FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National Hispanic Heritage Month.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Hah! I finally read the second paragraph of yours.

You actually have a good point about Hawaii. Sure it sounds like a Cultural awareness / unity month could be useful there.

I have no clue what they teach in schools over there but it sounds like the some islanders need to learn how to appreciate others there too.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

You could even call it Mainlanders's awareness month, since I am sure, but it is only a guess, that it isnt just Causasians that are not welcomed all the time there.

Lol, We do need some sort of month to bring everyone together, there is no doubt of that, however usually when we hold diversity or cultral weeks its all about everyone BUT the Caucasians.  Our diversity week at our school for example celebrated Jappanse, Filipino, Hawaiian, and I think Portuguesse (which is basically considered non-caucasian, it goes back to the days of sugar cane, Portuguesse acctually have their own spot on applications here along with Jappanasse, Chinese, Hawaiian etc. while the rest of the Caucasians have their little "white" part).

One thing thats important to remember though is that like whites, not all "locals" (for lack of a better term, its not just Hawaiians) are racist towards Caucasians but that group that is is all you ever see.

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 8:28pm
Yes, I agree. People tend to notice the worse in people and groups of people unfortunately.

Maybe you can speak with you principal and set up a Mainlander's day or a European America awareness month at your school. Maybe it will get big news coverage and the state will do something simailar.

Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 9:13pm
The whole concept of race is way to broad and simplistic in my opinion, anyway.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:17pm

Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

White people are shooting too, it's just predominantly blacks. However, in a city that is a majority blacks, it makes sense. Two plus two does equal four, it doesn't equal an stereotypical "all blacks are commiting crimes" response.

And I don't think anybody is denying that it is predominantly blacks that are doing the shooting.  At issue here are the statements made by some of our thinkers that there wouldn't be as much shooting if this had taken place in a place with fewer black people.  Implication:  "Them negros are an unruly lot". 

A most unsavory bunch of characters, really.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:18pm

Originally posted by Homer J Homer J wrote:

The whole concept of race is way to broad and simplistic in my opinion, anyway.

Heck, it's quite simple:  People who look different from me.

:/

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

White people are shooting too, it's just predominantly blacks. However, in a city that is a majority blacks, it makes sense. Two plus two does equal four, it doesn't equal an stereotypical "all blacks are commiting crimes" response.

And I don't think anybody is denying that it is predominantly blacks that are doing the shooting.  At issue here are the statements made by some of our thinkers that there wouldn't be as much shooting if this had taken place in a place with fewer black people.  Implication:  "Them negros are an unruly lot". 

A most unsavory bunch of characters, really.

You might have misunderstood my post Clark. I completely agree with you. Actually, that is what I am truly trying to say. I completely believe that had this happen in any other city, the outcome would be identicle. However, the National Guard would have been called up before it hit, and sent down right after, not days. But different city, same outcome.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:04pm
Ah.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:05pm
Forgive me for not being quite as easy to understand.
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:06pm
I think that this is an issue of social class and stress. This situation has been a crucible of human charactaristics. Take a bunch of people. Give them limited resourses, right there, you will have a crises, now add mass histeria, panic, mayhem, death, destruction, poverty and a fenominal amount of stress and mob rule. This will happen anyware, no matter what race or creed.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:07pm
Yep - I think that is what most of us think...
Betterdays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterdays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:13pm

I completely believe that had this happen in any other city, the outcome would be identicle. However, the National Guard would have been called up before it hit, and sent down right after, not days. But different city, same outcome.

Then you believe incorrectly. Following Hurricane Andrew in 1992 it took the National Gaurd/FEMA/Army/Navy almost the exact same 4-5 days to respond. I know, I was there.

And there was no wide spread looting either. There was some but it was quickly squashed not just by police but ordinary citizens as well. New Orleans has not risen to this occasion. Now there are some solid socio-economic reasons for this but the blanket statement "different city...same outcome" is patently false.

Edited by Betterdays
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:15pm
I dunno. People are people are people. Given the same circumstances, the only difference is location. It could very well happen somewhere else, again, given the same circumstances.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterdays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:22pm
Oh I agree Dbib that given all the same circumstances, including the pre-existing poverty, it would certainly happen again. 

However all cities are not the same and some cities would respond much more positively than New Orleans has, and I gave an example of one that did.
agentwhale007. View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Flaming 9/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:22pm

Originally posted by Betterdays Betterdays wrote:

And there was no wide spread looting either. There was some but it was quickly squashed not just by police but ordinary citizens as well. New Orleans has not risen to this occasion. Now there are some solid socio-economic reasons for this but the blanket statement "different city...same outcome" is patently false.

Your wrong.

The main differances are that

• Andrew didnt hit Miami/Hialeah as directly as Katrina did to New Orleans
  • After Andrew there was no large amount of standing water, making the process of moving in supplys and support easier.

Comparing the two storms dosnet work. If Andrew would have blindsided North Miami Beach, Hialeah, or Westchester the outcome would have been the same as we are seeing in New Orleans.

Edited by agentwhale007.

Hey, nice marmot!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterdays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007. agentwhale007. wrote:

• After Andrew there was no large amount of standing water, making the process of moving in supplys and support easier.
I know you live in FL are you a fellow Andrew survivor?

Point 1 Katrina actually hit New Orleans less hard than Andrew hit Miami/Hileah.  Max sustained winds in New Orleans were only 100 mph...it was the levees breaking after the storm passed that caused the trouble in New Orleans.

Point 2 absolutely true, which is why the response time of only 4-5 days is actually a better accomplishment than the similar 4-5 days after Andrew.

agentwhale007. View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Flaming 9/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Betterdays Betterdays wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007. agentwhale007. wrote:

I know you live in FL are you a fellow Andrew survivor?

Point 1 Katrina actually hit New Orleans less hard than Andrew hit Miami/Hileah.  Max sustained winds in New Orleans were only 100 mph...it was the levees breaking after the storm passed that caused the trouble in New Orleans.

Point 2 absolutely true, which is why the response time of only 4-5 days is actually a better accomplishment than the similar 4-5 days after Andrew.

I live in Lake County, well out of the way, but I remember everybody freaking out about it.

When it comes down to it, The worst possible out of each happened. It was a Cat 5, It hit a city below sea level thats next to a river, in the worst quadrent of the storm.

Which is why I think getting support to New Orleans was delayed. I dont think its Bush's or anybodys fault. Biloxi and other palces dont seem to have the problems that New Orleans is having.

Alot of the delay of Andrew's support is kind of comical. The fact that Andrew hit, more or less, in the suburban areas of outer-Miami is what caused that. Every freakin' subdivision down there looks exactilly the same. When the roadsigns, markers, and posts were all destroyed, nobody knew how to get anywhere.

Hey, nice marmot!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterdays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:59pm
It wasn't very comical at the time but yes the street sign issue was humorous in retrospect....and glad you were well clear. It was a pain.

You are wrong about the worst case scenario though...and eveyone needs to think long and hard about that. If you recall the news out of New Orleans was originally good. Max sustained winds had only been 100 mph (CAT 2) and things were pretty much okay...until the levees broke after the storm.

This could have been much much worse, imagine wind damage comparable to what Andrew produced working in tandem with the flooding damage of a Camille or Katrina (haven't seen many pics from the coast yet but when we do they are going to be awful) both hitting New Orleans (or other Gulf City) at once...the city would have been literally destroyed and instead of 1,000s of dead there would be 10s of thousands maybe upwards of a 100,000.

And we only missed that nightmare by less than 24hrs and one degree of longtitude...scary stuff.

Edit: and at landfall Katrina was only a CAT 4 even in her eyewall, which is cold comfort for those in her path...but good for historical reflection.

Edited by Betterdays
Frank Zappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Zappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

To answer your question, we live in a global community. In today's day and age people interact with other people all over the world due to technology....

Because of this it is just as important to learn more about the person living in the next state over as it is the next country over. Also living in a nation that is as diverse as the United States, it might be wise to see what other people and where they come from, other than just learning about mom and dad.

If you want to spend your whole life running the coin dispencer at the local arcade and never met or interact with people that are further out of your gene pull than your cousins, that is your choice. But keep quiet for the people that want to learn more than just European History...

Yes, I am aware that more than just white history is covered in history books and my tone can be read as condecending and for that I apologize.

Maybe if more awareness was raised to other Nationalities history than the most important thing your are taught in February wont be about who invented peanut butter but about the man who did alot of pioneering work in blood storage and transfusion techniques and if you ever get a blood transfusion you can thank him...

7th and 8th grade for me focused heavily on global cultures.  Then we have a global cultures class.  I am aware of other accomplishments.  I could understand a month if it was the only time to hear about other lands.  But it isn't.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 5:12pm
Every school is differnt. Most of my schooling was ancient history when I went to class. When it was US history time, it was Revolution, Indians Selling land, Civil War/Slavely, Rail Roads. Gold Rush, then Depression.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic