FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of New Orleans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

No i dont. I dont need to sympathise with stupidity, the bottom line is i have learned to be cold-hearted. If you stayed in the path of a huge huricane and died, thats completely on you.

Thats the bottom line.

You've learned to be cold-hearted how?
In your 16-ish (can't remember exactly how old you are) years living in the comfort of your parents home?
Being cold-hearted is nothing to be proud of either.

In any case, it's not only those who actually died who are suffering from the people's "stupidity," or whatever other reason there was for staying. There are also family members, friends, etc. who are now mourning because they died.

One of my uncles lives in Georgia, and he was missing for 3 days. He couldn't get out of town in time, so he boarded up his house and tried to weather out the storm. He's alright, but it was a nerve-racking couple of days.

It's not a simple matter of jumping on the interstate and taking off. You'd have to travel a rather large distance in gridlock traffic to get out of the storm's path. That in itself could take a full day.

Besides all that, people should have a general sense of remorse when they find out that hundreds (thousands?) of people die for any reason. If you don't, then there is probably something wrong with you.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:11pm
I do feel sorry for the people who didn't have the resources to evac the city. I dont feel sorry for the parasites of the city who stayed with the intent to loot everything. I can agree with stealing food and water, if someone was to steal a bus and use it to evac I can understand that. The people who now have 20 pairs of Pumas and a brand new T.V. from stealing deserve their fate, let them get cholera, hepatitis, or shot.

On another topic, I really dont see the point of completly rebuilding the city. It is under sea level and surrounded by water.

BRad
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:13pm

While I am sure that there are plenty of idiots who decided to stay, simply declaring that "I am tougher than any hurricane", to simply declare it simple is ... ... ... idiotic.  Pure and simple, idiotic.

To compare the evacuation of the Pentagon to the evacuation of New Orleans, on the other hand, is simply ... ... retarded.  Yes, retarded.  I don't pull out the "retarded" often, but that comparison is so far into la-la land as to defy reason of any kind.

Honestly - it is just retarded.  The scale is different, the preparedness is different, the demographic makeup is different, the capabilities are different.  No, actually, not "different" - completely and absolutely unrelated.  That comparison is ...  I think you get the point.  Jeez.

Any blanket declaration that people should just "get up and leave" is simple proof the social inexperience of the declarant.  Some people need to get out more.

agentwhale007. View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Flaming 9/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:18pm
Remember Clark, It was Dbibeau, what did you expect, common sense?

Hey, nice marmot!
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:59pm
I know its apples and oranges. But the point is, that large scale evacuations are possible.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 12:38am

Whale - DiBi is a smart guy, but like the rest of us he occasionally turns off his brain.

DiBi - yes, large-scale evacuations are possible.  Nobody doubts that.  But you persisted in insisting that the comparison was valid, even after it was pointed how off it was.  It was simply a really bad analogy.

benttwig33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Whiner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benttwig33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

I say we nuke them all to fix the problem... Heck it just the East Coast.

I live there.

i think its enough joking around now.
Sig is WAY too big.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Whiner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benttwig33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:02am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

While I am sure that there are plenty of idiots who decided to stay, simply declaring that "I am tougher than any hurricane", to simply declare it simple is ... ... ... idiotic.  Pure and simple, idiotic.

To compare the evacuation of the Pentagon to the evacuation of New Orleans, on the other hand, is simply ... ... retarded.  Yes, retarded.  I don't pull out the "retarded" often, but that comparison is so far into la-la land as to defy reason of any kind.

Honestly - it is just retarded.  The scale is different, the preparedness is different, the demographic makeup is different, the capabilities are different.  No, actually, not "different" - completely and absolutely unrelated.  That comparison is ...  I think you get the point.  Jeez.

Any blanket declaration that people should just "get up and leave" is simple proof the social inexperience of the declarant.  Some people need to get out more.

People didnt get out of new orlenas because they psyically COULDNT

what dont you people understand, those who were in new orlenas when it hit didnt leave because they couldnt
Sig is WAY too big.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 3:04am
Yeah, the preparedness was different the people in NO had days, the pentagon people had no time at all. Woooo..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Whiner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benttwig33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 10:40am
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Yeah, the preparedness was different the people in NO had days, the pentagon people had no time at all. Woooo..

Do you know how many people there are in new orleans?

The new reporters and officials said 2 million people had to pass through there to evacuate
Sig is WAY too big.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 11:04am
To evacuate the Pentagon, all people had to do was leave the building.
Evacuating the path of a hurricane would require moving long distances (like 50 miles).

The two are completely unrelated.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Whale - DiBi is a smart guy, but like the rest of us he occasionally turns off his brain.

DiBi - yes, large-scale evacuations are possible. Nobody doubts that. But you persisted in insisting that the comparison was valid, even after it was pointed how off it was. It was simply a really bad analogy.

Yeah.

It was horible what happened, no one is denying that, but if people acted differently, it wouldnt be half as bad, the lost homes would still be an issue,a nd New Orleans would still need to be rebuilt. But people have started to doubt the power of Nature. Day to day, when we live in a world where we basicaly shape our own lives, it gives us a false sense of power. When faced with a storm, we feel we can shape our own destiny like in any other situation, we feel that we are strong. We forget that we are little more than animals in the face of nature. Animals flee in the face of large storms, for whatever reason, we do not.

This was a horrible tragedy. I dont know who, but someone failed on a massive level. Be it the federal organization of FEMA or the state and local municipalities of the southern cities Louisianna. Someone screwed up royally by underestamating the power of the storm.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

To evacuate the Pentagon, all people had to do was leave the building.
Evacuating the path of a hurricane would require moving long distances (like 50 miles).

The two are completely unrelated.

Eh, well, not really, the people that evacuated had to walk quite a ways, they couldnt use their cars at all, they had to walk to other secured sites. Some of them had to walk all the way to the other side of DC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic