft. Let it tilt to the side ever so slightly so the spin starts to effect side to side disbursement of the paint and the group can open up to 3 feet at the same range.

Longer standard smooth bore barrels do not increase range, BUT with proper port design can reduce muzzle noise dramatically in Tippmanns. I have switched back and forth between the Flatline,  a 17" Stone Cold II and a 12 inch Hammerhead Pro. Number of shots per fill was about the same. I could find nothing to indicate that longer barrels are gas hogs. Acceleration of the paintball takes place in the first 6 to 8 inches of barrel. It is hard to see how a longer barrel that is polished on the inside would significantly slow the ball. The implication has been that the longer barrel requires more gas to keep the ball velocity up for its time of flight through that longer barrel.

There is another advantage to a longer barrel. Though most of us do not really use the sights, the longer sight radius of a long barrel make on-target instinctive shooting easier for most people. Some of the most accurate shots I have ever seen were from barrels that had a 3 ft long piece of plastic water pipe slipped over a stock barrel. The plastic pipe was dramatically oversize for the ball diameter, so analysis by most people was that the long sight radius aided in on-target shooting.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank
Scotchbroth View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Languge 1/27

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchbroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 12:52pm
Flatlines are the way to go! I find them dead accurate and the advantage of that added range is phenomenal. Although i would say that you need to get used to the barrel and practice with it for best results.
Intowishin.net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intowishin.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2005 at 1:31pm

nothing beats the flatline.  let me tell you my experience.  my first marker was a torridx, which shoots 20 bps.  after getting in a shootout with someone on the other team who had a flatline (and losing miserably), i made the decision to purchase a tippmann with a flatline.

i picked one up with a response and i added the low-pressure kit for compressed air.  now, everyone i play with fears my marker.  i shoot further than anyone else and more accurately at the further distances (because i do not have to arch my marker to get there).

here is an example of when/why the flatline is the best barrel.  we decided to play a game of center flag.  my team was comprised of all tippmanns with flatlines, while the other team had only one flatline.  we were able to push the other team back far enough that they couldn't hit us with their markers and capture the flag.  the extra distance means the difference between winning and losing EVERY time.

98 custom
Apex AK-47 Barrel
SUPER response trigger
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 10:55am
BUT, if you have yet to buy the barrel and like the Flatline, take a good look at the Apex!
Scotchbroth View Drop Down

Strike 2 - Languge 1/27

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchbroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2005 at 2:26pm

Originally posted by JamMasterJ JamMasterJ wrote:

I've just bought an A-5 and would like to upgrade my barrel. I've heard the Flatline is good for accuracy and range. However it doesn't fare well cosmetically  

do you think 18" of ugly sticking out the front of your marker fares well cosmetically?

darkmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 5:23pm
Most people must play in small fields, Because for me the added range of the flatline was devastating to my oponents. And even if it was half as accurate as it is ( which is pretty !@#$ good) I would still use it. Maybe i just play on huge fields comparatively
Dopa mi la tempesta
(After me, The storm)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic